Applegreen

Applegreen Employee Reviews

Below average to work for have no respect for their staff.
Subway Manager (Current Employee) –  County Cavan11 November 2019
Worked for applegreen for 5 years and was threatened by an outside driver with violence and company choose to ignore the incident after I reported it there was no investagation done in regards to dispute do not follow their own employee handbook only when it suits them. They do not care about staff just want you to work loads of extra hours without extra pay. If you don't mind been
treated like a doormat this is the perfect job for you. Almost
Terrible just terrible
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Inchicore, County Dublin14 October 2019
You get paid minimum wage, their idea of part-time is 35 hours so good luck. I went on holiday just to come back and find out I was replaced. I would never ever recommend this place
Productive and busy workplace
Sales Assistant/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, County Galway8 October 2019
A typical day at work consisted of mainly on the till dealing with customer's needs, it can be a busy place to work which is good your day goes quite fast and everyone is pleasant. I find the pay very good but it was a build-up to get my wages what they were. Would recommend this job
Wouldn't recommend Ballyvolane
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork2 October 2019
I worked in ballyvolane applegreen for just under 6 months. I seen first hand why the staff turnover is so bad in this particular location. Manage by a lady who runs it like a dictatorship, her daughter is the supervisor, not really qualified, yet she only does one day a week and arrives and leaves with the Manager. Manager discloses staffs personal information information to other staff members and when confronted about it, she acts as tho nothing is wrong with that. Also don't believe the 20 to 30 hour contract as you only get an 8 hour contract and the manager will put you down to that if she feels like it and will laugh in your face if you question her on it , she will just stare that you only have an 8 hour contract. Also I was hired with the understanding that I would be on 10+ an hour and was only receiving minimum wage even tho my contract stated different!
Very bad manager
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Drogeda24 September 2019
Would not recommend to work for that particular Applegreen where I worked!Very rude manager and no feedback what so ever. Only complaining! Small hours!
You will get hired, but that is not a good thing.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Castlebellingham M1 Southbound, Co, Louth13 September 2019
A typical day is being shouted at and treated like a moron, and that is just the customers, the "management" are worse.

I learned that you may have a supervisor or management title, but you are not trained for that position to the same standards of any other similar sized company.

The management need to be fully, and properly trained to run a department and deal with staff professionally. Not trained by the previous manager who obviously would like to see the place fail, and who they themselves had improper training.

the culture is competition between staff and other departments, which is a good idea, but has turned into sabotage and mockery over mistakes.

people generally get along with each other, with a select few frivolously logging complaints to chase a promotion and demean the competition.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within your shift, i would describe it best as not choosing what needs to be done, but choosing what you want to be giving out for not doing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the weekends when little to no managers are around, and you can just get on with your work, because you are an adult.
Not a great company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare10 September 2019
I felt that the companies is constantly changing and that it that is why high staff turnover is present. The management at times can be quite stubborn as they are moved around too much as well.
Hard work, no benefits.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kimmage, County Dublin27 August 2019
This company treats its staff like dogs. High turnover rate, terrible management coupled with no chance of advancement and little pay for the work. Do not recommend working for them,
Friendly and Work Motivated Employees
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork26 August 2019
Very enjoyable company to work for, the work is challenging but not impossible but overall the attitude of my previous employees made it very easy to get work done. Working for this company was my first job and going from no experience to 2 years of experience that will stand to me I am very proud to have achieved
Pros
Free Teas/Coffees, Free Lunches, Employee Rewards Card Discounts
Cons
Working some occasional night shifts
Disaster
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corcaigh, County Cork23 August 2019
Big Disaster - all business taken over by Lithuanians who can't even speak English, and treat all employees like recyclable rubbish. Minimum wage, completely unreliable contract, the amount of hours differs every week even if full time position was promised. Weekly schedule changing every day. so no plans to be made and no life at all.
I'ts a job
Trainee Manager/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wicklow17 August 2019
You go in work and then leave on time if you're lucky. hours are long and work is hard. You are just a number that is used to gain targets. if you're lucky to get a good manager work is okay if not you feel overworked and undervalued.
Cons
long hours, you're just a number to the company.
I like the job but need a change
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Limerick16 August 2019
Working there is great but Can be a bit tedious just want to mix it up a bit.Great company to work for.
Easy-going nature of the job minute easier to work
9.15e/h for maximum performance
Retail assistant / temporary supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baldoyle, County Dublin15 August 2019
Worked for 6 months. No discounts just 1 free coffee. Good hours at first then they started to cut them to give to others. Managent was ok but they expect you to upsell everything and be annoying as possible to the customer to squeeze everything out of them.
Cons
Brilliant store, managers, staff etc, but bad work hours
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth15 August 2019
Great store and managers, staff are great but the work hours are tough as well as not fully staffing store on the day of a delivery leaving two employees to manage loads of stock and shop itself
Job? more like slavery!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  motorway29 July 2019
Horrible place to work. Worked there for years. Expected to go above and beyond for just minimum wage. Had to work one night on my own for 11 hours on one of the busiest days with only a few minutes break. Site managers aren't trained on how to handle any situations and don't give any support. Expected to stay on longer and they refuse to pay you. Expected to work 6 days a week with no thanks and chances are they wont pay you for that either. Horrible place, 0 training given, no benefits. I was expected to do the managers job for just minimum wage. All about giving money to charity when that money is taken from employees wages without permission or a choice. They take the tip money and put straight back into the tills so employees don't get a cent. Site I worked on had no air conditioning (which head office refuses to fix) so temperatures reached serious levels and all food went into critical, but they don't care. Also most cameras on sites don't work and head office also thinks there's no point in fixing these. Even after an incident where a person was very badly injured. Very short staffed and a huge staff turnover. AVOID,AVOID, AVOID!
Pleasant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo25 July 2019
Worked there for a year and a half.
Staff lovely to work with, management was good with the opportunities to advance within the business.
Shifts varied so could finish at 11 then start at 7 the next morning which can be exhausting.
Terrible company with no benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford Town, County Wexford11 July 2019
I worked for Applegreen for 4 years. There is no opportunity to grow within the company. The management was unprofessional and when I went to them with a work issue instead of resolving it they went to the person and told them. I worked many Holidays alone even though there is always suppose to be two people working. We were treated like children with the manager even putting up a reward chart. I would dread going to work everyday because it was such a miserable environment. There are better places to work.
Pros
Leaving
Loved working here
Deli Hand/Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roscommon County10 July 2019
This was a family business and I loved working there with my family and colleagues.
Great place to work. Unfortunately I am moving to Galway in September so need to get a new job.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo Town, County Sligo10 July 2019
The Sligo store on Mail Coach Road is one of the worst places I have every worked!! So unprofessional and the place has managment taht bullies the employees to the point of where they cannot cope anymore!! Cannot advise people to stay away from this place it is THE most toxic work place I have every worked in and I worked there for a year! And they also dont pay you correctly and make excuses when you ask about your money
Was ok to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  N3 cavan2 July 2019
Hours ok. Until new manager. Then they where all over the place only a day off between shifts. But everyone else had theres together. They need to sort out long serving staff, as they will ruin any chance of new workers staying. Fix your house as they would say.
Pros
Cons
Hours all over the place. Low wage. Training you must do yourself at home