Alcon

Alcon Employee Reviews

Ireland12 reviews
Just fine.
Company that struggles with the market image, which transponds to some of the work-related issues as for instance lack of confidence within core management. Work itself and the co-workers are fine and friendly and make the Company in overall acceptable to work for.
A typical day at work
I worked in the packaging department for a few months the staff and supervisor are ignorant unless u are full time very unhelpful to new staff Avoid at all costs.
Avoid
managment - never seen worst
money - no words.

stresfull enviroment.

they dont care about people - you will be only another statistic number for them to make targets.

no comunications between depatrments.

no matter how good you are - without ladder( long enough to reach supervisor's hole ) they will let you go whenever they squeez everything that they can from you.

avoid.
Awful experience
Worked here through an agency and was treated as a second class worker. Agency staff were not given the same benefits as permanent staff despite doing the same work. Management were absolutely awful and not approachable. Culture of blame and one upmanship very prominent. Only benefit to working here is it's beneficial for your CV if you want to pursue other employment in this field.
Ok Place to work
I worked night shift, all I can say is ok. Started out with a terrible manager, he would pick on and sack the temp employ's on a whim, he was just a nasty person. I don't believe he represented the other management in Alcon. Then there was a sea change in the company, the manager was removed from the company and replaced with a gentleman of a manager, every one was happier, more productive, quality issues dissapered as no one had to look over there sholder and could focus on the job. It became a very nice place to work, I only left as I could no longer work nights but at the first opertunity would return on the dayshift.
Pros
nice people to work with, always looking out for each other
Cons
the former manager/ working nights
Worst place i ever worked
Worked there for a number of years . Was ok at first but quickly went down hill. As part of the engineering team (ha team) i was left with no support and told then that i missed start up dates . Management kept looking for unrealistic deadlines and when not meet it affected wages and bonuses. Left after a few years vowed never to return.
Pros
Cons
Long hrs. Expected overtime . No support
product builder agency worker
THE WORST places I have ever worked!! I had the misfortune of working in Alcon through an agency as a product builder for a few months. We were always pushed harder than the full time employees. We were expected,not asked, to do overtime. From the moment you got in they were on your back about your speed and targets, they would work you to the bone, and even then they still weren't happy! The daily and hourly targets were ridiculously high, and the work environment was horrible. The work was incredibly monotonous, but worst of all was the one senior staff member. We weren't allowed talk to each other even as we worked. I remember thinking, I would have had a better life with my ex.

An incident at Christmas summed Alcon up for me. It was the final straw. I booked and took Christmas holidays a day and a half later on a Sunday afternoon I was phoned and told I was let go so I asked why and was told they didn't have to give me and explanation I was always in to work in plenty of time and worked hard to make targets. I was treated shoddily This company are taking total advantage of peoples desperation for employment, and therefore think they can treat people whatever way they deem fit. I like to believe that we live in an Ireland where everyone is treated equally, where all citizens have rights. After my time in Alcon, I'm not so sure.... AVOID!!
Productive and fun place
Enthusiastic, level headed with experience and exposure as a Warehouse Operative in a GMP environment . Detail orientated and adaptable who enjoys working within a team or on own initiative and developing a solid rapport with groups and individuals from all levels and backgrounds, showing excellent communication and leadership skills. Impeccable work ethic with a great attitude and determination, continually adhering to all health and safety procedures, maintaining quality in the workplace at all times.
Pros
good experience in gmp environment
Cons
free labour
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Alcon?
A variety of tasks
I had a number of daily tasks throughout my day at work. These included bacterioanalysis and chemical analysis of water, depyrogenation, work shadowing, hard goods, documentation and bottle prep.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
7am start
do not work there
Do not work there I did for 11 months best think is I'm not working there no more 80% of the full timers are so nasty to contractors and your are 3rd class to them
Pros
I'm not there
Cons
I was there
Agency Production Operative
One of THE WORST places I have ever worked!! I had the misfortune of working in Alcon through an agency as a product builder for a few months. From the moment we started we were treated like second class citizens because we were agency workers!! We were always pushed harder than the full time emplOyees. We were expected,not asked, to do overtime. From the moment you got in, they would work you to the bone, and even then they still weren't happy! The daily and hourly targets were ridiculously high, and the work environment was horrible. Small,claustrophobic clean rooms. The work was incredibly monotonous, but worst of all were the senior staff. I was given out to by a supervisor for being at the clocking in machine 3 minutes before time. We weren't allowed talk to each other even as we worked. I remember thinking, I would have had a better life in prison.

An incident at Christmas summed Alcon up for me. It was the final straw. All employees were invited to a posh hotel for a really nice Christmas dinner, except for agency emplyees. We were told to take a days holidays at our own expense. Even though we were in there, doing the same work as the other,following the same rules as procedures. Not very fair. I have seen how they treat their full time employees and I was foolish to think they would treat agency employees better! This company are taking total advantage of peoples desperation for employment, and therefore think they can treat people whatever way they deem fit. I like to believe that we live in an Ireland where everyone is treated equally, where all citizens have rights.
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Too many to list.
see alcon review
A typical day at work as a Production Operator was performing checks on finished product (IOL) and packaging of the product.
I learned a lot about GMP and SOP compliance.

I used to work in a friendly and helpful team.

The hardest part of the job was that work at some work stations was too repetitive.

We were allowed to listen to the music when working, which made the day go faster.