Applegreen Employee Reviews

You will get hired, but that is not a good thing.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Castlebellingham M1 Southbound, Co, Louth13 September 2019
A typical day is being shouted at and treated like a moron, and that is just the customers, the "management" are worse.

I learned that you may have a supervisor or management title, but you are not trained for that position to the same standards of any other similar sized company.

The management need to be fully, and properly trained to run a department and deal with staff professionally. Not trained by the previous manager who obviously would like to see the place fail, and who they themselves had improper training.

the culture is competition between staff and other departments, which is a good idea, but has turned into sabotage and mockery over mistakes.

people generally get along with each other, with a select few frivolously logging complaints to chase a promotion and demean the competition.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within your shift, i would describe it best as not choosing what needs to be done, but choosing what you want to be giving out for not doing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the weekends when little to no managers are around, and you can just get on with your work, because you are an adult.
Disaster
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corcaigh, County Cork23 August 2019
Big Disaster - all business taken over by Lithuanians who can't even speak English, and treat all employees like recyclable rubbish. Minimum wage, completely unreliable contract, the amount of hours differs every week even if full time position was promised. Weekly schedule changing every day. so no plans to be made and no life at all.
I like the job but need a change
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Limerick16 August 2019
Working there is great but Can be a bit tedious just want to mix it up a bit.Great company to work for.
Easy-going nature of the job minute easier to work
9.15e/h for maximum performance
Retail assistant / temporary supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baldoyle, County Dublin15 August 2019
Worked for 6 months. No discounts just 1 free coffee. Good hours at first then they started to cut them to give to others. Managent was ok but they expect you to upsell everything and be annoying as possible to the customer to squeeze everything out of them.
Cons
Brilliant store, managers, staff etc, but bad work hours
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth15 August 2019
Great store and managers, staff are great but the work hours are tough as well as not fully staffing store on the day of a delivery leaving two employees to manage loads of stock and shop itself
Job? more like slavery!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  motorway29 July 2019
Horrible place to work. Worked there for years. Expected to go above and beyond for just minimum wage. Had to work one night on my own for 11 hours on one of the busiest days with only a few minutes break. Site managers aren't trained on how to handle any situations and don't give any support. Expected to stay on longer and they refuse to pay you. Expected to work 6 days a week with no thanks and chances are they wont pay you for that either. Horrible place, 0 training given, no benefits. I was expected to do the managers job for just minimum wage. All about giving money to charity when that money is taken from employees wages without permission or a choice. They take the tip money and put straight back into the tills so employees don't get a cent. Site I worked on had no air conditioning (which head office refuses to fix) so temperatures reached serious levels and all food went into critical, but they don't care. Also most cameras on sites don't work and head office also thinks there's no point in fixing these. Even after an incident where a person was very badly injured. Very short staffed and a huge staff turnover. AVOID,AVOID, AVOID!
Pleasant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo25 July 2019
Worked there for a year and a half.
Staff lovely to work with, management was good with the opportunities to advance within the business.
Shifts varied so could finish at 11 then start at 7 the next morning which can be exhausting.
Terrible company with no benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford Town, County Wexford11 July 2019
I worked for Applegreen for 4 years. There is no opportunity to grow within the company. The management was unprofessional and when I went to them with a work issue instead of resolving it they went to the person and told them. I worked many Holidays alone even though there is always suppose to be two people working. We were treated like children with the manager even putting up a reward chart. I would dread going to work everyday because it was such a miserable environment. There are better places to work.
Pros
Leaving
Horrible workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo Town, County Sligo10 July 2019
The Sligo store on Mail Coach Road is one of the worst places I have every worked!! So unprofessional and the place has managment taht bullies the employees to the point of where they cannot cope anymore!! Cannot advise people to stay away from this place it is THE most toxic work place I have every worked in and I worked there for a year! And they also dont pay you correctly and make excuses when you ask about your money
Was ok to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  N3 cavan2 July 2019
Hours ok. Until new manager. Then they where all over the place only a day off between shifts. But everyone else had theres together. They need to sort out long serving staff, as they will ruin any chance of new workers staying. Fix your house as they would say.
Pros
Cons
Hours all over the place. Low wage. Training you must do yourself at home
Poor treatment
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louth30 June 2019
Management is poor. Staff mock you daily and do not let you on holidays or take any time off. They will take advantage of you. I would recommend nobody to work here as nobody deserves their treatment of staff. It is mentally a toxic place. An absolute nightmare working here. They wouldn't even give you a slice of bread for lunch for free, or a cup of tea, absolutely nothing.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wages
Staff were nice to work with
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gorey, County Wexford16 June 2019
Worked here for 6 months ,hours we're not my flexi as agreed on contract no training given ,have to say it was the worst place I've worked in a long time
Was let go because they said they were not busy
Don't know how to treat the staff
If your look I g to join Applegreen I wouldn't bother ,Supervisers need proper training kids doing management jobs it's a joke
Pros
No benefits no allowances for lunch
Cons
Hours not flexible
Treatment of Staff very poor
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare27 May 2019
Poor safety conditions and poor management style in the business. There is a huge amount of admin before anything gets accomplished and bizarre business decisions with no respect for staff.
Pros
the staff
Cons
little to none job encouragement and awful management style
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wicklow23 May 2019
I worked in applegreen for over two years. The so called managers of each department are no more than secondary school gossips. If you ever need them just go out the back and you’ll find them all gossiping over a cigarette. Whenever it was busy they were no where to be found and talked openly about other employees it’s a disgrace. While we were all on minimum wage and worked nine hour shifts with barely half an hour break each day (if it was busy you wouldn’t get a break) the managers would be in the office or as I said before having a smoke . If you want to be gossiped about,underpaid and treated like dirt applegreen is the place for you. PS the manager used a personal camera to record conversations? Illegal?
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Too many
The Big Brother Show
Disrespected youth (Former Employee) –  Cullenmore19 May 2019
If you enjoy being treated horribly for minimum money and also to be recorded by the Site Manager's personal CCTV, look no further, Applegreen Cullenmore is the place for you.

Amongst the site you will encounter numerous amount of staff members along with the site facilites who will present themselves to be hard workers, but behind the scenes, it's the managerial side of staff who do the least.
Cons
No social life
Can’t recommend to anyone!!!
Subway manager (Former Employee) –  Palmerston, County Dublin10 May 2019
I have worked for Applegreen for 5 years,if I'm not mistaken, about 10 site managers were changed during this time..which is not good for the staff at all!!! 4 of them were very good, but other ones think they are all allowed,sooo bossy!!! The head office doesn't react to it! When the last manager came, my nerves could not stand it..so I’m left..don’t want to hear anything about Applegreen.
Pros
Wish about it.
Cons
Short with a staff..when it’s busy, you can work alone, cause someone isn’t on the break..I might be extremely busy.
Not an enjoyable place to work.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballyfermot, County Dublin31 March 2019
I didn’t really enjoy working with the organization the staff wasn’t helpful or that friendly as they should’ve been. They didn’t really tell me what I should have been doing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Staff members
A joke.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford20 March 2019
Applegreen is an absolute joke of a company. They don’t care about you or your life and they will not give you a rota to suit you. You get a bare minimum 30 minute break for a 9 hour or maybe more day and if your late by even a minute they dock you 15 minutes from your day. Management are an absolute joke. I was bullied by my manager and there was nothing to be done about it but smiling and getting on with it. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. You don’t even get staff meals, discounts or anything of the sort you’ve to pay full price for everything as they don’t care for their staff.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Fun and enjoyable place of work.
Part-time deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary16 February 2019
Working in Applegreen was a pleasure. I met so many nice, fun and friendly staff. It was an enjoyable experience. It was hard work but not stressful to say the least. Management was excellent and it was a great experience working there. A typical day at work would be relaxed and fun, work was done efficiently and fast but there was still time to have a laugh. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers and the staff.
Pros
Good Pay and Flexible hours
Cons
Early mornings
A lot of opportunity
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louth15 February 2019
I've been with the company for almost 9 years. There is a lot of opportunity for progression within the company. Salary isn't great and this is why Applegreen are losing good people. It's frustrating for management as we spend time constantly training people only to lose them to a better paid job after a few months. I personally love where I work and my colleagues are great. I have learned a lot of skills thanks to this job.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Poor wages, no discounts or benefits