Universal Music Group Employee Reviews

One place I really do miss working.
Product Manager/A&R (Former Employee) –  Universal City, CA4 January 2018
Universal comes with all the bells and whistles. I've learned so much business wise there with entertainment. Fortunate to work with so many great and legendary artists. Work hard anywhere and you'll make it on top.
LOVE working for a company & in an industry that I’m ACTUALLY passionate about
Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Remote19 December 2017
It's SO refreshing to work for a company and in an industry that I’m ACTUALLY passionate about!

UMG is a global music leader that's committed to building the best possible workforce.

The environment is very modern, and the culture is positive.

Also, I just love our commitment to social responsibility and the support we receive for participating in good works!
Pros
Global leader, Competitive benefits, Employee development, Culture and environment, Social responsibility
Overall, a nice place to work.
Copyright Royalties Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CA13 December 2017
Processing product titles for copyright clearance and payment. I learned to use Outlook, Word and Excel. Worked closely with management to solve any issues.
No Movement
Sr Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN4 December 2017
Everyone had been there 30 plus years so there was no upward movement for anyone. then they closed the office. The office was close knit and worked like a fine tuned machine because everyone new what they were doing,
Pros
benafits
best internship ever
Intern (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CA19 October 2017
the manager teaches you hands on material using good explanations and responsive to all the questions asked. People in the office are nice and friendly and willing to help you if you ask.
Pros
good work ethic
Cons
fast paced
Best place i've ever worked.
Freelance Graphic Designer/Illustrator (Former Employee) –  1755 Broadway # 2, New York, NY 1001917 October 2017
i would have to say, working here is a once in a lifetime experience. I've learn so much and still talk to former coworkers to this day. Always a joy to go into work.
Good place.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA11 October 2017
You can make a career for yourself here. There are a lot of talented people and artists and a lot of good music. Going to Santa Monica is tough from most places in LA.
Counterproductive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA11 September 2017
Great company to work for in the industry, but there wasn't much room for advancement. I worked for an arrogant label head that was very rude and harsh. I learned a lot during my time there but I wouldn't return.
Universal Perks, family envolvement even during work hours
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FL21 August 2017
Great place to work being able to talk to people from the states to china. Being taught the basics in accounting and payroll by awesome accountants and managers.
Pros
Faily Activities, free par admissions
I'd look elsewhere
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX21 August 2017
Staff is plenty nice, but their systems and philosophy are a little dated. It makes it hard to compete with more modern/newer companies. They are going through a rebrand so hopefully it works

Want to know more about Universal Music Group?

Ask a question
Great One Time Job
Extra (Former Employee) –  London1 August 2017
Working as an extra with this company was great fun, with hair and wardrobe fully supplied for, and meals mostly catered for. Overall friendly vibe and gave me the opportunity to branch out and make some links with some big names.
Intense /extreme
Studio Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA31 July 2017
A great company to work for Vs single persons job a fast pacing high powered Tyrant company no tolerance for slackers you here to work or not respectable by the company model although this company is a fast-moving company which is positions hold you responsible for that of your tasks and everything around you is a company which I would love to stay in tune with I feel it's a young man's job for this industry you learn so much which the world can't teach you nor show you but as they say in the industry time waits on no one
Pros
Not knowing what the next day going to bring but as always something great/new
Cons
No lunch break
IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 July 2017
I was working on a 3 months contract therefore was there to support my colleague in dealing with procurement requests. When it was busy, I enjoyed the pace as it was productive.
I only rated 1 star for the 'job security/advancement as it is not relevant to my situation given the fact that I was not on a permanent contract.
Messaging Analyst (Former Employee) –  Universal City, CA28 July 2017
Music blaring everywhere. Every now and then would see artists. Great benefits package. Management is attentive to employee needs. Free CDs (when they were around).
Pros
free cds
Awesome Place to Work!
PUBLICITY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN18 July 2017
Loved my co-workers and my manager. I gained great experience while making connections. I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone looking to gain knowledge about the music industry.
Love this place
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CA10 July 2017
I love my boss , my work and this place. They look after their employees and co-workers get along really very. I would love to work for them again if opportunity arises.
Pros
working envrionment
Productive and fun place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasig City28 June 2017
Whether it’s how to write a concise email, answer a telephone, or shake a hand there is a professional way to do everything. Working in an office environment, you’ll have the chance to observe how others operate and take on those attributes that you feel work best, whether it’s communication, behavior, or office etiquette. This way you won’t end up making mistakes or asking a lot of questions in your first full-fledged job.
Meh
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA19 June 2017
My first several years at UMG were amazing - benefits, great moral, great management, etc. However as they begin laying off and restructuring, they lost many great people, moral, and passion. It was truly sad to watch what was once an amazing company turn into such a dreadful environment so quickly.
Pros
Decent Pay, Benefits
Cons
Low moral, poor management, high turnover
Fun, fast-paced company
Personal Receptionist to President, Jimmy Iovine (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA2 June 2017
I only worked here through a temp agency, so the benefits and pay weren't that great. I loved how something new could happen everyday, it was never boring. The hardest part of the job was when more responsibilities were given to you without compensation.
Pros
Seeing high profile clients
Cons
pay and benefits didn't equal the work performed
Productive and fun workplace
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kensington, Greater London1 June 2017
I enjoyed my work experience placement at the marketing department of Universal Music Group because it gave me a chance to step out of my comfort zone
Pros
Free lunch, working with other departments, brilliant co-workers
Cons
Travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Music Group. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2