International Monetary Fund Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and nice place to work
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2015
Support the environment
Appearance care is great
Safety and security
Interesting and demanding work
IMF Deputy Managing Director Admin. Assist (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 5, 2015
Working for the IMF in Washington for 7 years, it was the most interesting work in my life. I started in the support group for the whole office and at the end of the 4th year I was in the office of the Deputy Managing Director.
Most of the work was to look after the DMD´s agenda, daily Board Meetings, travel authorization.
stable job with no advancement
Accounting (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 30, 2015
The working environment is nice but people are superficial. Contractual has few opportunity to be promoted or converted. Political fight is very intensive. managers talk behind your back.
Nice place to work!
Bilingual Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 29, 2015
At the IMF, I had enjoyed working with diverse cultures! The work was demanding but yet challenging and interesting!

You will work with great people
IT/Corporate Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2015
Working at the International Monetary Fund is a challenge and privilege. You will work with many smart people from all over the world, but you will really have to work hard!
A great place to work
Senior Technical Assistance Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
This is a great place to work. The office environment is conducive to productivity. The salary and benefits are great. The learning opportunities through internal courses are fantastic. I actually like the cafe as well - great food.
If you're permanent staff, then you're gold
IT Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Parties with free food, wine and spirits monthly, diverse work environment
Cons: Nearly impossible to become permanent staff in tech field
If you're permanent staff, then you're gold. The IMF has many departments and contracts staff for nearly all of its technology positions. Depending on which contractor you're with, ultimately determines your fate here.

The IMF permanent staff are from all corners of the world so you'll be exposed to a lot of cultural differences. It's a cool place to work if you're in Research, Economics, or Law but if you're in the tech field I'd strongly suggest keeping your resume active.
Fantastic benefits, extremly smart and motivated people, very little room for advancement
Information Technology Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2015
Pros: World Renound Global Organization
Cons: Expectation that you are available to respond 24/7
World class organization with best of bred tools and top notch dedicated people from around the world. Extremely busy pace, no day is the same. You will never be bored here. The benefits are not to be matched. Very risk adverse and slow moving, hierarchical culture, people rarely leave so there is very little room for growth and fierce competition when a position comes open.
Only great for Macroeconomists
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
There is no career growth path for other job-streams in the organization unless you are VERY GOOD at playing the office politics game.
Great diversity, great teams
Project Manager /Support and Implementation Lead (Current Employee), Washington DCApril 3, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: Commute is very difficult
My daily schedule involves:
lots of meetings
preparation of reports
responding to 100s of requests and questions
reviewing teams work assigning new tasks
going to lunch with great co-workers
The hardest part - is to have all teams involved on the project to deliver on time
The most enjoyable part of the job - working with intelligent and talented people from all over the world
Great people
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
You will meet people from all over the world and learn from their experiences. The more people you interact with, the better the experience will be.
Job security/intellectually challenging/prestige
Country Economist (Former Employee), KinshasaFebruary 5, 2015
The IMF is a great organization to work at if you can make it in.
You can strike the perfect balance between work/travel and family life. Interesting missions all around the world. Flexibility to work in many different departments. Great perks. Lots of vacations. Prestige and strong connections with public officials all around the world. See the world in color by knowing the true information on many issues.
Very busy
Cisco Voice Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 15, 2014
• Monitor Remedy for trouble tickets, resolve tickets within established SLA’s
• Provide Tier 2 support to all users
• Direct telephony and computer installation teams to ensure timely and correct installations and removals.
• Respond to emergency installs
• Configure Analog Gateways for fax and modem us (activate/deactivate analog ports using Putty)
• Configure all phone and fax lines for high level meetings
• Led project to install ATA’s on analog devices
• Led project to reduce number of Analog Gateways from 25 to 6
I m looking for a good job
Wagir Akbar Khan position Security Advisor (Former Employee), Wagir Akbar Khan, kabulDecember 14, 2014
As long I was working with Afghan guards I found very difficult to brief them in their language but on fortunate there was some who can speak hind because afghani guards they don't speak english also. I learned with my expact that always to aware and duty on time and there is no word as tomorrow. My hardest part of the job was while taking my client to the site operation because I have to be very alert to watch every direction for the safety from Talibani attacks like suicide attacker, magnetic device and fire firing attacks this is while I go with my client as a scort. The most enjoyable in my job was client or my expact was very good to me as well my security guards was also good with me. As long as I working in Afghanistan I really enjoyed my job because I always enjoy my job doing best.
passionate and quick learner
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 5, 2014
Pros: benefit package
Meet deadline, passionate, team player, multitask, liked my job.
Terrible and Rigid work environment
Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: free alcohol
Cons: you will feel inferior
This places fosters no creativity or advancement if you arent a favored individual. I personally never had this issue, people liked me but...I saw how long it took for my team members to advance and more likely not advance and stay in the same positions with the same low salaries. This of course makes people who have been there forever in the same positions 1 unmotivated and 2 think they are somehow special by bossing newer people around. The best part of working at the IMF is that they always have free food and the alcohol runs rampant!!! I would say that if you don't have the "look" you probably arent going to go very far in this environment people take their rank very seriously.
Productive fun International workplace
Senior Management and more than (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: fun holiday parties
Typical work day was busy, fun, and interpersonal.
Learned different cultures. Promoted to different positions.
Great management team in all positions.
Loved my coworkers. We worked well together.
The hardest part of the job, was when I got laid off due to financial restraints. Leaving my friends.
The most enjoyable part was being productive, and having a friendly and helpful environment.
Nice working environment with nice team workers around
Spring Meetings Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2014
Pros: nice working environment; nice leaders.
Cons: no salary
I worked three day a week from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I worked in a branding team which mainly do branding pieces for spring meetings. I also assisted secretary department with meeting room assignment, as well as checking emails and contacting meeting groups. This work is a good chance for me to get involved in event and meeting management world to learn hands-on skills.
Productive and challenging workplace
Sustainability Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 18, 2014
Cons: annual employment contracts make it hard to plan your career growth
Staff are truly valued at the IMF, and the Fund provides plenty of opportunities for employees to grow their ideas.
Great experience, but not career progession
Unit Coordinator (Departmental Rotation) (Former Employee), Washington DC, USAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: professional culture
Cons: no career progression opportunities
As a staff assistant, the main role was coordinating a unit in a department. I was on rotation so had numerous assignments throughout the organisation. The majority of work was carrying out administrative support and delivering work packages to management.