Applegreen

Applegreen Employee Reviews

Ireland116 reviews
ok place to work
long hours. more u do the less thanks you get. management are hard to please, always had great time for other employees. but not enough to stay. its tough at times.
You will get hired, but that is not a good thing.
A typical day is being shouted at and treated like a moron, and that is just the customers, the "management" are worse.

I learned that you may have a supervisor or management title, but you are not trained for that position to the same standards of any other similar sized company.

The management need to be fully, and properly trained to run a department and deal with staff professionally. Not trained by the previous manager who obviously would like to see the place fail, and who they themselves had improper training.

the culture is competition between staff and other departments, which is a good idea, but has turned into sabotage and mockery over mistakes.

people generally get along with each other, with a select few frivolously logging complaints to chase a promotion and demean the competition.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within your shift, i would describe it best as not choosing what needs to be done, but choosing what you want to be giving out for not doing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the weekends when little to no managers are around, and you can just get on with your work, because you are an adult.
Not a great company to work for.
I felt that the companies is constantly changing and that it that is why high staff turnover is present. The management at times can be quite stubborn as they are moved around too much as well.
Hard work, no benefits.
This company treats its staff like dogs. High turnover rate, terrible management coupled with no chance of advancement and little pay for the work. Do not recommend working for them,
Friendly and Work Motivated Employees
Very enjoyable company to work for, the work is challenging but not impossible but overall the attitude of my previous employees made it very easy to get work done. Working for this company was my first job and going from no experience to 2 years of experience that will stand to me I am very proud to have achieved
Pros
Free Teas/Coffees, Free Lunches, Employee Rewards Card Discounts
Cons
Working some occasional night shifts
Disaster
Big Disaster - all business taken over by Lithuanians who can't even speak English, and treat all employees like recyclable rubbish. Minimum wage, completely unreliable contract, the amount of hours differs every week even if full time position was promised. Weekly schedule changing every day. so no plans to be made and no life at all.
I'ts a job
You go in work and then leave on time if you're lucky. hours are long and work is hard. You are just a number that is used to gain targets. if you're lucky to get a good manager work is okay if not you feel overworked and undervalued.
Cons
long hours, you're just a number to the company.
I like the job but need a change
Working there is great but Can be a bit tedious just want to mix it up a bit.Great company to work for.
Easy-going nature of the job minute easier to work
9.15e/h for maximum performance
Worked for 6 months. No discounts just 1 free coffee. Good hours at first then they started to cut them to give to others. Managent was ok but they expect you to upsell everything and be annoying as possible to the customer to squeeze everything out of them.
Cons
Brilliant store, managers, staff etc, but bad work hours
Great store and managers, staff are great but the work hours are tough as well as not fully staffing store on the day of a delivery leaving two employees to manage loads of stock and shop itself
Job? more like slavery!
Horrible place to work. Worked there for years. Expected to go above and beyond for just minimum wage. Had to work one night on my own for 11 hours on one of the busiest days with only a few minutes break. Site managers aren't trained on how to handle any situations and don't give any support. Expected to stay on longer and they refuse to pay you. Expected to work 6 days a week with no thanks and chances are they wont pay you for that either. Horrible place, 0 training given, no benefits. I was expected to do the managers job for just minimum wage. All about giving money to charity when that money is taken from employees wages without permission or a choice. They take the tip money and put straight back into the tills so employees don't get a cent. Site I worked on had no air conditioning (which head office refuses to fix) so temperatures reached serious levels and all food went into critical, but they don't care. Also most cameras on sites don't work and head office also thinks there's no point in fixing these. Even after an incident where a person was very badly injured. Very short staffed and a huge staff turnover. AVOID,AVOID, AVOID!
Pleasant
Worked there for a year and a half.
Staff lovely to work with, management was good with the opportunities to advance within the business.

Shifts varied so could finish at 11 then start at 7 the next morning which can be exhausting.
Terrible company with no benefits
I worked for Applegreen for 4 years. There is no opportunity to grow within the company. The management was unprofessional and when I went to them with a work issue instead of resolving it they went to the person and told them. I worked many Holidays alone even though there is always suppose to be two people working. We were treated like children with the manager even putting up a reward chart. I would dread going to work everyday because it was such a miserable environment. There are better places to work.
Pros
Leaving
Loved working here
This was a family business and I loved working there with my family and colleagues.
Great place to work. Unfortunately I am moving to Galway in September so need to get a new job.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible workplace
The Sligo store on Mail Coach Road is one of the worst places I have every worked!! So unprofessional and the place has managment taht bullies the employees to the point of where they cannot cope anymore!! Cannot advise people to stay away from this place it is THE most toxic work place I have every worked in and I worked there for a year! And they also dont pay you correctly and make excuses when you ask about your money
Was ok to work for
Hours ok. Until new manager. Then they where all over the place only a day off between shifts. But everyone else had theres together. They need to sort out long serving staff, as they will ruin any chance of new workers staying. Fix your house as they would say.
Pros
Cons
Hours all over the place. Low wage. Training you must do yourself at home
Poor treatment
Management is poor. Staff mock you daily and do not let you on holidays or take any time off. They will take advantage of you. I would recommend nobody to work here as nobody deserves their treatment of staff. It is mentally a toxic place. An absolute nightmare working here. They wouldn't even give you a slice of bread for lunch for free, or a cup of tea, absolutely nothing.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wages
Staff were nice to work with
Worked here for 6 months ,hours we're not my flexi as agreed on contract no training given ,have to say it was the worst place I've worked in a long time
Was let go because they said they were not busy

Don't know how to treat the staff

If your look I g to join Applegreen I wouldn't bother ,Supervisers need proper training kids doing management jobs it's a joke
Pros
No benefits no allowances for lunch
Cons
Hours not flexible
Bakewell Department - Hectic
A consistently busy workplace, which might not be a problem if every employee was given specific roles throughout the day. Under-staffing meant that employees would have to consistently jump between roles which was stressful for the employee and worsened the customers experience both in terms of service and food quality which further amplifies stress. Its not the worst place to work in general but I couldn't see myself working there full-time long-term.
Pros
Decent experience in a catering role
Cons
Poor management and company relationships with staff
Treatment of Staff very poor
Poor safety conditions and poor management style in the business. There is a huge amount of admin before anything gets accomplished and bizarre business decisions with no respect for staff.
Pros
the staff
Cons
little to none job encouragement and awful management style
Terrible
I worked in applegreen for over two years. The so called managers of each department are no more than secondary school gossips. If you ever need them just go out the back and you’ll find them all gossiping over a cigarette. Whenever it was busy they were no where to be found and talked openly about other employees it’s a disgrace. While we were all on minimum wage and worked nine hour shifts with barely half an hour break each day (if it was busy you wouldn’t get a break) the managers would be in the office or as I said before having a smoke . If you want to be gossiped about,underpaid and treated like dirt applegreen is the place for you. PS the manager used a personal camera to record conversations? Illegal?
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Too many