An Garda Síochána

An Garda Síochána Employee Reviews

Great Job Great team always got the job done well. I started as a Garda and got the training that I needed to join the various units that I applied to join so I really enjoyed my career even though it was continuously challenging
Pros
Team spirit and good work ethos
Cons
Getting work life balance right was hard for me anyway
Poorly managed. Erosion of working conditions annually. Statistical manipulation is engrained in the organisation. Some great people work there but they are stymied by nepatism and chronyism
Pros
External supports (credit union and medical)
Cons
Terrible hours, poor management
The office worked well together duties are separated however on request for assistance readily available. This was in the older property in respect of GDPR & general security space was limited & pysical files were storedin lock up which i would deem a risky practice. Am sure this has been addressed with new building. Had completed backscanning of files &storelectronically so the hard copy files could be destroyed
It is an Organisation in transition, changing management systems are badly implemented and communicated and add to difficult working environment experienced.
In a nut shell I investigated 12 murders in 8 years solving 80% of them. AGS allowed me be professional and attain a very high standard in my profession as investigator.p
You must do things a certain way, in a certain style and you're not to raise issues or you'll be classed as a "zealot" It's a great job if you want to live and work this way. Pro's - Paid every week, allowances once per month Cons- Bad management, sheep syndrome, poor work life balance, sycophants and old sweat attitudes by senior members.
The variety of work is great. There are great people working in this organisation. The organisation is undergoing significant and positive change at the moment. A typical day involves dealing with some routine tasks but invariably will involve dealing with something new or different.
Pros
Variety of work; great people.
Cons
Experience varies depending on base.
An Garda Siochana has so many and varied Roles that would suit any person willing to be a Public Servant. Each day can bring both rewards and disappointments, excitement and tedium, physical and psychological challenges.
Pros
Camradarie and job satisfaction
Enjoyed my job great experience. Doing general clerical duties. Would like to have been involved in more of. But sadly it was too short my contract expired no extension at all.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No extention of contract
I loved working for An Garda Síochána - the members of the force were great to work with and I got to see another side of our Gardaí. The office is very busy and the days fly in. Unfortunately there isn't at present much opportunity for a civilian to advance. Some of the decisions made by HR Management leave civilians a little bemused - Requests from existing staff for transfers closer to home being ignored for new incoming staff. But as an office a nice place to work in.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
poor pay
Excellent life skills. Competency in dealing with on the spot life and death situations. Working as a team, learning to listen to all sides, not too quick to judge. The enjoyment of starting from scratch with people who are down on their luck, and turning things around and see them live a life of meaning.
Job comprises of shift work where police are required twenty fours a day and three hundred and sixty five days of the year. Every day is different and variety is the key to enjoyment of this work
Standard high risk, high pressure police job. Very enjoyable in days, very trying on other days. The daily tasks can vary wildly and there is low morale across the board currently.
Cons
Shift work
My typical work day was 9-5pm. however depending on what accord on the day, you may need to start earlier or stay later. This was never a problem as the job itself was interesting & satisfying. management always made you feel valued with encouragement feedback. I undertook training & professional development, appropriate to this position.which involved how to input confidential information into the Company’s in-house Database, establishing/maintaining various information, all while working effectively & calmly under pressure & providing a high quality confidential Secretarial & Administrative support for my team members.. I worked with, software packages & replying to letters & emails received. The hardest part of this job was also the most enjoyable as I thrive in a busy environment. It creates a work environment that strengthens employee engagement & retention strategies.
Pros
Feeling valued after a long day
Cons
Long Hours
Whilst the vast majority of the work done daily by the vast majority of members of An Garda Síochána is exemplary and honorable, certain cultural issues remain challenging for the new leadership of the organisation.
Love the job as it gives me an insight to societies problems and what goes on behind closed doors that the rest of society does not see.
Pros
see a different side to society
Cons
pay is very little
I began work in The Garda Síochána as a young uniform member in 1980. Carried out basic Police work until 1993 when I successfully joined the Special Detective Unit (Special Branch). Working exclusively on subversive crime, i soon decided to improve my input against subversive organizations by entering into the more difficult and dangerous work of surveillance officer. After years as part of smaller and larger groups and having trained abroad to deal with urban and rural operations, I was obliged by family loss to return to crime ordinary policing from which I subsequently was promoted to Sergeant rank and further to Detective Sergeant with Garda National Immigration Bureau until retirement last year. The degree of diversity in this organization and it's ongoing commitment to upgrading the capabilities of its staff at all levels is to be admired.
Pros
camraderie culture, many contacts official and unofficial, a sense of belonging and well being
Cons
Shift hours, constancy of public scrutiny, assumption of work well done by the public as the norm