Blue Nile Employee Reviews

finance department = DISASTER
Finance (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA14 February 2018
The lack of clarity regarding job descriptions is used as a way to get the most out of their employees without properly compensating them (watch for the commonly used phrases, “Numerous ad hoc projects as needed – every day is different”, "Ad hoc projects, as deemed necessary", or “Other projects and initiatives as needed”, used throughout job descriptions).

If you are unfortunate to interview here, I strongly encourage you to ask about:
1. YTD resignations (how many, why, who’s keeping track of all of the LOST KNOWLEDGE?, where is the work going from all the employees who have resigned this year and last year?)
2. average tenure among Finance employees
3. how many employees have been hired from a third-party recruiting company just to get heads in seats out of fear of future resignations
4. number of internal Finance promotions this year (and what they are doing to groom staff for promotions)
5. required number of weekends per year and average hours per week put in by the Finance team
6. their strategy on retaining good, hard-working Finance employees (look for a statement regarding strategy change, as their current strategy isn’t working and hasn’t worked), and
7. has Finance leadership changed recently? If not, candidates should accept the risks.

Watch for hesitation, shadiness and/or lack of acknowledgment / accountability in responses. To work for a company that prides itself on “Authenticity: Being transparent in our dealings with customers and each other”, interviewers need to show candidates the same respect and openly share this information. Failure
  more... to disclose this information would mislead candidates.

Large amount of consultants trying their hardest to implement “best practices”. They don’t really care about low morale or individuals they have caused to leave the organization just by their presence. Fortunately, those previous employees took knowledge with them as they left, so the consultants are getting what they asked for. I’m sure they are implementing “best practices” while trying their hardest to determine what knowledge has escaped the organization recently.
Pros
volunteering, team building
Cons
Too many to list!
Prospective FINANCE Employees: 2018 TURNOVER RATE is currently on track to exceed 2017’s level (>50%)
Finance (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA (Sketch Pioneer Square)13 February 2018
EXTREMELY HIGH TURNOVER. The Finance team’s 2017 turnover rate was >50% and doesn’t include the Planning LAYOFFS earlier in the year. For 2018 YTD, more employees have resigned than this time last year. As of today, there are five Finance positions available, and all are due to RESIGNATIONS. It's not uncommon for employees to basically get fed up and resign without job opportunities lined up, which says a lot about the current leadership in place. The current EXODUS is created because people want to get away from POOR LEADERSHIP. Do not be manipulated by POOR LEADERSHIP concerning the TURNOVER RATE. How high does the Finance and Accounting TURNOVER RATE have to get before it raises a huge RED FLAG and causes one to question the POOR LEADERSHIP currently in place?!

Joining the Finance team in its current state (under current POOR LEADERSHIP) means you have to be comfortable resigning before your year is up and willing to take on all of the additional work from the employees who have RESIGNED. I left the company only after a few months with no job lined up and I'm much happier that I'm no longer there. Multiple attempts were made to get me to stay longer, but everyone failed to realize that leaving the department scrambling and in complete shambles was a higher priority for me. Looking back on it, the only thing I regret is that I should have made my resignation effective immediately. They didn't deserve obtaining any knowledge that I had acquired in my short tenure there.
Pros
Encouragement of volunteering, Monthly Team Building
Cons
Too many to list!!!
Hated working here
Online Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA4 February 2018
Although they tried to boost morale, they weren't fully supportive and it was hard to get days off. This was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, and their management was iffy. Some were great and some were not. They were all good to the customers, but weren't always good to the employees. Customers were also hard to deal with, which made it hard when management wasn't consistently supportive.
Good retail company
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA18 September 2017
It is a good well established company to work for providing beautiful products at a great price. Improvements could be made in how the company is run and moral could be better.
Environnement de travail agréable
Coursier polyvalent (Former Employee) –  Genf, GE2 June 2017
Le travail était facile et demande de la communication et du déplacement que j'aimais accomplir.
Pros
Le bureau se trouvait à côté de chez moi
Cons
Peu de travail et salaire minimale non fixe
Great enviornment with Supervisors willing to teach and coach
bench jewler 1 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA8 April 2017
Its a great place to work with great benefits. And all of the coworkers come from many different places around the world. The supervisor of the shop is great and very personable. he's also very willing to listen and address any concerns or questions.
Pros
Its just an all around great place to work
Cons
advancement is hard if you have little experience
productive
Waiter (Former Employee) –  kenya25 March 2017
i learned working in a conducive environment and working according to my skills
i liked the work but wanted to enhance my skill set,i am looking for a better opportunities
Customer support
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA1 February 2017
Learning that diamonds really are a girls best friend. Worked with people on their happy endings wedding and engagement rings were hand selected and perfectly picked.
Productive and fun workplace
eCommerce - Diamond and Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA27 January 2017
Team Oriented and goal oriented job. Consult with potential clients by phone and email. Fast paced multi-tasking environment.
Good culture, low wages compared to market
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA22 November 2016
Good culture but low wages compared to market. Many people would love to stick around but with Seattle cost of living and current market wages, it is hard to not look elsewhere.

Want to know more about Blue Nile?

Ask a question
Worst place I've ever worked!
Senior Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA12 November 2016
Tense, punitive culture. Horrible managers who don't receive any managerial training, don't improve, but keep their jobs no matter how bad they are, how many people quit under them, or how many people go to HR about them. Working there was one of the WORST experiences of my entire life.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Culture, people, managers
Great Culture and Vision
Diamond and Jewelery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA7 November 2016
Blue Nile is a great place to work as they still have a start up culture even though they have been in business for 17 years have over 50 employees as well as holding the title of being the largest diamond retailer online. They make the work place feel fun and competitive while also having leadership who are interested in who you are and where you are going. Sometimes, the compensation did not feel adequate for the work put in but this is the draw back of being lean and competitive in todays high end markets and is made up for in the great benefits package.
Pros
10cent cokes, free apples, great location, great facilties
Cons
Pay, Department Favoritism
I liked who I worked with and THATS IT!
Diamond and jewelry consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA17 October 2016
You clock in for the day and you are waiting for a call from a customer while checking your emails, voicemails and following up with customers that you have been working with. A lot of knowledge to learn about products and diamonds. Which I didn't mind at all. When you don't know how to answer a customer question they have a area in there system that you can find the answer. Lots of issues with that but don't want get in to too much details. Management has favorites that have been working for the company for a while. I would ask for help on challenging situations and then I think the issue is solved but 1 month later the customer is calling back because the situation was not resolved and or money hasn't been refunded etc. I felt like past customers that didn't have great service would haunt me. I liked a hand full of co workers. Mostly everyone doesn't like their job and you heard it everyday and that wasn't very encouraging. The work can be very overwhelming and you can get back to back anger customers that have either had no follow up for several days and then you would have to resolve it or find the person that they spoke to last. If the issue that you took over didn't get resolved it can go to your manager and the last person to make changes can get blamed for what the first person didn't do. I enjoyed good days because it was rear. I decided to leave because I thought I would never grow with the company. The turn over is too much. Maybe 1 to 2 people a week !
Nice atmosphere at work.
Assistant Planner - Bridal (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA7 December 2015
Typical date of work is 10-12 hours. Salary is to small vs scope and work hours. Co-workers are very nice. Not correctly management of people and work.
Cons
Short breaks
Dead-end jobs. Company in decline.
Sucker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA27 July 2015
Poor management. Horrible benefits and pay. No opportunity for advancement. No life-work balance. They will chew you up and spit you out, expect no respect from management. The only good thing about working here is to add something to your resume, but even then every company knows how horrible the work ethic is there and will not consider you seriously. They express that they have high standards when really the quality is just plain cheap and overpriced. There is a high turnover rate.
n/a
International Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA24 June 2015
Pros: “Peers are supportive. Hours very long. Too much of an unknown on hours/schedule.”

Cons: “Battle within management was hard on family. too much uncertainty.”
Freedom, not recognition.
Web Support Developer II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA26 April 2015
Developers are given a lot of freedom to improve Blue Nile outside of business requirements, but not recognized or compensated well for their efforts.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Addis Ababa Ethiopia25 March 2015
Your day will usually include being able to balance your routine maintenance tasks with diagnosing problems reported by your network users.
Handled technical troubleshooting within an enterprise environment, including system crashes, slow-downs and data recoveries
Computer assembling and maintenance
Troubleshooting hardware and software problems
Installing and configuring the peripherals, components and drivers
Configuring, Managing and Maintaining Networking equipment.
Amazing working environment
BLUE NILE CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA15 January 2015
At Blue Nile, everyone wants to succeed. To succeed, everyone works together to assist customers. No one is left to find their own answers. The company is small and therefore more personal interactions are possible between representatives and managers. Everyone is always learning new things and processed to help our customers in the best possible manner.
Wonderful people, but an environment that didn't have enough resources to really grow.
Diamond and Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA30 August 2014
A typical work day is pretty routine in the company. You do definitely have a chance to learn about a lot of things, from jewelry to the internal computer system itself. Co-works are very wonderful people and can assist greatly when it comes to the job function. Hardest thing about working in the company is dealing with schedules as shift can very and days off may change. Company doesn't really seem to care much about employees dealing directly with customers.