Applegreen
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Applegreen Employee Reviews

Ireland126 reviews
job is handy enough, people working with you are good,but the management really changes the place. depending on how well the managers like you depends on how many hours you get regardless of contracts. Managers of smaller departments have serious power trips and treat some staff like lesser human beings
seen a lot of HR nightmare moments in my time working, managers bullying staff and showing clear favouritism towards others.

area managers tend to treat staff like dirt under their shoes when visiting unless your'e a manager.
Pros
The people you work with can be great
Cons
stuck on 3-11 90% of the time, no free lunch or even water.
Worked there for a year and a half.
Staff lovely to work with, management was good with the opportunities to advance within the business.

Shifts varied so could finish at 11 then start at 7 the next morning which can be exhausting.
I worked for Applegreen for 4 years. There is no opportunity to grow within the company. The management was unprofessional and when I went to them with a work issue instead of resolving it they went to the person and told them. I worked many Holidays alone even though there is always suppose to be two people working. We were treated like children with the manager even putting up a reward chart. I would dread going to work everyday because it was such a miserable environment. There are better places to work.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
This was a family business and I loved working there with my family and colleagues.
Great place to work. Unfortunately I am moving to Galway in September so need to get a new job.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
not enough hours
The Sligo store on Mail Coach Road is one of the worst places I have every worked!! So unprofessional and the place has managment taht bullies the employees to the point of where they cannot cope anymore!! Cannot advise people to stay away from this place it is THE most toxic work place I have every worked in and I worked there for a year! And they also dont pay you correctly and make excuses when you ask about your money
Cons
Hours ok. Until new manager. Then they where all over the place only a day off between shifts. But everyone else had theres together. They need to sort out long serving staff, as they will ruin any chance of new workers staying. Fix your house as they would say.
Pros
Cons
Hours all over the place. Low wage. Training you must do yourself at home
Management is poor. Staff mock you daily and do not let you on holidays or take any time off. They will take advantage of you. I would recommend nobody to work here as nobody deserves their treatment of staff. It is mentally a toxic place. An absolute nightmare working here. They wouldn't even give you a slice of bread for lunch for free, or a cup of tea, absolutely nothing.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wages
Worked here for 6 months ,hours we're not my flexi as agreed on contract no training given ,have to say it was the worst place I've worked in a long time
Was let go because they said they were not busy

Don't know how to treat the staff

If your look I g to join Applegreen I wouldn't bother ,Supervisers need proper training kids doing management jobs it's a joke
Pros
No benefits no allowances for lunch
Cons
Hours not flexible
A consistently busy workplace, which might not be a problem if every employee was given specific roles throughout the day. Under-staffing meant that employees would have to consistently jump between roles which was stressful for the employee and worsened the customers experience both in terms of service and food quality which further amplifies stress. Its not the worst place to work in general but I couldn't see myself working there full-time long-term.
Pros
Decent experience in a catering role
Cons
Poor management and company relationships with staff
Poor safety conditions and poor management style in the business. There is a huge amount of admin before anything gets accomplished and bizarre business decisions with no respect for staff.
Pros
the staff
Cons
little to none job encouragement and awful management style
I worked in applegreen for over two years. The so called managers of each department are no more than secondary school gossips. If you ever need them just go out the back and you’ll find them all gossiping over a cigarette. Whenever it was busy they were no where to be found and talked openly about other employees it’s a disgrace. While we were all on minimum wage and worked nine hour shifts with barely half an hour break each day (if it was busy you wouldn’t get a break) the managers would be in the office or as I said before having a smoke . If you want to be gossiped about,underpaid and treated like dirt applegreen is the place for you. PS the manager used a personal camera to record conversations? Illegal?
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Too many
If you enjoy being treated horribly for minimum money and also to be recorded by the Site Manager's personal CCTV, look no further, Applegreen Cullenmore is the place for you.

Amongst the site you will encounter numerous amount of staff members along with the site facilites who will present themselves to be hard workers, but behind the scenes, it's the managerial side of staff who do the least.
Cons
No social life
I have worked for Applegreen for 5 years,if I'm not mistaken, about 10 site managers were changed during this time..which is not good for the staff at all!!! 4 of them were very good, but other ones think they are all allowed,sooo bossy!!! The head office doesn't react to it! When the last manager came, my nerves could not stand it..so I’m left..don’t want to hear anything about Applegreen.
Pros
Wish about it.
Cons
Short with a staff..when it’s busy, you can work alone, cause someone isn’t on the break..I might be extremely busy.
I didn’t really enjoy working with the organization the staff wasn’t helpful or that friendly as they should’ve been. They didn’t really tell me what I should have been doing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Staff members
Applegreen is an absolute joke of a company. They don’t care about you or your life and they will not give you a rota to suit you. You get a bare minimum 30 minute break for a 9 hour or maybe more day and if your late by even a minute they dock you 15 minutes from your day. Management are an absolute joke. I was bullied by my manager and there was nothing to be done about it but smiling and getting on with it. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. You don’t even get staff meals, discounts or anything of the sort you’ve to pay full price for everything as they don’t care for their staff.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Was trained on the job, and was immediately expected to carry a huge work load, All staff talk of leaving and handing in their notice, No discount to food or anything in applegreen.
Staff are constantly leaving which results in the rest of shop, deli ect. being expected to carry on doing more than their share of work.

Over worked for rate of pay.
Pros
Busy environment
Cons
No Staff benefits, over worked
Working in Applegreen was a pleasure. I met so many nice, fun and friendly staff. It was an enjoyable experience. It was hard work but not stressful to say the least. Management was excellent and it was a great experience working there. A typical day at work would be relaxed and fun, work was done efficiently and fast but there was still time to have a laugh. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers and the staff.
Pros
Good Pay and Flexible hours
Cons
Early mornings
I've been with the company for almost 9 years. There is a lot of opportunity for progression within the company. Salary isn't great and this is why Applegreen are losing good people. It's frustrating for management as we spend time constantly training people only to lose them to a better paid job after a few months. I personally love where I work and my colleagues are great. I have learned a lot of skills thanks to this job.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Poor wages, no discounts or benefits
I loved my job in the company. they are a big company and look after their staff.it is possible to progress in this company I started off as night staff and worked my way up to management.
Pros
the ability to progress in the company
Cons
under payed as they only pay minimum wages unless you get prometed.
There's 2 manages, which really took me by surprise. They were constantly bickering and complaining, always telling you that you're not doing it right when you did exactly what you were told. They tell you to do one thing and then change their mind and tell you to do the opposite. Small shop so manages always have to tell you that you're doing it wrong when really they have nothing better to manage. Became good friends with people who worked there, they were the only ones keep my head above the water whilst I worked there. I quit after a few months, couldn't take it.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours, standing on your feet, always have to be happy even at 5am in the morning.
Im with applegreen 3,5years I started at the deli and been move as a supervisor in the shop and after 6months I become a manager as I proof myself as a supervisor so if you work hard enough you can be successful in the future after 3years I can say I'm far enough who knows where I will be in another year...if you like challenge applegreen is great company..
Pros
No lunch or any discount
Cons
Normal hours