Applegreen

Applegreen Employee Reviews

Assistant deli
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath23 January 2020
Very unprofessional experience working here and not even due to the management of the deli but the talking that can be done in front of customers was so unprofessional. Character defamation and very rude to customers (not my own customer service)
Fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway15 January 2020
Very nice work environment, really helped me to develop my people skills. Fast paced and competitive. Staff are all very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
staff are very nice
Cons
shop is very small
Productive and hardworking but not in a good way
Part-time Sandwaich Artist (Former Employee) –  County Meath9 December 2019
A typical day would be as described... productive and hardworking. However, the reason why I am only rating this a 1 is because the benefits of this job are absolutely non existent. You get no lunch benefits whatsoever. Your half an hour break (even if you're in full time) is unpaid. The manager completely took advantage of my hours. Giving me full time hours ever day I was off, even though I had college work and... a life outside the job.
The hours were the overall reason I left. Eight to nine hours everyday I was off college. It was ridiculous and unrealistic.
I learned to be assertive in this job and to learn in a fast paced environment. Especially when you are given out to on your first day for making insignificant mistakes. Speaking of which The training is as non existent as the benefits. From the first day it feels like you're expected to not make any mistakes. Also, after doing the 9 hours everyday you're off, you're made to do Applegreen and Subway (or whatever department you're working in) training online in your spare time. But nothing practical, that's a waste of Applegreen's time lol.
The management was explained really... wasn't the worst management I had but gave me too many hours.
The workplace culture was clique and stressful. It was all girls who would sometimes be gossiping away while you are serving all the customers and cleaning everything.
The hardest part of the job was being expected to get to grips such work without being practically trained. The most enjoyable part was... the break really. Finally sitting down.

Pros
You learn to think
  more... on your feet and get used to the fast environment. Not really a pro, but its all I got

Cons
Everything else.
Apple Green
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 December 2019
While I was working at Apple Green I was working in the car wash while also working cleaning shop floor, fridges etc. I was also cleaning the four courts and petrol pumps and was responsible for taking out bins and disposing of cardboard boxes.
Sound spot ta work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sligo29 November 2019
Working here for about 6 months and gotta say it a fair company hard work is reconised and management is fair and treat you 100 percent. Would recommend. Room for progression also which is a benefit too :)
Dont work here
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 November 2019
Horrible staff bad culture no morals
No career development opportunity
Little organisation
Absolutely no vision to be ethical
High staff turn over with a disposable attitude
Stressful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lemybrien, County Waterford27 November 2019
Very Big pressure from managment ,always trying to minimise to amount of people working on the site by adding jobs to people.Training is very poor and your expected to know it all
Below average to work for have no respect for their staff.
Subway Manager (Current Employee) –  County Cavan11 November 2019
Worked for applegreen for 5 years and was threatened by an outside driver with violence and company choose to ignore the incident after I reported it there was no investagation done in regards to dispute do not follow their own employee handbook only when it suits them. They do not care about staff just want you to work loads of extra hours without extra pay. If you don't mind been
treated like a doormat this is the perfect job for you. Almost
Terrible just terrible
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Inchicore, County Dublin14 October 2019
You get paid minimum wage, their idea of part-time is 35 hours so good luck. I went on holiday just to come back and find out I was replaced. I would never ever recommend this place
good
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, County Meath13 October 2019
yeah good enjoyed most of it management is a joke was never paid right always excuses from someone but i liked the job itself. shame on the management.
Productive and busy workplace
Sales Assistant/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, County Galway8 October 2019
A typical day at work consisted of mainly on the till dealing with customer's needs, it can be a busy place to work which is good your day goes quite fast and everyone is pleasant. I find the pay very good but it was a build-up to get my wages what they were. Would recommend this job
Wouldn't recommend Ballyvolane
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork2 October 2019
I worked in ballyvolane applegreen for just under 6 months. I seen first hand why the staff turnover is so bad in this particular location. Manage by a lady who runs it like a dictatorship, her daughter is the supervisor, not really qualified, yet she only does one day a week and arrives and leaves with the Manager. Manager discloses staffs personal information information to other staff members and when confronted about it, she acts as tho nothing is wrong with that. Also don't believe the 20 to 30 hour contract as you only get an 8 hour contract and the manager will put you down to that if she feels like it and will laugh in your face if you question her on it , she will just stare that you only have an 8 hour contract. Also I was hired with the understanding that I would be on 10+ an hour and was only receiving minimum wage even tho my contract stated different!
Very bad manager
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Drogeda24 September 2019
Would not recommend to work for that particular Applegreen where I worked!Very rude manager and no feedback what so ever. Only complaining! Small hours!
You will get hired, but that is not a good thing.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Castlebellingham M1 Southbound, Co, Louth13 September 2019
A typical day is being shouted at and treated like a moron, and that is just the customers, the "management" are worse.

I learned that you may have a supervisor or management title, but you are not trained for that position to the same standards of any other similar sized company.

The management need to be fully, and properly trained to run a department and deal with staff professionally. Not trained by the previous manager who obviously would like to see the place fail, and who they themselves had improper training.

the culture is competition between staff and other departments, which is a good idea, but has turned into sabotage and mockery over mistakes.

people generally get along with each other, with a select few frivolously logging complaints to chase a promotion and demean the competition.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within your shift, i would describe it best as not choosing what needs to be done, but choosing what you want to be giving out for not doing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the weekends when little to no managers are around, and you can just get on with your work, because you are an adult.
Not a great company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare10 September 2019
I felt that the companies is constantly changing and that it that is why high staff turnover is present. The management at times can be quite stubborn as they are moved around too much as well.
Hard work, no benefits.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kimmage, County Dublin27 August 2019
This company treats its staff like dogs. High turnover rate, terrible management coupled with no chance of advancement and little pay for the work. Do not recommend working for them,
Friendly and Work Motivated Employees
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork26 August 2019
Very enjoyable company to work for, the work is challenging but not impossible but overall the attitude of my previous employees made it very easy to get work done. Working for this company was my first job and going from no experience to 2 years of experience that will stand to me I am very proud to have achieved
Pros
Free Teas/Coffees, Free Lunches, Employee Rewards Card Discounts
Cons
Working some occasional night shifts
Disaster
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corcaigh, County Cork23 August 2019
Big Disaster - all business taken over by Lithuanians who can't even speak English, and treat all employees like recyclable rubbish. Minimum wage, completely unreliable contract, the amount of hours differs every week even if full time position was promised. Weekly schedule changing every day. so no plans to be made and no life at all.
I'ts a job
Trainee Manager/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wicklow17 August 2019
You go in work and then leave on time if you're lucky. hours are long and work is hard. You are just a number that is used to gain targets. if you're lucky to get a good manager work is okay if not you feel overworked and undervalued.
Cons
long hours, you're just a number to the company.
I like the job but need a change
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Limerick16 August 2019
Working there is great but Can be a bit tedious just want to mix it up a bit.Great company to work for.
Easy-going nature of the job minute easier to work