River Island Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, but no scope for creativity or career advancement.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth1 August 2017
River Island is an easy place to work, however the pay is poor and does not increase the longer you are there, which discourages loyalty or a motive to stay there. Staff are also paid monthly which is a major inconvenience.
Staff asked to show contents of their bag on arrival and departure of each shift. Staff searches regularly carried out in which must empty bags, pockets, take off shoes, jacket etc.also can be asked to produce the receipt for any River Island item you are wearing and failure to do so will result in a staff investigation which as an employer I feel is very invasive.
Pros
discount
Cons
4 hour shifts, poor wage, bag and staff searches
My first step into retail
Admin Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork14 June 2017
I worked in the Store in cork part time in Admin, From there i gained the knowldedge of how the business in run. The team were great and it was a fun place to work,
Pros
team, introduction to retail
Cons
part time hours.
Friendly but hectic environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 June 2017
A typical day at work was a four hour shift, which can be an inconvenience. I'd rather work a full day. I learned so much in terms of handling customers, mulitasking etc. It was a friendly environment, but the place I was in wasquite clicky.
Pros
quick shifts
Cons
inconvenient hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick (Crescent)29 May 2017
Nice environment
Friendly People
Good Communication skills needed
Low hour contracts
Jobs include: putting back rejects, 'click and Collect', refilling stock rooms etc.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Really bad place to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin14 May 2017
Everyone that I worked with is leaving or is leaving even me over poor respect and low pay they need to start paying more and been nice I hate working in River Island
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor respect
Great place to work, would defiantly work here again
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  County Louth12 May 2017
Hours flew by, customers were generally friendly. the manager was amazing. Hardest art about this job was leaving after 2 years. The most enjoyable part of this job was dressing the mannequins
Verry boring work, verry little to be doing
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath11 May 2017
Didnt ever have much to do was always a "look busy" act day in and day out. Verry bad pay if you are under 18. Never give any extra hours to someone eager to make extra money.
Pros
Store discount.
Cons
Not enough hours.
bad place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin3 May 2017
good place to work good to work. always nice staff. always. lovely plavce. good money good staff. great staff. the best staff. easily the best staff. oohp
I loved working here.
Retail/Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare11 April 2017
Fantastic company to work fo my time here for christmas and I really liked it unfortunatly it was just for christmas of 2015 and I hope to one day work for river island again.
Little progress, high staff turn over, poor salary, very little training and development
Men's ladies and product manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin4 April 2017
Difficult to progress, mostly linear progression. Negative hierarchy, massive staff turnover and poor salary . Weak policies, training and very little work life balance.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long hours very little recognition
Fun workplace
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterford city, County Waterford30 March 2017
River island is a very fun, young and energetic workplace. Great atmosphere and friendly environment.
Management salary is poor for work expected.
Good job satisfaction.
Pros
Uniform and staff discount
Cons
Poor salary for the work involved
Easy going
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth17 February 2017
Very little opportunity for job advancement. You will learn a great amount of customer service but this is the only upside to this job. Very little IMPORTANT tasks to be done.
Pros
Good customers, Flexibility in hours
Cons
Bad customers
Gave me an insight into the fashion industry
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick16 February 2017
This was my first experience with working in the retail industry. I started to develop my love of fashion wich enabed me to easily communicate with customers. We were advised to offer excellent customer service and received a lot of training in this aspect.
Pros
Gave me great cusomer service experience
Horrible.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin24 September 2016
Poor training, never received full training a constantly being given out to by a particular manager on stuff I was not trained on.
Certain manager was rude, didn't take time to learn my name, would refuse to help and pick on me for anything he could find.
Extremely poor management.
Pros
Handy shifts
Cons
Everything Else
River Island fue una experiencia nuy buena cuando estudié en Dublin.
Dependienta (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 September 2016
Al principio me costó mucho por no hablas el idioma bien,pero me ayudaron en todo y no tengo nada ni regular que decir de esta tienda.
Pros
Ninguno.
Cons
Ninguno.
Typical work day
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dublin3 August 2016
It was very easy to get work done in RiverIsland, I really enjoyed my time there.

I was not very fond of the monthly pay but I couldn't complain about it, a job is a job and i was happy I had it

A typical day working there would be quite calm and relaxed, giving you finished what need to be done, Most customers were very lovely and friendly towards the staff, although there would be the odd few that were not so nice,
Pros
Discounts and good work hours
Cons
Monthly pay and rude customers
product ant fani vork
Picker (Former Employee) –  milton keines england31 May 2016
work begins in the early morning 6am cheerful people working 5 days, 8 hours a day for warehouse integrated sound system. friendly company
Enjoyable at times
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford City Centre, County Waterford26 May 2016
working on the women's floor was fine as there was always plenty to be doing. The men's floor however, especially on weekdays was inanely boring as there are few customers and you're the only staff member on the floor.
Pros
Discount and uniform allowance
Cons
short shifts, difficulty securing time off
Fun, great people to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cork25 April 2016
Great bunch of people to work with always. Work load is manageable and there's always something new everyday. Benefits are good and the hours aren't bad.
Pros
employee discount is fab
Cons
n/a
Fantastic place to work!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kilkenny, Ireland11 April 2016
A standard day is full of different scenarios with customers may it be at the till, on the floor, over the phone or an issue with an online order. The team itself is very connected and we all help one another to ensure that the shop floor stays safe from shoplifters and that every customer is seen to promptly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval