Applegreen

Applegreen Employee Reviews

job is handy enough, people working with you are good,but the management really changes the place. depending on how well the managers like you depends on how many hours you get regardless of contracts. Managers of smaller departments have serious power trips and treat some staff like lesser human beings seen a lot of HR nightmare moments in my time working, managers bullying staff and showing clear favouritism towards others. area managers tend to treat staff like dirt under their shoes when visiting unless your'e a manager.
Pros
The people you work with can be great
Cons
stuck on 3-11 90% of the time, no free lunch or even water.
Applegreen is an absolute joke of a company. They don’t care about you or your life and they will not give you a rota to suit you. You get a bare minimum 30 minute break for a 9 hour or maybe more day and if your late by even a minute they dock you 15 minutes from your day. Management are an absolute joke. I was bullied by my manager and there was nothing to be done about it but smiling and getting on with it. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. You don’t even get staff meals, discounts or anything of the sort you’ve to pay full price for everything as they don’t care for their staff.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Was trained on the job, and was immediately expected to carry a huge work load, All staff talk of leaving and handing in their notice, No discount to food or anything in applegreen. Staff are constantly leaving which results in the rest of shop, deli ect. being expected to carry on doing more than their share of work. Over worked for rate of pay.
Pros
Busy environment
Cons
No Staff benefits, over worked
Working in Applegreen was a pleasure. I met so many nice, fun and friendly staff. It was an enjoyable experience. It was hard work but not stressful to say the least. Management was excellent and it was a great experience working there. A typical day at work would be relaxed and fun, work was done efficiently and fast but there was still time to have a laugh. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers and the staff.
Pros
Good Pay and Flexible hours
Cons
Early mornings
I've been with the company for almost 9 years. There is a lot of opportunity for progression within the company. Salary isn't great and this is why Applegreen are losing good people. It's frustrating for management as we spend time constantly training people only to lose them to a better paid job after a few months. I personally love where I work and my colleagues are great. I have learned a lot of skills thanks to this job.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Poor wages, no discounts or benefits
I loved my job in the company. they are a big company and look after their staff.it is possible to progress in this company I started off as night staff and worked my way up to management.
Pros
the ability to progress in the company
Cons
under payed as they only pay minimum wages unless you get prometed.
There's 2 manages, which really took me by surprise. They were constantly bickering and complaining, always telling you that you're not doing it right when you did exactly what you were told. They tell you to do one thing and then change their mind and tell you to do the opposite. Small shop so manages always have to tell you that you're doing it wrong when really they have nothing better to manage. Became good friends with people who worked there, they were the only ones keep my head above the water whilst I worked there. I quit after a few months, couldn't take it.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours, standing on your feet, always have to be happy even at 5am in the morning.
Im with applegreen 3,5years I started at the deli and been move as a supervisor in the shop and after 6months I become a manager as I proof myself as a supervisor so if you work hard enough you can be successful in the future after 3years I can say I'm far enough who knows where I will be in another year...if you like challenge applegreen is great company..
Pros
No lunch or any discount
Cons
Normal hours
I worked in Applegreen for over 4 years. I had 5 managers who I had great relationships with and the fellow staff made the environment nice to work in. However on the other side of things you can tell that middle and higher Management completely don't care about there staff. They expect 100% effort, hard work and commitment for near minimum wage and absolutely no working benefits what so ever and recently took away the 1 free coffee they used to give to staff each day. They are a money grabbing, cost cutting organisation and it starts with staff. I like a lot of people worked very hard for the company but you don't even get a wage increase. I had to managers ask for a wage increase for me and while one was successful and I got an increase of 20 cent an hour you can tell that was just to try and keep me with the company. Would only recommend working here for college staff trying to make a few bob at the weekend, not for a career and not for more than 6 months. The place doesn't treat staff well enough to deserve any loyalty. I also feel sorry for Management who also suffer with the conditions on offer.
Pros
Atmosphere, nice managers
Cons
Staff turnover, no benefits, no overtime rate, not great training, very low pay, illegal working hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Applegreen?
I was bullied here and treated horribly. The money is awful and if you work over time it not extra. No staff discount not even water provided. destroyed my confidence through bullying. horrible management, head office has no clue how to manage staff. Family hired by other managers with no interview and treated differently so unfair on other staff. Would never go back here!!!!!! If you care at all about yourself dont work here. The high turn over of staff in most Applegreens speaks for itself
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
I really enjoyed working at the Applegreen station. The hours were great and management were always kind to speak and work with. being my first job i found that it was a great introductory experience and thought me a lot about the kind of environments id find myself in under future employers. the most difficult part of my role was acclimating to the night hours, but after a few nights and became a lot easier. i also found that working as night staff and being alone with the store helped with my confidence and dealing with customers as well leaving me feeling accomplished knowing that i was able to manage a store to myself for that amount of time.
Pros
development of strong customer service skills
Cons
adjusting sleep schedule
I mostly did night shifts where i would deal with the customers and while doing that i would have other duty's as i would do stocking all the minerals , soft drinks , crisps etc ... I would also be cleaning the coffee machine and clean the whole shop and have it ready for the morning,
Cons
no staff discounts
Very poor company to work for. No pay rise even after 8 years. Poor management from the top down. Zero training. No set hours and hours are reduced the minute it gets quiet. I would avoid working for this company at all costs.
Pros
None!!!! Absolutely none!!
Cons
Long hours poor pay no training or opportunity for advancement
Poor pay Unprofessional senior management Ruthless with cutting hours Little or no morale among staff No staff facilities You have to pay any till shortages from your own pocket Get put on roster to close until 11pm and be expected back in at 7am No discounts for staff A lot of foreign staff speaking their own language around you incl managers
Pros
Cons
All of the above
I didnt work for Applegreen for very long, But i enjoyed every bit of it they fully trained me for the position they offered me, i learned everything from how to use the sanitizers to being full barista trained, the guys i worked along side were great they worked hard and efficiently.the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk to new people everyday
put stock out on shelfes and help customers and have a talk to every customers and I learned more about health and safety, there was nothing hard and the job
I have worked in bakewell for 8 months worse experience I have had as a employee none of my managers remembered my last name I was the only one with no last name on the Rossiter my uncle died so they stopped giving me hours as ours are based on performance so Applegreen stop giving me hours but I was still on the register for 4months after the situation as none of the managers would give me hours or terminate my contract .. No training is giving the rest of the stuff is left to train you in the turnover in Applegreen is on believable so nobody pays your any respect for your work because you can be replaced it’s business as usual I wouldn’t recommend this job to a dog. Also detect we received are taken by one of the staff members who was there the longest and she keeps it until Christmas Time and I receive it’s €30 even though I would make that in a day with my customer service but still gets taken.. If you smoke your 15 minute break don’t get it if fake notes are found it’s taken out the tips none sees anyways
Pros
No free anything no pros your worked to the bone
Cons
9:55 a hour to be told you can’t do anything right
Very good hours and pay. Enjoyable to work with all staff members and customers who keep coming back due to the excellent service. Training provided as needed.
serving customers on the till. packing the shop. make sure shelves are full all the time. regularly do stock takes (inventory) make sure everyone have a task to complete and customer service is in good level all the time
Pros
discount for break
Cons
extra hours if needed
Nice staff, lack of commitment in the beginning so you have to create a culture of where performance is vital during the work. Company needs to value more their staff in the stations, that is where the money is made for them in the Head Office, so invest in your people, specially in the management.
I worked in Applegreen and lasted just a little over two months. You get paid minimum wage and the managers over you are very demanding and bossy. Always have something new to complain about. Never out on time and no overtime is ever paid . poor poor management I wouldn’t recommend this place to a dog never mind a person the only good thing about working there was your colleagues because you had a good laugh with them. Asked for a payslip multiple times and still have not received one which is a disgrace as tax etc needs to be claimed back no free lunches you wouldn’t even get a free cup of tea out of them for your break. Breaks are 30 minutes and they have a very high staff turnover no set working hours so not much of a social life tends to be long working hours. Perhaps this is just the experience I have gained from where I have experience in but as I have heard all Applegreens are the same. I also wouldn’t recommend working in the bakewell same story there bossy and demanding
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor management no overtime