International Monetary Fund Employee Reviews

You're screwed if you are not on an open ended contract
Senior Technical Assistance Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC5 January 2017
Pros
Amazing number of vacation days
Pension benefits (if you can stomach being there that long)
Cons
Horrible management
Very insular
"You're here to do what I say, not to think"
Boring and hard to advance if you do not have a PHD...You are not part of the mainstream if you are not a economist
Bureaucratic, inefficient, slow, very few opportunities for advancement, staff unmotivated.
Good Place to work
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (LINUX/SPLUNK) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC2 February 2017
IMF was a good experience for me, I've learned plenty, there is room for advancement. Although the job atmosphere could be a little bit better. Besides that i liked it a lot , people in my team loved to share knowledge on and off site.
Pros
knowledge sharing, collabs, great energy
Cons
lack professionalism at times, NO FREE PARKING
Great Policy work
Economist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC1 March 2017
A lot of policy work with different country authorities. Variation of assignments across fiscal, external, financial and real sectors.
Interesting discussions but over-censorship in reports.
Pros
Good Travel, Variation in Assignments
Cons
Difficult to advance, static culture
administrative assistant position
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC11 February 2017
This was an office job on temporary assignment. I was lucky in lasted for four years but it was a pain not knowing the future of your employment each day. Because I wasn't a permanent employed I was not valued or didn't feel like a part of the team. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the scanning project and filing that I did at this company
Good
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC2 February 2017
relaxing working culture and you can always learn new things in such a small company. You will become an expert in climate sector.
Productive workplace with diverse teams and workforce
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC3 September 2016
Working for the IMF is a great experience. You get to work on teams with people from all over the world, on issues that directly affect dozens of countries, and constantly interact with top talent. They emphasize work-life balance and and encourage time off.
productive atmosphere for interns
Externship program 2016 annual meetings (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC19 September 2016
- Coordinate with coworkers to fulfill assignments during preparation for the annual meeting 2016.
- Social media campaign focused on DMV area universities emphasis in social justice.
- Contact guests and prepare timeline of events during the meeting.
Fantastic benefits, extremly smart and motivated people, very little room for advancement
Information Technology Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC18 April 2015
World class organization with best of bred tools and top notch dedicated people from around the world. Extremely busy pace, no day is the same. You will never be bored here. The benefits are not to be matched. Very risk adverse and slow moving, hierarchical culture, people rarely leave so there is very little room for growth and fierce competition when a position comes open.
Pros
World Renound Global Organization
Cons
Expectation that you are available to respond 24/7
Leaves a lot of room to be desired, as a contractor
Archives and Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC14 July 2016
Wage was OK as a contractor, but I felt we were disrespected. There was absolutely no room for advancement, and only minimal professional development offered.
Nice working environment with nice team workers around
Spring Meetings Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC15 October 2014
I worked three day a week from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I worked in a branding team which mainly do branding pieces for spring meetings. I also assisted secretary department with meeting room assignment, as well as checking emails and contacting meeting groups. This work is a good chance for me to get involved in event and meeting management world to learn hands-on skills.
Pros
Nice working environment; Nice leaders.
Cons
no salary
It was very interesting job.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, ON27 July 2016
My experience at the International Monetary Fund was very great. My colleagues were very cooperative and interesting. Unfortunately, I could not extend my contract.
Pros
My colleagues were great and the obligations were challenging.
Cons
Contract expired
Productive and nice place to work
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC15 October 2015
Support the environment
Appearance care is great
Safety and security
A great place to work
Senior Technical Assistance Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC18 May 2015
This is a great place to work. The office environment is conducive to productivity. The salary and benefits are great. The learning opportunities through internal courses are fantastic. I actually like the cafe as well - great food.
Excellent benefitss and job security.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC18 September 2013
The benefits are best and job security is good.

The work is extremely interesting and if you like to travel this is the place to be.
Ideal working environment for any culture of people
Staff Assistant Special Office Support (SOS) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 April 2016
Most ideal and diverse place to work. I have worked at the Fund for 6 years, and the time spent was very rewarding in my career as an administrative personnel.
Nce
SQL Server DBA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC8 April 2016
Best place to work and I like the work culture. meeting people from different country. good to part of the team. they have cafe and restaurant in the building where you can what you need any time you need but it is little expensive for the food.
Not bad / but there was no benefit for contractors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC18 March 2016
Diversity environment
Workers are friendly
Hardest part is no matter how hard you work, no benefit for you
No chance for growth
Pros
Cons
Not much opportunity for growth especially for contractors
Great place to gain work experience as an international civil servant
Legal Extern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 March 2016
A typical day involves doing plenty of research, drafting reports and attending meetings. The co-workers are amazing and great team players.
Great experience, but not career progession
Unit Coordinator (Departmental Rotation) (Former Employee) –  Washington DC, USA11 August 2014
As a staff assistant, the main role was coordinating a unit in a department. I was on rotation so had numerous assignments throughout the organisation. The majority of work was carrying out administrative support and delivering work packages to management.
Pros
Professional culture
Cons
No career progression opportunities
Terrible and Rigid work environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 October 2014
This places fosters no creativity or advancement if you arent a favored individual. I personally never had this issue, people liked me but...I saw how long it took for my team members to advance and more likely not advance and stay in the same positions with the same low salaries. This of course makes people who have been there forever in the same positions 1 unmotivated and 2 think they are somehow special by bossing newer people around. The best part of working at the IMF is that they always have free food and the alcohol runs rampant!!! I would say that if you don't have the "look" you probably arent going to go very far in this environment people take their rank very seriously.
Pros
free alcohol
Cons
you will feel inferior

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Monetary Fund. Our community is ready to answer.

100%