B&Q Employee Reviews

Better than a Smyths
the team and supervisors made it barrable,money wasn't great, weren't sure when the cutoff point was so you never knew when or for what amount of work you got paid for.
Worked at B&Q for 3 years and I never saw any appreciation for hard work, for anybody.
The management is B&Q’s main issue. In the store I worked in; the managers were comparable to a certain German dictator.
My responsibility was with front end, which I enjoyed at first, as I had daily interactions customers and felt a great sense of worth. However, as the job went on my work became more unappreciated. They would “promote” people, but leave them on the same pay as a regular cashier.
Not good
The staff there are quite gossipy, they talk behind your back and make working there very uncomfortable. The management try to be helpful but it is a bit of a mess to be honest.
Hours were good lots of overtime available
You can get trained for other thing when your in there like customer service and putting out stock.

Lovely people
Reactive rather than proactive management.
B&Q Galway is a very well stocked shop for DIY. There sometimes however is not nearly enough staff to provide outstanding customer service. Management turnover is heavy. Long-term employees are not overly appreciated for the work they do and the skills and knowledge they possess. There are some truly outstanding employees and managers. Typical day is all about customer service and merchandising routines.
Very little appreciation for staff.
Difficult to progress in the company .poor management.
No encouragement to advance .

Poor salaries. Lack of appreciation by managers for the work the team does.

Not enough floor staff.

Good sharesave scheme.

Poor salaries that were subsidised by team bonuses but thease have been stopped this year leaving staff under valued.
Pros
Collugue support
Cons
Low salaries. No advancement . Poor management.
Love my colleagues. Wages not the highest but good working environment.
Great team on the floor. Rediculous over the top health and safety procedures. Loved my colleagues and most management. No Confidence in head office. There is plenty of It errors
Pros
Team are like family
Cons
Computer systems rarely work and a huge amount of procedures
Fantastic place to work
Working at B&Q was overall a fantastic experience. I made life long friends there. The management were the nicest I have ever encountered in a job and the staff were like family.
Pros
Great work environment. Bonuses. Hours to suit your family life. Social clubs.
B&Q Tallaght
The staff in B&Q tallaght are more worried about their colleagues personal lives than customers or sales. Managers have had affairs with sales assistant, a lot of the staff seem to be having flings with each other and then gossip about it while at work. They're are only a handful of employees in this store that are there to work, help customers and make sales. Never worked anywhere like this store before. So if that's what your into apply here if not avoid I'm sure you'll find a nicer store.
a very interesting workplace full of new challenges and experiences. i love it
B&Q is a great place to work. theres always something new to learn everyday. I kid you not.
Also, the Management and staff are very experienced and professional.
Hard Work, Fun Staff
The Liffey Branch has over 100 staff. There is a great sense of comradery in the branch. There are lots of great people to meet and you will make a lot of great friends for life.
The job can be quite demanding physically. There is a constant influx of customers and the footfall on the weekends is borderline insanity.

Being good with your hands is not essential but is a great help as new displays for products are always required.

The managers are fantastic and very supportive, but only if you show that you are a good worker and pull your weight.

Overall I would highly recommend B&Q Part-Time if you're in college or have separate responsibilities.

Full time there is very little room for progression and it takes quite some time to progress. In my opinion full time at this company is a dead end.
Pros
Great Team Environment.
Cons
Dead End Job.
Very helpfyl
Great support easy to get on with great staff and was always able to meet my targets loved dealing with people and promoting different products also very grateful for the oppurtunities to learn from diffferent departments
Pros
Great staff very helpful
Cons
Working every weekend
Great people with Great Products
Friendly, fun and work still gets done. Helpful to customers to get the right products to do their diy projects. Team Spirit and collaboration with all members of the team. Great place to work.
Pros
Good team spirit
B&q
This is kind of not bad employment. But there is a lot of manual lifting and shifting heavy objects.
Pay in not to bad and rosters and monthly as the wages
great place to work
Great team enviorment
I work as part of management team, responsible for store operations on a daily basis incl cash handling,customer decision making on behalf of store.I enjoy the responsibility and totally confident in all decisions made.
Pros
20% staff disc
Cons
hours
perfect short term job
although not a place you would want to have a permanent career, it is a company that offers a stepping stone into other avenues. the work itself is very simple and does not require any expertise
Productive work place
Manage the plants and tend to their growth and development(water and deadhead). I would advise customers on how to best treat a plant or what would suit their garden. Answering any queries.Solve customer complaints. Order stock for customers. Replenish stock.
everyone was productive and a fun place to work
It was a good place to work with a friendly staff and an overall productive yet enjoyable environment. the management were good and always looking for employees to prgoess within the company
Developed Skills
My desire to increase knowledge of performance and risk measures keep me busy in initiating and manage projects to completion. Working on projects keep me motivated to work hard towards constant improvements. While working developed core competencies
Enhancing organisational talent, Embracing change, Client orientation, developing partnerships, driving for results & Decision making
Is a fun place to work
A typical work day is very busy. B/q deals on home improvement and people are likely to buy things for their gardening, and other building materials. At this time of the year that winter is approaching is another busy period as customers are busy painting their house getting ready for xmas. While some are buying fuels and coal for their fire places.
Pros
The enjoyable part are the new customers that I meet every day.
Cons
Long hours of standing
fun place to work great people
i worked night shift for 4 and a half years putting away stock and making up customer orders and i loved every minute of it . I was working with a great group of people . The hardest part of the job was the large list of thing that had to be done on top of putting away a forty foot trailer of stock every night . But we always got it don with time to spare