International Monetary Fund Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with diverse teams and workforce
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC3 September 2016
Working for the IMF is a great experience. You get to work on teams with people from all over the world, on issues that directly affect dozens of countries, and constantly interact with top talent. They emphasize work-life balance and and encourage time off.
Leaves a lot of room to be desired, as a contractor
Archives and Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC14 July 2016
Wage was OK as a contractor, but I felt we were disrespected. There was absolutely no room for advancement, and only minimal professional development offered.
productive atmosphere for interns
Externship program 2016 annual meetings (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC19 September 2016
- Coordinate with coworkers to fulfill assignments during preparation for the annual meeting 2016.
- Social media campaign focused on DMV area universities emphasis in social justice.
- Contact guests and prepare timeline of events during the meeting.
It was very interesting job.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, ON27 July 2016
My experience at the International Monetary Fund was very great. My colleagues were very cooperative and interesting. Unfortunately, I could not extend my contract.
Pros
My colleagues were great and the obligations were challenging.
Cons
Contract expired
Ideal working environment for any culture of people
Staff Assistant Special Office Support (SOS) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 April 2016
Most ideal and diverse place to work. I have worked at the Fund for 6 years, and the time spent was very rewarding in my career as an administrative personnel.
Nce
SQL Server DBA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC8 April 2016
Best place to work and I like the work culture. meeting people from different country. good to part of the team. they have cafe and restaurant in the building where you can what you need any time you need but it is little expensive for the food.
Fantastic benefits, extremly smart and motivated people, very little room for advancement
Information Technology Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC18 April 2015
World class organization with best of bred tools and top notch dedicated people from around the world. Extremely busy pace, no day is the same. You will never be bored here. The benefits are not to be matched. Very risk adverse and slow moving, hierarchical culture, people rarely leave so there is very little room for growth and fierce competition when a position comes open.
Pros
World Renound Global Organization
Cons
Expectation that you are available to respond 24/7
Great experience, but not career progession
Unit Coordinator (Departmental Rotation) (Former Employee) –  Washington DC, USA11 August 2014
As a staff assistant, the main role was coordinating a unit in a department. I was on rotation so had numerous assignments throughout the organisation. The majority of work was carrying out administrative support and delivering work packages to management.
Pros
Professional culture
Cons
No career progression opportunities
Not bad / but there was no benefit for contractors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC18 March 2016
Diversity environment
Workers are friendly
Hardest part is no matter how hard you work, no benefit for you
No chance for growth
Pros
Cons
Not much opportunity for growth especially for contractors
Nice working environment with nice team workers around
Spring Meetings Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC15 October 2014
I worked three day a week from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I worked in a branding team which mainly do branding pieces for spring meetings. I also assisted secretary department with meeting room assignment, as well as checking emails and contacting meeting groups. This work is a good chance for me to get involved in event and meeting management world to learn hands-on skills.
Pros
Nice working environment; Nice leaders.
Cons
no salary
Productive fun International workplace
Senior Management and more than (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC24 October 2014
Typical work day was busy, fun, and interpersonal.
Learned different cultures. Promoted to different positions.
Great management team in all positions.
Loved my coworkers. We worked well together.
The hardest part of the job, was when I got laid off due to financial restraints. Leaving my friends.
The most enjoyable part was being productive, and having a friendly and helpful environment.
Pros
Fun Holiday Parties
Great place to gain work experience as an international civil servant
Legal Extern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 March 2016
A typical day involves doing plenty of research, drafting reports and attending meetings. The co-workers are amazing and great team players.
Only great for Macroeconomists
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC10 April 2015
There is no career growth path for other job-streams in the organization unless you are VERY GOOD at playing the office politics game.
Terrible and Rigid work environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 October 2014
This places fosters no creativity or advancement if you arent a favored individual. I personally never had this issue, people liked me but...I saw how long it took for my team members to advance and more likely not advance and stay in the same positions with the same low salaries. This of course makes people who have been there forever in the same positions 1 unmotivated and 2 think they are somehow special by bossing newer people around. The best part of working at the IMF is that they always have free food and the alcohol runs rampant!!! I would say that if you don't have the "look" you probably arent going to go very far in this environment people take their rank very seriously.
Pros
free alcohol
Cons
you will feel inferior
Interesting place to work
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC7 February 2014
Although my tenure at the IMF was brief due to my contract, I had the time to get a glimpse of the culture and environment. In short, there are many brilliant people who work at the Fund and seem to strive to ensure the Fund's global reputation and efforts are of the highest quality. This is a challenge given the global economy, the need to be continually agile in responding to new challenges and risks and the political pressures that are put on management to do things in a certain way.

The IT department appears to be a good place to work as does the Office of Internal Audit. The people I worked with were very friendly and always going the extra mile, but they all seem to be in a continual catch-up mode as information doesn't sleep and controls seem to be under constant threat. IT seems to respond to business wanting to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology rather than ensuring the foundational technologies are solid and support business.

The biggest challenge was the maze of the buildings themselves. You need a map! But if you can find the extraordinary cafeteria - these guys have their own sushi bar! - you will find yourself immersed in so many different cultures and languages. That made the experience fun.
Pros
Working environment, people, cafeteria
Cons
Organization design, confusing and competing strategies, the bloody cold walk from the Metro
Most prestigious organization
Translation Editorial Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC28 January 2016
I loved working at the International Monetary Fund. Met many multinationals. Had a lot of fun. Mastered many software programs and gained a great experience.
Pros
Great holiday parties
Cons
short lunch breaks
Productive and nice place to work
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC15 October 2015
Support the environment
Appearance care is great
Safety and security
Relax people
Mobile Device Technology Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC9 May 2014
People are fun, very interesting. The culture is great. The policy about advancement and talent promotion needs to be more aggressive
Excellent benefitss and job security.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC18 September 2013
The benefits are best and job security is good.

The work is extremely interesting and if you like to travel this is the place to be.
too many managers wanting everything
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC2 July 2012
Upper management is unorganized
long hours, work over time with little or no notice