Oxfam Employee Reviews

Great place if you are good at Sales
Campaigner (Former Employee) –  Dublin22 August 2017
I worked as a Campaigner for a short while, gathering signatures for a petition on the streets. It is very difficult because you are standing for 8 hours in the pouring rain, trying to make people stop, get out from under their umbrellas and sign the petition.
We also had targets (not only the number of signatures per hour, but we were supposed to get 80% phone numbers from them, so they can be later called and asked if they want to also donate money). We had team leaders coming to us hourly and saying we need to meet our targets, which was very stressful. Also, 2 meetings/week with the manager, for a performance review.
So, although I really believed in the cause and the petition, I didn't manage to meet my targets and convince a lot of people to stop. But if you are good at Sales, the place is great - the team is full of young, vibrant people and the team leaders are friendly and supportive.
Pros
young team, a lot of teambuilding, not working in an office, going to festivals
Cons
working in all weather conditions, working weekends during the summer, strict targets
Très bonne expérience humaine
Stage de vente, assistante manager (Former Employee) –  County Dublin7 August 2017
Stage humanitaire : très bon management et une très bonne expérience humaine avec un enrichissement aussi bien professionnel que personnel.

Aucune opportunité de développement au sein de l'entreprise ou sinon très compliqué.

Aspect difficile : travail très épuisant

Aspect agréable : une équipe très soudé et motivant
Pros
Très bonne expérience humaine
Cons
Aucun salaire
Disappointed
A/Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Ireland3 August 2017
An organisation that does not like to promote volunteers. The chances of moving to a paid job in Oxfam if you are a volunteer or a scheme worker are very small. Regardless of how many years of experience you have you have to go through an interview process and in most cases a person from outside is being selected instead of a dedicated volunteer.
Pros
Wonderful volunteers
Cons
Shop volunteers are not given enough recognition from the people at the top of the organisation
Rewarding
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 July 2017
Early morning start leading to a tiring day depending on hours. Pleasant staff. I learned communication and team work is important.
Managing the stock was hard when a lot came in at once.
I love this work
volunteer work (Former Employee) –  Bray, County Wicklow3 July 2017
Oxfam make me happy and useful. There I can 0ratice English and meet people, my manager is a lovely person. This work is voluntary. For me is the best because I can help people.
Pros
Practice English
You meet lots of friendly people who are helpul.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, County Offaly15 June 2017
I was a volunteer worker which i enjoyed.
You meet new friend's who are fun and caring. If you are stuck they are there to help.
You learn how to work tills which can be difficult.
Pros
People are friendly
Enjoyable.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 May 2017
Working in oxfam is very rewarding personally, but financially, it isnt( i was a volunteer) staff there are extremely friendly. Communication skills are a must, as most employees are non native english speakers, but these skills will improve. Overall, its a very good place to gain experience and i would recommend it.
Pros
Extremely friendly and relaxed enviroment
Cons
No pay (Majority of the time)
Nice People
Fundraiser Door to Door (Current Employee) –  Dublin12 April 2017
Oxfam is a place with nice people to work with, I learned a lot with people there. I also could improve my english very much in a short period of time.
The work is very hard though. Spend long hours on the streets talking to people that do not want to talk to you and receiving loads of negative answers is one of the hardest parts of the work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours on the street
Terrible place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin Bay, County Dublin10 April 2017
I was let go after one week due to not getting the donors. I feel i wasnt giving enough time and effort to get the skills I required. They never gave me the proper chance to blossom in the company.
Cons
A good place to work and make friends
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dublin4 March 2017
A typical day is compost to organize the shop, to attendance the customers, to move furniture, to make electrical tests and electric donations e activities of cashier.
Fun
Not a respected job
Negative impact on public
Well organised
Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
productive and fun place to work in
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois18 January 2017
i had worked in Oxfam, i had got alot of expeirence.
I have learned alot by working in Ofam,
My co-workers were nice and pleasent to work with i had got on fantastic with them.
workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath13 January 2017
working in Oxfam should me how to price things and work in a volunteer environment which is good. you also work in a team. it is a fun and enjoyable environment to be in.
great getting out on the road travelling
van helper (Former Employee) –  ireland4 January 2017
not much communication between warehouses and shops but great place to get work experience. most enjoyable part would be making a life long friend within the three years working there
Pros
getting experience
Cons
voluntary
Empresa organizada e pró-ativa
Assistente Administrativo (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Irlanda14 December 2016
A Oxfam é uma organização humanitária, que ajuda principalmente as crianças da África, possibilitando o acesso a água, alimentos, educação, etc. Então, minhas atividades eram diversas, variando entre: angariar fundos nas ruas, recolher doações como roupas, atuar como caixa e vendedor nas lojas da Oxfam,
Neste emprego, eu aprendi a me relacionar melhor com os mais diversos tipos de pessoas, pois na Oxfam, trabalha-se pessoas do mundo inteiro.
A gerência era bastante tranquila, me proporcionando autonomia. A parte mais fácil do trabalho era trabalhar na loja, e a mais difícil era angariar fundos.
Pros
Multiculturalidade
fun and easygoing workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cork5 December 2016
My time volunteering at Oxfam was great I learned a lot on how a charity organisation works and how to apart of a business and I would do it again
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Limerick21 November 2016
One day is never the same as the next as each day brings different customers from a variety of nationalities. I am gain enough experience to progress to a management role possibly within another organisation as no vacancy at present.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of customers also staff
Cons
non
Disillusioned
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin19 September 2016
I am currently employed by this charity as a store manager. Every day is a huge pressure, trying to sort donations with little help as volunteers are thin on the ground. So you will find yourself working alone quite often. The pressure from retail head office is relentless as you can never make enough money to keep them off your back. Then you get emails from various head office personnel, there seems to be endless "heads of departments" all of which are invisible to the store managers and none of us know what they do.
The retail part appears to be run by people who should have moved on 20 years ago and no longer know what they are doing, but are happy to take their over-inflated salaries.
Pros
Great store team
Cons
long hours (unpaid) incompetent and overly agrressive head office.
Fun Work Place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  George Street Dublin 24 August 2016
Good team spirit and very good collegues. I learnt to be cooperative and be kind to my work collegues as well the management was very good to the staff. The hardest part of the job was monitoring shop lifters and the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication we each had with each other in the work place.
Pros
Good team spirit
Fun work Place
Volunteer (Shop Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Limerick10 July 2016
Volunteer Retail assistant cashier, with responsibility for opening and closing the shop depending on hours given. I enjoy helping Oxfam through bringing in money to support causes such as the Syrian conflict and the Ebola crisis last year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3