Applegreen Employee Reviews

Horrible workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo Town, County Sligo10 July 2019
The Sligo store on Mail Coach Road is one of the worst places I have every worked!! So unprofessional and the place has managment taht bullies the employees to the point of where they cannot cope anymore!! Cannot advise people to stay away from this place it is THE most toxic work place I have every worked in and I worked there for a year! And they also dont pay you correctly and make excuses when you ask about your money
Was ok to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  N3 cavan2 July 2019
Hours ok. Until new manager. Then they where all over the place only a day off between shifts. But everyone else had theres together. They need to sort out long serving staff, as they will ruin any chance of new workers staying. Fix your house as they would say.
Pros
Cons
Hours all over the place. Low wage. Training you must do yourself at home
Poor treatment
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louth30 June 2019
Management is poor. Staff mock you daily and do not let you on holidays or take any time off. They will take advantage of you. I would recommend nobody to work here as nobody deserves their treatment of staff. It is mentally a toxic place. An absolute nightmare working here. They wouldn't even give you a slice of bread for lunch for free, or a cup of tea, absolutely nothing.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wages
Staff were nice to work with
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gorey, County Wexford16 June 2019
Worked here for 6 months ,hours we're not my flexi as agreed on contract no training given ,have to say it was the worst place I've worked in a long time
Was let go because they said they were not busy
Don't know how to treat the staff
If your look I g to join Applegreen I wouldn't bother ,Supervisers need proper training kids doing management jobs it's a joke
Pros
No benefits no allowances for lunch
Cons
Hours not flexible
Treatment of Staff very poor
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare27 May 2019
Poor safety conditions and poor management style in the business. There is a huge amount of admin before anything gets accomplished and bizarre business decisions with no respect for staff.
Pros
the staff
Cons
little to none job encouragement and awful management style
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wicklow23 May 2019
I worked in applegreen for over two years. The so called managers of each department are no more than secondary school gossips. If you ever need them just go out the back and you’ll find them all gossiping over a cigarette. Whenever it was busy they were no where to be found and talked openly about other employees it’s a disgrace. While we were all on minimum wage and worked nine hour shifts with barely half an hour break each day (if it was busy you wouldn’t get a break) the managers would be in the office or as I said before having a smoke . If you want to be gossiped about,underpaid and treated like dirt applegreen is the place for you. PS the manager used a personal camera to record conversations? Illegal?
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Too many
The Big Brother Show
Disrespected youth (Former Employee) –  Cullenmore19 May 2019
If you enjoy being treated horribly for minimum money and also to be recorded by the Site Manager's personal CCTV, look no further, Applegreen Cullenmore is the place for you.

Amongst the site you will encounter numerous amount of staff members along with the site facilites who will present themselves to be hard workers, but behind the scenes, it's the managerial side of staff who do the least.
Cons
No social life
Can’t recommend to anyone!!!
Subway manager (Former Employee) –  Palmerston, County Dublin10 May 2019
I have worked for Applegreen for 5 years,if I'm not mistaken, about 10 site managers were changed during this time..which is not good for the staff at all!!! 4 of them were very good, but other ones think they are all allowed,sooo bossy!!! The head office doesn't react to it! When the last manager came, my nerves could not stand it..so I’m left..don’t want to hear anything about Applegreen.
Pros
Wish about it.
Cons
Short with a staff..when it’s busy, you can work alone, cause someone isn’t on the break..I might be extremely busy.
Not an enjoyable place to work.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballyfermot, County Dublin31 March 2019
I didn’t really enjoy working with the organization the staff wasn’t helpful or that friendly as they should’ve been. They didn’t really tell me what I should have been doing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Staff members
A joke.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford20 March 2019
Applegreen is an absolute joke of a company. They don’t care about you or your life and they will not give you a rota to suit you. You get a bare minimum 30 minute break for a 9 hour or maybe more day and if your late by even a minute they dock you 15 minutes from your day. Management are an absolute joke. I was bullied by my manager and there was nothing to be done about it but smiling and getting on with it. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. You don’t even get staff meals, discounts or anything of the sort you’ve to pay full price for everything as they don’t care for their staff.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Fun and enjoyable place of work.
Part-time deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary16 February 2019
Working in Applegreen was a pleasure. I met so many nice, fun and friendly staff. It was an enjoyable experience. It was hard work but not stressful to say the least. Management was excellent and it was a great experience working there. A typical day at work would be relaxed and fun, work was done efficiently and fast but there was still time to have a laugh. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers and the staff.
Pros
Good Pay and Flexible hours
Cons
Early mornings
A lot of opportunity
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louth15 February 2019
I've been with the company for almost 9 years. There is a lot of opportunity for progression within the company. Salary isn't great and this is why Applegreen are losing good people. It's frustrating for management as we spend time constantly training people only to lose them to a better paid job after a few months. I personally love where I work and my colleagues are great. I have learned a lot of skills thanks to this job.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Poor wages, no discounts or benefits
Applegreen
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry28 January 2019
I loved my job in the company. they are a big company and look after their staff.it is possible to progress in this company I started off as night staff and worked my way up to management.
Pros
the ability to progress in the company
Cons
under payed as they only pay minimum wages unless you get prometed.
Productive and fun workplace
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare14 January 2019
Im with applegreen 3,5years I started at the deli and been move as a supervisor in the shop and after 6months I become a manager as I proof myself as a supervisor so if you work hard enough you can be successful in the future after 3years I can say I'm far enough who knows where I will be in another year...if you like challenge applegreen is great company..
Pros
No lunch or any discount
Cons
Normal hours
Nice Management, terrible conditions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin1 January 2019
I worked in Applegreen for over 4 years. I had 5 managers who I had great relationships with and the fellow staff made the environment nice to work in. However on the other side of things you can tell that middle and higher Management completely don't care about there staff. They expect 100% effort, hard work and commitment for near minimum wage and absolutely no working benefits what so ever and recently took away the 1 free coffee they used to give to staff each day.

They are a money grabbing, cost cutting organisation and it starts with staff. I like a lot of people worked very hard for the company but you don't even get a wage increase. I had to managers ask for a wage increase for me and while one was successful and I got an increase of 20 cent an hour you can tell that was just to try and keep me with the company. Would only recommend working here for college staff trying to make a few bob at the weekend, not for a career and not for more than 6 months. The place doesn't treat staff well enough to deserve any loyalty. I also feel sorry for Management who also suffer with the conditions on offer.
Pros
Atmosphere, nice managers
Cons
Staff turnover, no benefits, no overtime rate, not great training, very low pay, illegal working hours
Horrible place to work, forced me in to depression.
Applegreen (Former Employee) –  Sligo23 November 2018
I was bullied here and treated horribly.
The money is awful and if you work over time it not extra.
No staff discount not even water provided.
destroyed my confidence through bullying.
horrible management, head office has no clue how to manage staff.
Family hired by other managers with no interview and treated differently so unfair on other staff.
Would never go back here!!!!!!
If you care at all about yourself dont work here.
The high turn over of staff in most Applegreens speaks for itself
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Productive and a Great learning opportunity
Sales Assistance (Current Employee) –  dublin7 October 2018
I mostly did night shifts where i would deal with the customers and while doing that i would have other duty's as i would do stocking all the minerals , soft drinks , crisps etc ...
I would also be cleaning the coffee machine and clean the whole shop and have it ready for the morning,
Cons
no staff discounts
Till assistant
Till operator (Current Employee) –  Limerick5 October 2018
Very poor company to work for. No pay rise even after 8 years. Poor management from the top down. Zero training. No set hours and hours are reduced the minute it gets quiet. I would avoid working for this company at all costs.
Pros
None!!!! Absolutely none!!
Cons
Long hours poor pay no training or opportunity for advancement
Worst company ive ever worked for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wicklow2 October 2018
Poor pay
Unprofessional senior management
Ruthless with cutting hours
Little or no morale among staff
No staff facilities
You have to pay any till shortages from your own pocket
Get put on roster to close until 11pm and be expected back in at 7am
No discounts for staff
A lot of foreign staff speaking their own language around you incl managers
Pros
Cons
All of the above
DELI ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Dublin31 August 2018
I didnt work for Applegreen for very long, But i enjoyed every bit of it they fully trained me for the position they offered me, i learned everything from how to use the sanitizers to being full barista trained, the guys i worked along side were great they worked hard and efficiently.the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk to new people everyday