An Post

An Post Employee Reviews

Ireland72 reviews

Kept on our toes and shipping out packages like Santa's elves.

I worked for An Post as a temporary season worker from November right up until January. They offered great wages, social life & benefits. A conveyor belt warehouse in the Dublin Mail Center along with numerous other responsibilities. We would be assigned a certain eirCode (ZIP code) and then scan and deposit packages and mail them into boxes to be shipped out ASAP. It was a fast-paced environment and I was grateful for the opportunity.

Great Job

I worked as a postal operative during the Summer and Christmas and loved it. Pay was good, staff were friendly and manager was really helpful. Aside from being exposed to the elements it’s a wonderful job with a lot of freedom

Easy going and enjoyable workplace

It can take time to learn the ropes of working in a post office. Once you do it’s very enjoyable and you get to know the regulars that would come in and out. Overall a great work environment.

Nice coworkers, annoying customers

It's retail, what else do you expect? There's relatively a lot to get your heard around and is more complicated than other retail positions. Fortunately the other clerks were very friendly and helpful. It can get repetitive as 90% of the time you're just handing out welfare payments, which is fine but can be exhausting.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Tedious, Some problem customers

Negative environment

Cash handling and customer service were mainly the things I had to do everyday. The benefit was I received training and quickly became used to it, I learned to handle money with ease. However the atmosphere was disappointing as staff were constantly complaining making the work there less enjoyable and under stress

I enjoyed my time in An Post, good pay and good work/life balance. Was never put under pressure by my area manager and felt supported. Good hours and days go by quickly

Decent job terrible job security

Decent pay for the work however 0 job security. I received great holidays and annual leave (same for all employees) and reasonable break times. Would work here again if management changed.

Pros

Canteen, staff parking and management try work with you if you need hours changed

Cons

Job security

A really good employer with a lot of ambitious promise

An Post has a lot to be proud about. Excellent people, great values, environmentally-conscious targets and authentic commitments to bringing about positive change for its people and for communities across the country.

Pros

Dynamic teams, interesting work, remote/hybrid working, great pension, career development opportunities and sustainable values.

Cons

N/a

Monotonous same old thing every day job.

I was genuinely excited to get a job in an post. They contacted me for my hgv experience, I was used for several weeks during a busy period. When this was over I was assigned very difficult tasks with poor training and made feel very inferior by management. Staff in general were great, management were horrible.

Pros

8 hour shift

Fast paced

It's a good job but they have a seniority thing in there so long term staff get all the overtime. You don't no your hours till every friday morning when the list goes up.Your work can change in a second and if your on night your continuously asked to work overtime in the mornings and given the only option to do it cause if you say no then you they treat you like dirt.And if you dont get overtime the money is horrible for the work and the hours you got to work

Pros

If you get overtime money is ok but no overtime and pay is horrible

Cons

Money is bad. Treated like dirt till you get made permanent

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at An Post?

Grand place to work

Great place to work. Good benefits. Early starts outdoor all weather. Unfortunately you can be shifted to another location with little or no notice. That’s it

Pros

Nothing exciting

Cons

Moved at short notice

Not worth the mental torture

Suffocating place to work in the Dublin Mail Centre. 19 years service, nobody cares. New people join and are made up to be managers who have no experience or knowledge of sorting, or any respect to long term employees. Most of the time management asks you what to do, it's pathetic. Nepotism runs rife, if you're not related to management forget it. Stupid lazy people get rewarded, hard working people have to carry everyone else. Sycophants everywhere. No rewards for doing a job right, but they are quick to point the finger if they think you did something wrong. Mental stress all time high, morale very low. You mentally have to keep telling yourself just think of the pay to get through it. So many pockets of unhappy angry people, but nothing is ever done right. If something makes logical sense in your own mind regarding the work most likely this is not how the management see it. Very unsatisfying place to work, I mentally try to have a coping mechanism when I walk in there but it's dashed by the time I clock out. Stay away if you are intelligent and want to keep your brain cells intact.

Pros

Salary, pension

Cons

Everything else

Review

Great place to work but shame about the salary very low paid job with no progression opportunities. The staff and management make the job, very friendly environment really enjoyed my experience here but unfortunately couldn’t stay due to being so underpaid.

Pros

Good lunch breaks, friendly environment

Cons

Poor salary

Low wages, unappreciated by management

Very little direction from upper management, and no apparent direction for future business. Many offices to dissappear over the next coming year. Wages due to be cut and offices will close for good.

Pros

Customer are nice

Cons

Job uncertainty

Unnecessarily stressful

An post promotes people of limited ability and intelligence to manager rank so that any request from head office will be obeyed without question to the detriment of the frontline workers whom always take the brunt of change!

Pros

Cons

Early starts, out in all weather.

Difficult but rewarding

Great place to work. Good staff. Good management. Good salary. You learn a lot about multitasking as you could be doing stuff with your hands while chatting to a customer. You learn a lot about customer service.

Pros

Regulars

Cons

Awkward times

Good salary

Worked for an post for 27 years ,great place to work ,money was good, management in cork mail centre originally were fine but new pams in the last 10 years pathetic,,horrible,,dipshits

Nice people to work with

I really like working for an post but unfortunately it won’t give me the opportunity to go where I would like to see myself in the future. The people and colleges are great but the job just won’t help me with what I need to too for the future. Wish that things were different as I’ll miss a lot of people and friends.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Bad wages

Pay is pretty good and you have job security and a pension once you're made permanent

The pay is pretty good its about 30000 a year after tax for a stamdard 39 hour week. The main benefits are that if your made permanent you have very good job security and you join a pension.Scheme.

Pros

Good pay, Job security, Socialable working hours, Good provision of uniform etc, Pension scheme, Health insurance.

Cons

Unsocialable hours eg night shifts, Nepotism, Job favourtism

badly managed

Decent money but not worth it. Too many supervisors hanging around speaking on walkie talkies. You feel like you are constantly being watched. Zero atmosphere

Pros

decent money

Top employer

Worked in gpo for 8 months.. Worked in an post for 42 years..great times.retired in May 2018.. shud have stayed for longer...would return if company would rehire me..benefits allowances and working conditions were second to none....never worked elsewhere.and was always happy to be on payroll...great life for me in an post full stop.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at An Post. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement