Applegreen Employee Reviews

A joke.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford20 March 2019
Applegreen is an absolute joke of a company. They don’t care about you or your life and they will not give you a rota to suit you. You get a bare minimum 30 minute break for a 9 hour or maybe more day and if your late by even a minute they dock you 15 minutes from your day. Management are an absolute joke. I was bullied by my manager and there was nothing to be done about it but smiling and getting on with it. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. You don’t even get staff meals, discounts or anything of the sort you’ve to pay full price for everything as they don’t care for their staff.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Fun and enjoyable place of work.
Part-time deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary16 February 2019
Working in Applegreen was a pleasure. I met so many nice, fun and friendly staff. It was an enjoyable experience. It was hard work but not stressful to say the least. Management was excellent and it was a great experience working there. A typical day at work would be relaxed and fun, work was done efficiently and fast but there was still time to have a laugh. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers and the staff.
Pros
Good Pay and Flexible hours
Cons
Early mornings
A lot of opportunity
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louth15 February 2019
I've been with the company for almost 9 years. There is a lot of opportunity for progression within the company. Salary isn't great and this is why Applegreen are losing good people. It's frustrating for management as we spend time constantly training people only to lose them to a better paid job after a few months. I personally love where I work and my colleagues are great. I have learned a lot of skills thanks to this job.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Poor wages, no discounts or benefits
Applegreen
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry28 January 2019
I loved my job in the company. they are a big company and look after their staff.it is possible to progress in this company I started off as night staff and worked my way up to management.
Pros
the ability to progress in the company
Cons
under payed as they only pay minimum wages unless you get prometed.
Productive and fun workplace
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare14 January 2019
Im with applegreen 3,5years I started at the deli and been move as a supervisor in the shop and after 6months I become a manager as I proof myself as a supervisor so if you work hard enough you can be successful in the future after 3years I can say I'm far enough who knows where I will be in another year...if you like challenge applegreen is great company..
Pros
No lunch or any discount
Cons
Normal hours
Nice Management, terrible conditions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin1 January 2019
I worked in Applegreen for over 4 years. I had 5 managers who I had great relationships with and the fellow staff made the environment nice to work in. However on the other side of things you can tell that middle and higher Management completely don't care about there staff. They expect 100% effort, hard work and commitment for near minimum wage and absolutely no working benefits what so ever and recently took away the 1 free coffee they used to give to staff each day.

They are a money grabbing, cost cutting organisation and it starts with staff. I like a lot of people worked very hard for the company but you don't even get a wage increase. I had to managers ask for a wage increase for me and while one was successful and I got an increase of 20 cent an hour you can tell that was just to try and keep me with the company. Would only recommend working here for college staff trying to make a few bob at the weekend, not for a career and not for more than 6 months. The place doesn't treat staff well enough to deserve any loyalty. I also feel sorry for Management who also suffer with the conditions on offer.
Pros
Atmosphere, nice managers
Cons
Staff turnover, no benefits, no overtime rate, not great training, very low pay, illegal working hours
Horrible place to work, forced me in to depression.
Applegreen (Former Employee) –  Sligo23 November 2018
I was bullied here and treated horribly.
The money is awful and if you work over time it not extra.
No staff discount not even water provided.
destroyed my confidence through bullying.
horrible management, head office has no clue how to manage staff.
Family hired by other managers with no interview and treated differently so unfair on other staff.
Would never go back here!!!!!!
If you care at all about yourself dont work here.
The high turn over of staff in most Applegreens speaks for itself
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Productive and a Great learning opportunity
Sales Assistance (Current Employee) –  dublin7 October 2018
I mostly did night shifts where i would deal with the customers and while doing that i would have other duty's as i would do stocking all the minerals , soft drinks , crisps etc ...
I would also be cleaning the coffee machine and clean the whole shop and have it ready for the morning,
Cons
no staff discounts
Till assistant
Till operator (Current Employee) –  Limerick5 October 2018
Very poor company to work for. No pay rise even after 8 years. Poor management from the top down. Zero training. No set hours and hours are reduced the minute it gets quiet. I would avoid working for this company at all costs.
Pros
None!!!! Absolutely none!!
Cons
Long hours poor pay no training or opportunity for advancement
Worst company ive ever worked for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wicklow2 October 2018
Poor pay
Unprofessional senior management
Ruthless with cutting hours
Little or no morale among staff
No staff facilities
You have to pay any till shortages from your own pocket
Get put on roster to close until 11pm and be expected back in at 7am
No discounts for staff
A lot of foreign staff speaking their own language around you incl managers
Pros
Cons
All of the above
DELI ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Dublin31 August 2018
I didnt work for Applegreen for very long, But i enjoyed every bit of it they fully trained me for the position they offered me, i learned everything from how to use the sanitizers to being full barista trained, the guys i worked along side were great they worked hard and efficiently.the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk to new people everyday
workplace
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsk, County Roscommon29 August 2018
put stock out on shelfes and help customers and have a talk to every customers and I learned more about health and safety, there was nothing hard and the job
Horrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldoyle, County Dublin27 August 2018
I have worked in bakewell for 8 months worse experience I have had as a employee none of my managers remembered my last name I was the only one with no last name on the Rossiter my uncle died so they stopped giving me hours as ours are based on performance so Applegreen stop giving me hours but I was still on the register for 4months after the situation as none of the managers would give me hours or terminate my contract .. No training is giving the rest of the stuff is left to train you in the turnover in Applegreen is on believable so nobody pays your any respect for your work because you can be replaced it’s business as usual I wouldn’t recommend this job to a dog. Also detect we received are taken by one of the staff members who was there the longest and she keeps it until Christmas Time and I receive it’s €30 even though I would make that in a day with my customer service but still gets taken.. If you smoke your 15 minute break don’t get it if fake notes are found it’s taken out the tips none sees anyways
Pros
No free anything no pros your worked to the bone
Cons
9:55 a hour to be told you can’t do anything right
Fast paced
Barista, customer service (Current Employee) –  Lemybrien, County Waterford1 August 2018
Very good hours and pay. Enjoyable to work with all staff members and customers who keep coming back due to the excellent service. Training provided as needed.
Awful place to work at
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin14 June 2018
I worked in Applegreen and lasted just a little over two months. You get paid minimum wage and the managers over you are very demanding and bossy. Always have something new to complain about. Never out on time and no overtime is ever paid . poor poor management I wouldn’t recommend this place to a dog never mind a person the only good thing about working there was your colleagues because you had a good laugh with them. Asked for a payslip multiple times and still have not received one which is a disgrace as tax etc needs to be claimed back no free lunches you wouldn’t even get a free cup of tea out of them for your break. Breaks are 30 minutes and they have a very high staff turnover no set working hours so not much of a social life tends to be long working hours. Perhaps this is just the experience I have gained from where I have experience in but as I have heard all Applegreens are the same. I also wouldn’t recommend working in the bakewell same story there bossy and demanding
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor management no overtime
very poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath8 June 2018
i worked in applegreen and lasted 1month. shop used to be a spar and had great athmosphere but when applegreen took over the shop compleatly changed, business plumetted and staff moral was very low but management didnt care. when i left i asked for my p45 and 6 months later i still dont have my p45 as the manager refused to give it to me. woudnt recommend for anybody.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
Good as a first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Enfield, County Meath30 May 2018
For minnimun salaŕy yuo have to work for a few people poor managment and no respect for staff clients can offence you and you have no rights there. I had worked there for two months only fiday to sunday and whit no managment on the shifts . While there used to be two of them on obe shift, and managment used to give out if somethings wrong even if I was not trained in
Pros
God to learn languge
Cons
Poor managment.
Terrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath22 May 2018
I left because the management was awful, the links in communication was non existent, managers and assistant managers were not aware of each other's instructions which led to confusion and disruptance between productivity. rate of turnover spoke for itself, employees were not happy and left or were let go because of very unfair reasons. The waste disposal was disgusting , layed all over the yard with birds and the like picking at them and bursting bags. Would not recommend. Also no water privelages had to buy from shop, no discount or lunch privileges, leaving premises for break was frowned upon, found very costly to work there.
Friendly work place
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Castlebellingham north31 March 2018
My job covers from clearing tables doing dishes to keeping toilets clean .I work in a friendly environment with good work colleagues. Customers often comment on how good a job I do to how clean the station is kept. The hardest part of my job is the long hours as it's shift work . The best part is hearing customers satisfaction on jobs being well done .
Pros
Close to home
not so fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wexford28 February 2018
did not like this place was in the company for far to long. long working hours and lack of care for staff. all the main people look after themselfs and not the staff