Dawn Meats Employee Reviews

Nasty work and treated unfairly.
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Waterford4 May 2017
I worked in the kilmac plant.the place is a disaster.
Apply only if u are very very stuck for work.
They avertise positons to work up in the factory during busy periods to entice people to work harder for there chance to rise up but never follow thru on these.i worked 60 hours a week and its still happening there now.
Pros
Cons
To many
Very unplesant experience
General Operative (Former Employee) –  granagh23 October 2016
Typical day at work involve doing every dirty job what general operative can do, cleaning, caring heavy boxes or doing hard job on production line. I learned how to clean and thats all. There is no much to learn.
Management in abattoir is biggest problem in company and thats the reason why people leaving company. They are kind but most annoying part of job is when you receive payslip and you realize that they didnt pay all hours worked, even when you complain about that they just gives you a lies and false hope. Cut hours is very common thing in company and beside hard job, this is the second worst thing in company.
Pros
Most of co-workers is nice and friendly.
Cons
Long hours, cut-hours, bad management, dirty and hazard jobs
Irish company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ireland10 October 2016
Take total advantage of the economic situation in Ireland and make you work long hours in a bad working environment for very little pay
Plenty of opportunities.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterford27 January 2016
The company has grown so much in the last 10 years that there are openings to try out new challenges and for personal and professional development The graduate program gives you exposure to all areas of the business and while the work is hard it is encouraging to see former graduate program recruits in senior positions today.
Pros
Great People, opportunites to develop
Cons
Not many
interesting and fun workplace
work experience (Former Employee) –  WD25 August 2014
each day i would go in and help set up the workplace for the days work where i would prepare and package the meat and place on the vacuum-pack machine where the packaging is sealed. i also helped to prepare, package and label steaks. at the end of each work day i would help to clean down all the equipment, tables,etc.
I learned all the different types of cuts of meat and how to prepare them properly, i learned how to work different machines that i had never used before.
I got along well with all my co-workers, they were all very friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was getting used to the different meats that i had to package and to know which packaging they were to be put into.
The most enjopyable part of the job was learning new skills and getting to know my co-workers.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
smelling like raw meat after a days work
Productive but repeative
Manual/Packaging (Former Employee) –  Ballyhaunis, MO16 January 2014
Start work for 7am. Begin on the Vac Pack machine by loading packaged bags of different cuts of meat onto the conveyer belt where the machine will then process the meat through a tunnel and stamp down on the bag sealing and removing any air inside the plastic bag. The machine is timed so you must be capable of reloading the belt driven line every 10 seconds. As orders would increase during the day I then could be asked to make boxes out in the packaging side of building and this would only last for 1-2 hours max. once the management received all orders I would be then reinstated to operate the vac pack machine for the remainder of my shift and was instructed to clean the machine thoroughly at the end of each day using several cleaning products. breaks were at 9:30 am for 15 minutes and dinner time was at 1:30 pm. This was the most enjoyable time of the day as I would meet friends working in other areas of the factory. Most of my co workers had very poor English so it was sometimes difficult to understand them which made the job very quite. Most enjoyable part was doing overtime because it was then where other friends would join my section of the factory and would make the work more enjoyable. I learned a lot about the production and preparation of meat and all the different cuts to which a sheep is prepared to. The management was always helpful and friendly which gave me a sense of confidence when asked to complete new tasks.
Pros
Free tea and discount on meat products
Cons
Never a set finish time as always running the risk of overtime
fun place
packer (Former Employee) –  Cross, WD12 August 2013
great place being part of team lots training course hard work being in doors
Pros
time and half over time
Cons
smeel meat
Factory worker (Former Employee) –  Ballyhaunis6 May 2013
I was working there for 2 months. It was for long hours each day, usually around 55 hours per week. I was let go in January as they were cutting back on staff.
Pros
overtime pay
productive workplace
general operative (Former Employee) –  killmacthomas11 January 2013
learned how to oparating machine and deal with food or edible products, we worked on our own or in teams, nice staff, I improved my communication skills there.
Pros
salary, friendly workplace
Cons
cold area