International Monetary Fund Employee Reviews

Productive and nice place to work
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2015
Friendly environment
Support the environment
Appearance care is great
Safety and security
Fantastic benefits, extremly smart and motivated people, very little room for advancement
Information Technology Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2015
World class organization with best of bred tools and top notch dedicated people from around the world. Extremely busy pace, no day is the same. You will never be bored here. The benefits are not to be matched. Very risk adverse and slow moving, hierarchical culture, people rarely leave so there is very little room for growth and fierce competition when a position comes open.
Pros
World Renound Global Organization
Cons
Expectation that you are available to respond 24/7
Ideal working environment for any culture of people
Staff Assistant Special Office Support (SOS) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2016
Most ideal and diverse place to work. I have worked at the Fund for 6 years, and the time spent was very rewarding in my career as an administrative personnel.
Leaves a lot of room to be desired, as a contractor
Archives and Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
Wage was OK as a contractor, but I felt we were disrespected. There was absolutely no room for advancement, and only minimal professional development offered.
Not bad / but there was no benefit for contractors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2016
Diversity environment
Workers are friendly
Hardest part is no matter how hard you work, no benefit for you
No chance for growth
Pros
Cons
Not much opportunity for growth especially for contractors
Nce
SQL Server DBA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2016
Best place to work and I like the work culture. meeting people from different country. good to part of the team. they have cafe and restaurant in the building where you can what you need any time you need but it is little expensive for the food.
Great place to gain work experience as an international civil servant
Legal Extern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2016
A typical day involves doing plenty of research, drafting reports and attending meetings. The co-workers are amazing and great team players.
A great place to work
Senior Technical Assistance Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
This is a great place to work. The office environment is conducive to productivity. The salary and benefits are great. The learning opportunities through internal courses are fantastic. I actually like the cafe as well - great food.
Nice working environment with nice team workers around
Spring Meetings Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2014
I worked three day a week from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I worked in a branding team which mainly do branding pieces for spring meetings. I also assisted secretary department with meeting room assignment, as well as checking emails and contacting meeting groups. This work is a good chance for me to get involved in event and meeting management world to learn hands-on skills.
Pros
nice working environment; nice leaders.
Cons
no salary
Most prestigious organization
Translation Editorial Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
I loved working at the International Monetary Fund. Met many multinationals. Had a lot of fun. Mastered many software programs and gained a great experience.
Pros
Great holiday parties
Cons
short lunch breaks
Interesting and demanding work
IMF Deputy Managing Director Admin. Assist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2015
Working for the IMF in Washington for 7 years, it was the most interesting work in my life. I started in the support group for the whole office and at the end of the 4th year I was in the office of the Deputy Managing Director.
Most of the work was to look after the DMD´s agenda, daily Board Meetings, travel authorization.
Excellent benefitss and job security.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2013
The benefits are best and job security is good.

The work is extremely interesting and if you like to travel this is the place to be.
If you're permanent staff, then you're gold
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 11, 2015
If you're permanent staff, then you're gold. The IMF has many departments and contracts staff for nearly all of its technology positions. Depending on which contractor you're with, ultimately determines your fate here.

The IMF permanent staff are from all corners of the world so you'll be exposed to a lot of cultural differences. It's a cool place to work if you're in Research, Economics, or Law but if you're in the tech field I'd strongly suggest keeping your resume active.
Pros
Parties with free food, wine and spirits monthly, diverse work environment
Cons
Nearly impossible to become permanent staff in tech field
Terrible and Rigid work environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2014
This places fosters no creativity or advancement if you arent a favored individual. I personally never had this issue, people liked me but...I saw how long it took for my team members to advance and more likely not advance and stay in the same positions with the same low salaries. This of course makes people who have been there forever in the same positions 1 unmotivated and 2 think they are somehow special by bossing newer people around. The best part of working at the IMF is that they always have free food and the alcohol runs rampant!!! I would say that if you don't have the "look" you probably arent going to go very far in this environment people take their rank very seriously.
Pros
free alcohol
Cons
you will feel inferior
Great experience, but not career progession
Unit Coordinator (Departmental Rotation) (Former Employee) –  Washington DC, USAAugust 11, 2014
As a staff assistant, the main role was coordinating a unit in a department. I was on rotation so had numerous assignments throughout the organisation. The majority of work was carrying out administrative support and delivering work packages to management.
Pros
professional culture
Cons
no career progression opportunities
stable job with no advancement
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2015
The working environment is nice but people are superficial. Contractual has few opportunity to be promoted or converted. Political fight is very intensive. managers talk behind your back.
You will work with great people
IT/Corporate Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2015
Working at the International Monetary Fund is a challenge and privilege. You will work with many smart people from all over the world, but you will really have to work hard!
Only great for Macroeconomists
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
There is no career growth path for other job-streams in the organization unless you are VERY GOOD at playing the office politics game.
Productive fun International workplace
Senior Management and more than (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2014
Typical work day was busy, fun, and interpersonal.
Learned different cultures. Promoted to different positions.
Great management team in all positions.
Loved my coworkers. We worked well together.
The hardest part of the job, was when I got laid off due to financial restraints. Leaving my friends.
The most enjoyable part was being productive, and having a friendly and helpful environment.
Pros
fun holiday parties
Nice place to work!
Bilingual Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 29, 2015
At the IMF, I had enjoyed working with diverse cultures! The work was demanding but yet challenging and interesting!