Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

I didn't like smyths
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin16 March 2017
I found smyths not a great place to work, the staff where very unfriendly when I started. The hours where okay I couldn't complain I had a job. over all I'm glad for the experience
productive and fun environment
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin23 February 2017
A typical day in Smyths for me would have been clocking into work and going to my till to greet and serve customers. Throughout the day I would often leave the till to help a customer find what they were looking for. At the end of the day when the shop would close, my co-workers and I would clean up our respected areas and assisted those in other areas. We would also help to repack the shelves until out shift was over.
Fun and lovely place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath17 January 2017
Lovely place to work at, it can be extremely busy especially Christmas time. I enjoyed working there with kids running all over. Management and staff very friendly
Sale assistance
Sales assistance (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, County Cork20 December 2016
When I arrived to work in this company I met a very nice team work which made me enjoying work environment, and I've built up very strong relationship with work colegues
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Yes i do long hours
Engaging workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 December 2016
On a daily basis I worked on tills, interacted with customers, maintained a clean and tidy store, restocked shelves.
I learned great communication skills and organisation skills.
Pros
Great experience working in retail.
Cons
Only seasonal work.
Former Customer Service Ennis Road Limerick
Former customer service (Former Employee) –  Llimerick Ennis Road19 December 2016
Most horrible place I ever worked. Was bullied by all three managers. Hours cut for booking time off in advance for a day trip. Was punished for it and given that day off for for months straight out of spite. Cut to a one day week for no reason. A manager physically put his hands on me poking me to hurry up with serving customers. Was called names by managment. Disgraceful company who don't care about their employees.
Pros
Cons
Poor wages, bad hours, bullying management
Company just looking to pay as you as low as possible
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin27 October 2016
Stay away from this company because they are looking just for numbers. Good place to start if you dont have perfect language and motivaton,
Busy and productive workplace.
Sales Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Claremorris, County Mayo14 July 2016
When I arrived to work in the mornings I would start by, stacking shelves, printing and putting correct price stickers on items and tidying the shelves. As it was my first experience in a workplace I was learning a lot everyday. I learned how to use the equipment I needed, safety regulations, learning where everything is but mostly I improved my ability to help customers. All my co-workers were very friendly and eager to give me any help or advice I required. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was assisting customers.
Not nice workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dublin12 March 2016
no hours,no bonuses,no paid raise as long as five years, no HR, one person to run two departaments,no people to cover breaks,no people to cover tills,bullying by management, hours cuts during a week, changing of shift rosters, pressure,
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant in the software department. (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin11 November 2015
A normal work day consisted of in house stock if you were in early, this would consist of checking inventory behind the counter and in the warehouse.
Customer care was also a big part of the day, we would get on average during the Christmas period up to 30-40 people a day. From this I learned to be patient and take the time to help people with their needs.
All manager's in Smyths worked on the floor, mainly in customer service and were extremely polite and helped all customers and employees.
Naturally all employees were very nice and polite due to all of us working face to face with the consumer.
The hardest part of the day was inventory, checking everything that had to do with the section you worked in, this process could take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on the day and if any deliveries were in transit.
The most enjoyable part is definitely the people I worked with, they were polite and mostly funny so it definitely made a difference during the day.
Pros
Extra pay for working Sunday's
Cons
Long hours.

Want to know more about Smyths Toys?

Ask a question
One of the best minimum wage jobs
Sales Assistant Software Zone (Former Employee) –  Galway9 October 2015
I was employed here straight out of school and during college. Never had problem with management, like most jobs if you kept your head down and did what you were being paid for there was no problem. You never had to go above and beyond the call of duty- the day started and finished when you clocked in/out.
Co workers were overall great, but there is no room whatsoever to advance beyond general till monkey.
Every day is different and you're never bored.
The hours were fantastic if you were looking purely to earn money. Despite being minimum wage you were sure of getting 8+ hours 5+ days a week. You got a discount in the store too. The downside is no guarantee of 2 days in a row off and you can't plan ahead in your own time because you just won't know when your days off are.
Probably the best minimum wage job out there!
fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Clondalkin, D4 January 2015
In work i operate the till, working on the customer service desk, stock taking, merchandising duties
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cork, C9 March 2014
weekends verry busy
smyths system was very good
organizations in work place was poor
Pros
Cons
only one break
Good Workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, Louth7 October 2013
I have only ever worked for Smyths during the christmas period, the busiest time of the year for them. A typical day for me within smyths would consist of going in, preparing my aisle to be packed, breaking down the delivery for my aisle and then packing it 100%.
It is a great job for meeting people.
The hardest part of the job would be the really long hours, some days would consist of 14/15 hour shifts.
Pros
Staff Discount of 10%
Cons
Long Hours
workplace
Manager of Software zone (Former Employee) –  tralee11 September 2013
did not enjoy working at all as they are very very pushy and they dont do what the customer wants
Cons
did not work well with other people in this job
Great Managment but very seasonal work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny9 March 2013
I enjoyed my time wit Smyths but the hours change weekly. All of the staff worked hard and the management were very approachable and constructive with criticism.