Esri Employee Reviews

Productive, friendly
Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire26 October 2017
EsriUK is part of the world’s leading mapping technology company, with a challenging and rewarding place to work. Friendly environment gives you various opportunity to develop your carrier
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Long working hours
Flexibel IT bedrijf met veel kennis
HR-medewerker (Former Employee) –  Rotterdam29 September 2017
Esri Nederland is een organisatie die streeft naar het beste resultaat. Dit dragen zij op een goede manier over op hun mensen, je kunt het zien als je met ze praat: de passie wordt door iedereen gedeeld. Er is op een hoog niveau aan kennis aanwezig bij de werknemers. De cultuur is open en familiair. Als je een gezonde dosis motivatie en ambitie hebt kan je in dit bedrijf ver komen.
Pros
Mooie ruimtes, personeelsvereniging, aandacht voor de medewerker, laptop en telefoon van de zaak
Great company but poor management teir
Senior Programming Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA8 September 2017
Great company but poor management teir.
Worklife balance is good and benefits are also great, but you are only vested in your benefits after 5 years of working at ESRI.
Poor Mgmt, Low Pay, Great Colleagues
GIS Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA20 June 2017
I enjoyed most of my time at Esri. It was my first job out of tech school and I couldn't have been more excited to be working for the industry leader in GIS. In support, there a couple of different shifts to choose from, which meant I could opt to work from 7, so I could leave earlier in the afternoon.

I learned way more in my 2 years as a support analyst there than I would have with any other organization. Dealing with clients in all states of mind was fantastic, I learned soft skills, like patience and compassion, which I have been able to take with me and use throughout my career. Technically, I became very resourceful and technically savvy, learning to think and talk on my feet, digging up answers without losing the client's confidence.

The biggest issue I had was the way the advancement worked. In order to apply for an internal position, be it within your current department or in another department, you need to have your managers permission. This leaves a lot up to subjectivity - if you are great at your job, they might want to impede your professional progress, so as not to lose you, if they like someone else better, they might sign off on their application, and not yours. These types of things happened often and made the environment less than pleasant for those affected. Managers were often promoted by way cronyism or nepotism, and not always leadership qualities and skills.

As an entry level position, the pay was OK, but not really good. Increases are based on "merit," which is determined by your manager. Sick, Bereavement and Vacation time available
  more... were bare minimum, health and dental coverage was excellent. Coming from another country, the recruiting staff were incredibly helpful with the immigration paper work and worked tirelessly to get me over some major hurdles and into my position there.  less
Pros
On-site cafe, benefits, great entry-level position
Cons
Poor advancement structure, compensation packages not great, Management not properly trained
Good benefits, good compensation but stressful environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA25 May 2017
Benefits to working at Esri, on site cafeteria with great daily selections and specials. No cost health insurance for not only employee but dependents as well. On site workout facilities and casual dress work environment.

Cons, no direction from management, extremely stressful work environment.
Great company and interesting work. Toxic management
Marketing and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2017
This company is doing some really great work. Their employees are passionate about what they do. The trouble is with the management - Very toxic.I demonstrated that I was capable of taking on alot and they responded in kind by loading me up with work. When it came time for advancement, I was looked over despite having a huge body of work and achievements. They ended up hiring an MBA grad whom I ended up hand-holding.

The hardest part of my job was navigating a toxic management culture. They promote people to key positions who do not possess the skills necessary to manage people. Instead they opt for education credentials when promoting and time on the job. Don't get me wrong, time on the job is an important consideration but the reality is some people are simply not cut out to people manage. It would be okay if they supported these managers/directors with leadership coaching but frankly ESRI suprisingly does not see the value in that.

I thoroughly enjoyed my job, I had the opportunity to work on so many exciting writing/projects.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Long hours, very little recognition
Laid back workplace
PRODUCT MANAGER / SENIOR CARTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA27 March 2017
Great company to work if you are interested in making money, but don't care much about moving up in the organization.
No discernible way that decisions are made, so you can't have an impact on what you are going to do next.
Extremely inefficient internal communication between functional groups, no career growth-paths, but you can learn on your own a lot.
Pros
flexible work hours, benefits
Cons
boring and repetitive work
Benefits good, poor management
Contracts (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA20 March 2017
Esri is a small company that is suffering from growing pains. It wants to be large, but does not have sufficient infrastructure to move to the next level. Technology and market leadership are important, but they do not invest in their people or promotion opportunities. Plan to stay in the SAME role even if you are ready for more challenges.
Pros
free coffee, flexible schedule, some working from home
Cons
No advancement, Good old boy mentality, nepotism
Good work life balance
Internship (Former Employee) –  Delhi, Delhi10 March 2017
The employees at ESRI are self motivated. The management gives freedom to its employees. Work culture is highly efficient and the office is very good.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CA7 March 2017
I've learned to build on my communication and collaboration skills in a world class company. A typical day in my position is high volume of customer requests via phone, chat and email for many departments in the company, including but not limited to corporate reception, customer service, and technical support services. Esri Reception receives tens of thousands of calls per month and has been recognized for ensuring customer satisfaction, speed and accuracy in the routing of technical support calls.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
highly competitive cororate culture

Want to know more about Esri?

Ask a question
Friendly and productive environment, encourages learning new things.
Software Products Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA7 March 2017
Got to learn a lot about Coded UI and MVVM automated tests, and about different standards or procedures followed during a SDLC.
A typical day at work would start off with a scrum meeting where each member discusses what his/her plan of action for the day is or if they are having any roadblocks other teammates would suggest possible solutions.
It is a great place to work at. Everyone is passionate about their work and is always ready to help. The overall environment is one that nurtures learning.
Awesome compnay
Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA6 March 2017
esri is a great company. I had a good time there!
I was an intern Product Engineer and my job was mainly about making demo for my team's product. My manager was very friendly and cohorts are nice and helpful.
ESRI is a great company to work for
Full time accounting (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2017
I started as a co-op student and eventually worked their full time as a summer job. Great hospitality was shown to me and recommend it to anybody else.
Oppertuinity to grow
Technical test analysis (Current Employee) –  Noida, Uttar Pradesh5 February 2017
Opportunities are provided ,encourages extensive communication , Full responsibility of your module,client interactions etc. is always available. Intensives are provided, and I was able to balance my professional and personal life.
Pros
Excellent work culture, able to balance personal and professional commitments
Excellent Company, fun work environment, great opportunity to make a difference
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA2 February 2017
I interned at Esri and one thing I can say for certain, you will fall in love with the work they do and how they do it. I got the chance to work on my own ideas during my internships and mentor/managers will go a step further to help/teach you.
Cons
I can't think of any cons
Overall great place
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA12 January 2017
The best place for a geographer to work! Sometimes a little workload heavy, but that is to be expected with any company. Everyone loves coming to work. They treat employees wonderfully.
A very supportive team
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur11 December 2016
I get a lot of support from my Team Lead and mates.The work load here is very seasonal - usually slowing down nearing winter. A place to work for those GIS geeks out there!
Pros
A lot of personal time
Cons
Needs better healthcare plan
Productive, yet laid-back workplace
Enterprise Integrations Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CA30 November 2016
Esri is a tight-knit company, known the world over for its geographic information system (GIS) development and applications. The CEO is very active at Esri's Redlands HQ, and is very involved with the staff.

The atmosphere is "professional casual", at least in the information technology building where I worked. Break and lunch times were fairly lax, and a typical day would usually involve mixing meetings, busywork alone, and breaks. Despite the laid-back atmosphere, tasks and projects are still generally completed on time and according to specifications.

Management was particularly excellent at Esri. Since it's a relatively small company, managers know each other very well even between departments on different sides of the campus. Generally, everyone will make time to accommodate you if there are any questions you need answered. Management in my group was excellent, and made very good progress on scheduling between team members and allocating enough workforce to complete projects.

However, there is still overtime expected of staff here, which I believe is a fair trade for the relaxed atmosphere this workplace gives. If you are looking just to reduce your work hours, this company may not be for you.

Redlands is only accessible using the I-10 freeway, which means that it shares a lot of commute space with people going to and from Los Angeles. Because of this, the commute tends to be pretty bad.
Pros
Cafe on campus, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Bad commute
Good Place to Work
Project Manager AX & CRM (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury21 September 2016
As an experienced PM working in the contract arena I was very impressed at the freedom I was given at Esri from day one! Trust was literally handed to me from day one! No one was 'looking over my shoulder to check. My typical day began with a 'Scrum' type Skype meeting with my work-stream managers where we discussed new ideas, risks & issues, achievements and work for the day ahead. My managers were not afraid to say 'I don't know how to do that! Where I would arrange our 3rd party consultants to come in and show how it was done! Managers and staff were very nice people, generous with their time and advice to my questions. A real pleasure to work with!
El google del GIS
Tecnico GIS (Former Employee) –  Madrid, Madrid14 July 2016
Es sin duda el mejor ambiente laboral en el que he trabajado jamas, gente totalmente acojedora, que fue la mayor impresion en la primera semana. Por lo demas, gente muy muy trabajadora....siempre con proyectos arriba y proyectos abajo.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esri. Our community is ready to answer.