Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews

Poor management and pay
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naas, County Kildare16 August 2017
While at supervalu I realised that the management was very poor along with the pay. They hired young staff and used loop holes in the law to make sure your payed less then minimum wage for at least 2 years!
Pros
Young enviorment
Cons
Terrible pay
Friendly
Cash office / cashier (Current Employee) –  Dublin16 August 2017
I could never say anything bad about working here as its a fun place to work. Every day you meet new people and sometimes you could be the only thing that makes them smile that day. The management are brilliant and love to see you get on well with the customers. The people that you work with turn into your second family. The hardest part of this job is to leave but unfortunately things have to change.
Pros
Staff cards
Enjoyable and productive
Floor staff, butcher, till staff, delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Kildare15 August 2017
Typical work day involves dealing with customer inquiries, stacking shelves, co-operating with other employees to complete work and reporting to management after a task has been completed.
Productive and organised workplace.
Floor Worker (Former Employee) –  Carrickmacross, County Monaghan4 August 2017
Hard work is involved but fair and friendly managers. It's a very organised workplace where hard work and vigilance is required. Working in SuperValu allowed me to gain several necessary skills such as cooperation, multitasking, persistence and social skills.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin4 August 2017
Productive workplace but on the other hand you can find yourself being left idle unless you have an assigned aile which is quite annoying and your day can become tedious
Fun and challenging place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cahir, County Tipperary28 July 2017
The staff members were all very nice and they all knew how to behave with customers. I felt very welcome when I first started working. Customers also felt welcome and every time they needed help they never hesitated to ask.
Pros
Amazing staff members
Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuam, County Galway20 July 2017
Difficult place to work due to working conditions.
Do not learn much, have to figure things out yourself.
management has been poor in the past year.
Cons
Long hours, no social life, very bad wages
productive
Server (Former Employee) –  Kingscourt, County Cavan19 July 2017
i got to have the experience of working in supervalu as part of my work experience,working days are hard, but easy to get by as well, staff is friendly and easy to get along with
productive work ethic
General Operative (Current Employee) –  Dublin13 July 2017
great job if are looking for experience. I learned to better my communication skills with customers and management. the typical day on the tills is serving customers, cash handling, making sure the my work station is tidy and dealing with any customer complaints.
Difficult place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 June 2017
Not happy to work there at all. Family renting the business name. As family business they haven't been dealing justly with their staff at all.. Bad experience with bullying, a lot of stress at the end health issues
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin26 June 2017
A typical work day in Supervalu consists of, typical six to nine hour shifts, stock rotation and customer service. From working here for the past year I have learned many things while improving in others. in my time at Supevalu I learned how to properly face-off and how to organise deliveries, however I also in my skills with helping customers were possible with their queries.The management in this shop is very friendly and also effective as the managers mood decides how hard the staff work, the managers in Supervalu are very hard-working and will have a positive effect on any former employee as they would help them in gaining experience. The hardest part of working in Supervalu would be getting all the work given in a certain time as often you could be working till closing by yourself. The most enjoyable part about working here is that everybody that you work with is so helpful and friendly that you would see it like a second family.
Pros
Free Lunch ( if in canteen )
Cons
Long Hours
Relaxed
Baker/Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Blackrock, County Dublin15 June 2017
Good instore bakery, specialising in everyday fare, including celebration cakes, doughnuts ,brown soda etc, largely a positive working environment,with a good overall athmosphere
Pros
positive athmosphere
Cons
different pay scales for similar jobs
Poor place to work
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuam, County Galway12 June 2017
I wouldn't recommend working with this company. They pay young staff below the minimum wage and management for the most part were very strict and annoying.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin8 June 2017
A typical day would include dealing with unforeseen customer problems and inquiries. Liaising with managers and operating as part of a large floor team. Depending on the department, work could include the cleaning of floors, utensils, shelves as well as the replenishing, rotating and organising of stock. Cashiers deal with large amounts of money throughout the day. At the end of each day, across all departments, preparation is made for the next shift.
Review
Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ranelagh, County Dublin7 June 2017
For the most part, I enjoyed working at SuperValu. Friendly staff who I worked well with. Management were fair to staff. Great environment to work in, in both the shop and the area, Ranelagh.
Pros
Great environment to work in and advancement.
Cons
Under staffed.
Great place to work - if you're hired and paid properly
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Cork1 June 2017
I actually loved working here. The office was, in spite of being frequently busy, a fun place to work. No weekends, no overtime, just Monday to Friday, 9-5:30. Everyone was lovely to be around, and enjoyed what they were doing.

The problem I had was that the position I applied for was advertised as a full-time, permanent position. I was called in to do a few days of a test run to see if I'd hit the ground running or not, which I did. After nearly 2 weeks, I was told that the advertised position wasn't available "due to SuperValu changing their mind", but was kept on as a freelance designer, thinking I at least had my foot in the door for a future position if one opened up. Which it did.

The thing is, I wasn't told that once that person was gone, so was I. I finished up the same day as that person, back in September last year, and haven't been asked back since. No reference, no explanation. Had to fight tooth and nail to get my last month's pay, which sadly happened every month to anyone working freelance there, and have heard nothing from them since then.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
If you're freelance, don't expect secure pay, hours or a friendly goodbye
helpful environment
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roscommon26 May 2017
I found the staff very friendly and easy to work with. they were on hand to help me with problems or questions I had about the work carried out. I enjoyed being on the till helping customers with their shopping. I found the shelf stacking quite easy to learn. I acquired great skills here working in this job.
Productive and customer based environment
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sallins, County Kildare24 May 2017
I enjoyed doing work experience in this shop. I was working for around six hours. I was stacking the shelves, keeping the shop clean and doing what I was asked to do. I learned how to work with customers and work with work colleagues better. I enjoyed working with customers, tidying the products on the shelves and when they let me do the price checks and order products. The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy boxes.
Productive and fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Deansgrange, County Dublin21 May 2017
I thought that SuperValu was good for work experience because it helped me see what I would actually be doing if I were to get another job like this and it helped me out a lot with the communication with everyone in the workplace.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Busy and challenging, but enjoyable
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manorhamilton, County Leitrim10 May 2017
The location in which I worked was very busy, and so, the day for me was very busy also. However, I enjoyed being busy and the hustle and bustle. It gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of new people and build up a lot of new skills.