Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

Avoid
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arndale Shopping Centre, Greater Manchester21 January 2018
I have worked for smiggle for a year and it's gone from being an great company to work for to one of the worst, you just get left to do things on your own and then when bosses do visit your made to feel like your best isn't good enough , you go home feeling so deflated ! The company promotes praise and improvement to which this must not apply to your area manager to give when on vists! Just negativity all the way!

They want to do jump to there every need but you get nothing in return.

The manager is a joke who just brown noses area manager
Pros
Cons
Lone tading, no praise just made to feel bad
Fair place to work
Smiggle (Former Employee) –  Warrington16 January 2018
Working at Smiggle wasn't the place for me, I rarely enjoyed my job which is why I was quite glad on just being Christmas staff as then I could go out and find a job that I preffered and that I enjoyed. From the job, I learnt that working around people you aren't familiar with is a tricky task but does boost your confidence up. The most hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were impolite, ignoring, arrogant, etc. Yet the most enjoyable aprt of the job was speaking to the polite customers and having a laugh with the team.
Pros
Welcoming customers an helping out
Cons
Ignorant, arrogant, impolite customers
Amazing Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
I only worked here for 2 months but within that time I found the company amazing. There are fun, reliable staff, great benefits and amazing support...
Unprofessional, senior management in HQ are awful and work u to the ground
Management (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 January 2018
Unprofessional, money mad, don’t care about their staff, the management in HQ is awful and do not appreciate ur work. Bad attitude from the regional managers...The deliveries are ridiculous!!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Silly amount of deliveries, no support, company does not care about its staff
fun place
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orchard29 December 2017
As a sales associate, the job requires me to greet the customers ones they enter the shop, also to serve them at their needs, always be available for the customer. We are also required to upsell the items and share with customer the promotions.
Not a nice company
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Lasted nearly a year and it has been a terrible experience.
No bonus, low pay, no benifits, no appreciation and you are treated like a money making machine.
dont work here
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 December 2017
Manager is a bully/abusive to staff causing many people to leave, rude customers,never enough stock to replan,product is always falling over and is disogranised.
Pros
hometime
Cons
everything
Head Office don't care - you are just a number
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames8 November 2017
Your manager and team care about you and the work you do, but Head Office and the powers that be couldn't care less whether you stay or go! 'oh well, bye bye, everyone is replaceable' is their default mode. Sadly this attitude casts the darkest shadow over every single shop
Pros
50% off 15 products per month
Cons
Unappreciated
Love working for smiggle fans are so lovely
Manager (Current Employee) –  Smiggle uk18 October 2017
It’s very hard work but also very rewarding, area Manager has been supportive and really helped me pick up the culture. Took a while to learn everything but once you have worked 6 months everything falls into place and comes naturally.
They expect a lot but what company doesn’t! It can be difficult to get a work and home life ballance but I can say I really like working at my store, products amazing and customers really lovely, had a fantastic depty Manager she got promoted to manage her own store, and I have a fantastic team, they pay temp staff well.
Pros
Really good at promoting from within, good discount
Cons
Lots of lone working and unsociable hrs
You're better off applying somewhere else
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2017
Having worked there for a considerable amount of time I think I can definitely say working for Smiggle just really isn't worth it. For the amount of stress you have to endure there, there really aren't many benefits - no pay rise, no appreciation from your managers or even the company as a whole. Head office staff are rude and to be quite honest get in the way more than they help (sometimes leaving the store in more of a mess than it was in the first place!). Hours are inconsistent and shifts can literally change overnight sometimes. Honestly, if you're looking for a consistent job with a decent wage then Smiggle isn't for you. You're better off finding a job elsewhere.
Pros
The team at my store were amazing and I truly miss them
Cons
A very stressful and negative environment to work in
Excellent workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basildon1 October 2017
I haven't worked at smiggle for very long but is most definitely one of the best experiences of my life, the smiggle team are very friendly and easy to get along with, the customers have always been very friendly aswell.
Pros
great pay
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2017
This is a fun place to work, as long as you like kids and can keep your smile all day long.
Great company for opportunities, with a friendly and welcoming staff.
Worst company ever!!!!!!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NA6 September 2017
I worked in smiggle for over a year, no proper support from anyone, store manager was constantly looking down on her staff, HO were more bothered about opening new stores rather than focusing on issues in current stores. I would stay well clear off this business as there is no support, no appreciation for working extra hours, no sick pay, no bonuses, lone trading etc i could go on!!!! Just stay away and you will be happy!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No support, lone trading, no appreciation
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 September 2017
The company itself represents the happiness and cheerfulness that is given to children by the parents with the Smiggle stationery; unfortunately, the management of the organisation asks for 150% with a reward being a slap on the back and then a try harder. The company gives opportunities to be promoted but due to a bottle neck in management, it's easy to be stuck in a store managerial position for many years with little to no gratitude or reward.
Pros
Seeing Happy Families; Customer Service Experience.
Cons
Management; Workplace Culture; Lack of Reward/Incentive
Good job to have a student
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 August 2017
Good and sociable job to have. No shift is ever the same and get to meet loads of new people who come into the shop. Hours are fairly flexible and work around studying/ exam times quite well.
Pros
good for students, half price discount on items
Young company in the UK so some kinks to iron out, Loved this store and the team!
Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grays12 August 2017
A typical day for me was checking comms, setting up the day, accepting and processing delivery (or delegating it to someone), analysing figures and then actioning floor moves accordingly, updating visuals, training the team and of course, introducing the Smiggle product to the wide-eyed kids!

As a company, I really enjoyed the mix of structure and the amount of discretion that we had as managers. If you followed the instructions and delivered good "quality" sales (so strong KPIs even if footfall/turnover wasn't great), you would get recognised and appreciated.

In the store, I was lucky to have an experienced, "no-nonsense" manager and a wonderfully positive team. I helped open this store with my manager, who worked very hard to ensure we all achieved and exceeded our targets consistently. Probably the best boss I have had so far.

We had an AMAZING Area Manager. He had more of a mentor/coach management style as opposed to dictatorial which I have experienced in the past. I definitely learned a lot from him in terms of operations and people management as well as how to make smarter business decisions in order to improve profits.

I think the hardest part of the job was that the company was/is expanding too fast and wasn't focusing enough on the issues already at hand. So at my store level, that sometimes meant that we were stretched in terms of hours/support available. Eventually, it became exhausting for myself (personally) but I'll always have a soft spot for Smiggle!
Pros
Amazing learning experience, room for progression, popular company with its target market.
Cons
Insufficient level of support/resources from HQ, did not match the level of company expansion, and that would filter down to store level.
Nice place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
Smiggle offers a great stepping stone on the ladder to success. The flexible and fast paced working enviroment creates a different place to work every day.
Don't recomend
PIC (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire22 May 2017
On a daily basis it was mad. So much to do with no staff. Lone trading is the priority for the company. I felt like I had been taken advantage of on more than one occasion. I sacrificed time with my family to work extra hours​ to help out. No thanks was given.
Management are NOT organised and never reply. You have to think on your feet then get told off for doing so.
No toilet in the store so always took 10mins out of your day just to have a wee.
Time sheets were being changed e.g Worked 8 hours but only put down for 6 etc.

The only​ thing I really loved was seeing the loyal customers coming back in and forming relationships with them. I have missed them.

Unless you don't​ have a family and don't​ care about how you are treated then this is the job for you.
Pros
Staff discount.
Wouldnt Work Here Again
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester12 May 2017
Worked as a Christmas temp, the managers of the store expect you to do everything for them, once I got blamed for wrong prices even though I didn't put the tags up and it was, in fact, one of the managers that had done this. The managers never want you to be stood doing nothing or even talking for extra time than normal with a customer, regardless of them doing this or not. They would have someone they know come in and talk to them for a length of time. They would have drinks on the shop floor but I was not allowed too. The hours were demanding, I came in for a 9-2 but ended staying till close with only a half hour break for lunch. One manager is really snidey and hypocritical, puts on a smile and tries to be nice but then insults the way i work. Would definitely not work here again, couldn't think of anything worse!!!
Pros
i recieved extra pay because i was a temp and didnt take an annual leave
Cons
dont get paid overtime and sometimes over time is a good hour/hour and a half
Disgusting company to work for and horrid management
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  North East9 May 2017
Worst company I have ever worked, too many rules and procedures n nothing is ever good enough no appreciation at all! Affects home life on finishing late so if your looking for a 9-5.30 job u have no chance! Management are absolute bullies nothing is ever good enough and your rushed off your feet never get a full break and cannot leave store on breaks as no set time for deliveres turning up you get told off for leaving store. Lone trading everyday only get a 4 hour person in to cover over dinner and delivery etc. Too much pressure on targets and selling feel like your hounding customers. Promotion change every 2 weeks and it's a big one on every part of the store takes over 3-4 days to complete. The list is never ending!! Never feel valued as an employee and if you like being someone's scivvy then go for it. Honestly can say throughout my whole career this is the most distrusting company to work for.
Pros
Cons
Long hours and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9