Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from B&Q:

B&Q Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,208 reviews
the team and supervisors made it barrable,money wasn't great, weren't sure when the cutoff point was so you never knew when or for what amount of work you got paid for.
- Department managers and higher could not care less, you won’t ever be praised...EVER unless your a favorite. You could go above and beyond and they would not bat an eye lid.
- Management should learn to praise their staff and the staff might actually want to do their work to a high standard instead of constantly being discouraged and unsupported.

- This completely excludes team leaders because there the best in the store. They will support you endlessly!!
Pros
Good pay, amazing team
Cons
Bad management
22 October 2020
Thanks for your comments. Colleague engagement is a priority for us, hence why we offer a really varied reward and benefits package; engage with our National People's Forum to encourage colleague voice and hold our annual Glint survey to listen to how our colleagues are feeling. Sorry to read that you haven't felt appreciated in your specific store, we'll be sure to pass this feedback on to the management team at Luton so they can address asap.
When I joined the business 17 years ago there were many people with over 15 years service and my thought was "It must be a good place to work if they have been here that long". Many of those people now have over 30 years service and I can confirm that it is a great place to work!

The pace is fast and is getting faster, support is excellent and cross functional working in the Store Support Office leads to great teamworking. There are always areas to improve on, but having an inclusive culture helps those changes to be made. It really feels like you are making a difference and sometimes that is immediate across the whole business which is very rewarding.
Pros
Opportunities to grow your role, staff discount, positively changing environment
22 October 2020
Thanks for the 5 stars! Great to read that you've had such a positive experience at B&Q. You're right - pace is fast and getting faster, both in our stores and in our Store Support Office, and we appreciate that this isn't the right working environment for everyone but if it's right for you, that's brilliant! Keep an eye on our Yammer feed for new L&D opportunties as there's a raft of new apprenticeships to get involved in, ideal if you're curious to grow your B&Q career even further.
Great friendly atmosphere brilliant environment to make new friends and work as a team during covid b&q took the necessary steps to keep all staff and customers safe and did a great job
Pros
Staff discount
15 October 2020
Thanks for your review and for the 5 stars, glad to read that you're feeling valued at B&Q.
i got a infectious illness and couldnt come to work for two weeks as people there were pregnant and also customers didnt need to be near me, had a doctors note and was fired two days after my return for no apparant reason. also change shifts without telling you in advance, in cases i was in from 8am and meant to leave at 2-3pm and rota changed and was in until 8-9pm to fit new rota
Pros
long lunches
Cons
everything else, very clique like with the staff.
15 October 2020
Thanks for your comments, we'll look into this with the relevant line managers as this doesn't sound in line with our HR policies.
Enjoyable work company. Career advancement over is second to none. Great overall sense of achievement with structure and a management team who are great to work with and for
Pros
Great salary and benefits, high rates of pay for managers vs other companies
Cons
Travel up to 50 miles when advancing career
1 October 2020
Thanks for your great review and for the 5 stars. We'll be sure to share your feedback with our Gillingham team.
For a young persons first or maybe first few jobs this is perfect the pay is amazing for someone under 25 many weekend staff are uni students/ college students. Most management respect the work/student life balance. some management arent the best but this happens in every job. 10/10 would recommend working here for a part time job for young students.
Pros
salary, great people
Cons
part time means no weekends off
1 October 2020
Thanks for your positivity! We'll share your comments with our Nursling team, today!

Company does offer varied positions and job opportunities either full or part time. Lots of stores nationwide. Management can be slow to react to situations.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Limited management
1 October 2020
Thanks for your feedback, it's really appreciated. We'll be sure to share it with the right managers who can make any changes needed.
I worked at B&Q and every day had a new thing to complain about. Managers were bullies and unhelpful towards staff mostly one manager who is despised by everyone who works for her she constantly makes everyone who works for her feel horrible hate their job I came into work crying almost every time I had a shift with her. I complained to other managers and he and got in trouble for it. They don’t care about either of your physical or mental health.
Pros
Other coworkers were amazing
Cons
Horrible managers who don’t care about you
Generally speaking, the people who work at B&Q, from management down to customer advisors are amazing people to work with, however, the work load and tasks given often lead to a stressful environment to work in due to a lack of time and overworking.
7 September 2020
Thanks for your comments. We appreciate that workload can be very high at times but hopefully you felt able to discuss this with your line manager. All the best for your next role.
just dont work here, if you are on the tills half the time you end up being left alone when you need a price check and your not ment to leave the tills so you get stuck with a customer who starts getting angry with you about it
Pros
Cons
everything
7 September 2020
Thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had a soecific issue in your store. Hopefully you were able to discuss your concerns with your line manager. We wish you all the best for your next job.
B&Q force people to jobs that aren't safe and go against the company Health and safety guidelines. They change working hours last minute and don't care if you have children. I've seen someone make a valid complaint against a store manager only to be fired for it. Reginal mangers force staff to do jobs that are against health and safety and then put all the blame onto the member of staff.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
No life out of work, Poor management
7 September 2020
Thanks for your comments. It sounds like you had a very specific grievance in your store as we take safe working extremely seriously and support the education of our teams around safe working with a lot of training and guidelines. We hope you were able to resolve this in your specific store.
As it was my first ever job I was extremely nervous when I first started, I would barely talk to my colleagues let alone start a conversation, unless it was to do with my work. Despite how socially awkward I was they would always try to include me when they were having fun.
Pros
Flexible hors
Cons
Hard start
7 September 2020
Thanks for sharing, really good to read that your colleagues made you feel welcomed and included. We've just launched a new induction programme that's designed to make things easier for new starters. Please do ask if you can jump onto it and see if it helps.
B&Q is the worst place I ever worked. Poorly managed by incompetent undeveloped management who don't know how to lead and manage and look after a team of workers. The manage are scally and chaves who have become managers because their face fits. They don't have a clue in management and never been trained to be managers.

The whole company is poorly managed and we are told we are here for the greater good of the company and should worship B&Q as if it is a religion. Staff are overworked and exploited with poor pay and working conditions.

The company cuts costs at every level that you are burden with so much workload. The stores are understaffed and poorly run that it has a negative consequence on the employees in terms of customers complaining and taking out their frustration and shouting at the poor service you give them.

Everyone has a can't do attitude to work and the moral is really low due to the poor pay, workload, bad management, bad culture and working conditions which ruin your health. Everyone wants to leave and find a better job. But B&Q exploits the weak and vulnerable in society who can't get jobs elsewhere and are stuck and trapped there. The management and the company don't care about the workers and treat you like rubbish. I have never worked in a company like this.

As you have read in other reviews this place is an awful place to work and the good reviews look and feel fake.

I have reduced my working hours since I started working there and now only do 8 Hours have worked hear for over 5 years part-time. B&Q is not a professional company as
 - more...
Pros
1) 50% of colleagues are friendly and nice to work with. 2) 20% staff discount
Cons
1) 50% of your colleagues are scally and chaves, 2) Poor pay 50p to £1 above the minimum wage, 3) Overworked doing 3/4 peoples jobs, 5) Short staff on every area of the store, 7) Moral is really low, 8) Poor health and safety and working conditions, 9) Staff toilets are not clean that you can’t even breath when you go in there smells of pooh, 11) No career development, but who wants to work there anywhere, 11) Exploitation of the weak and vulnerable in society who can’t get jobs elsewhere.
1 October 2020
Thanks for leaving such a detailed review. It's really sad to read, and certainly not the experience that we want our colleagues to have, nor the experience that we see in the vast majority of our stores. There's a huge amount of training and support available on upskilling managers, H&S procedures, Inclusive working, safe store working and standards etc - so none of these issues should be happening. We've shared your comments with the relevant Regional Management and support teams who will be addressing these immediately and making improvements where needed.
Taken on as a Temp over COVID19. Nice staff, friendly. Was told it was temp but there would be a job at the end of it [first month] then it depends on the main Owners Kingfisher, then last month, just bullied and laughed at. Made to stand in the rain or hot sun for 4 hours with no break. No one takes over your post, you get a warning if you leave if no one turns up after 20 minutes, management tells you off for not leaving.
All staff seem unhappy with Management. You have to chase them around with an overtime back book for them to sign, no signature no overtime, and has to be done by the end of the week/

Feel like ending my life with the bullying and the way B&Q cover it up.

Pros
friendly staff
Cons
little money evil mamagement
1 October 2020
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to read that you didn't have the best experience, we'll be sure to share your comments with the relevant teams so that they can address and make improvements asap.
I worked at B&Q for 8 months on the Front End Team. Unfortunately we didnt have a Team Leader so training was done on your initiative for a while, and learn things as you go rather than a set training schedule.
To begin with our store manager was fantastic, easy to talk to and friendly however they were transferred and the new manager who took over was terrible and went on a complete power trip. The job itself is demanding but ok, it purely depends on the managers. I only left because the managers and staff turnover was extremely high, 8 members of staff left within a month. We werent supported if we had rude and verbally abusive customers, theres quite a lot to do on Front End so youre kept busy, but you HAVE to have a thick skin.
Pros
Staff & Family discount, full uniform provided, plenty overtime
Cons
Staggered days off, Long shifts, short time between shifts
7 September 2020
Thanks for sharing, we've taken your feedback and we've just released a new induction programme to help all of our new starters, including those assigned to front-end.
Enjoyed must of my time at b&q at the be beginning which was many years ago. Until The company decided to stop any ideas coming from the workers this made it a not very challenging place to work, the company has changed so much from I started my work experience in the company. The company does not want anyone to think for themselves, you must simply follow the B&Q regime and they will be happy.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not family friendly
7 September 2020
Sorry to hear that you didn't feel that you were encouraged to share your ideas - a lot has changed since you were with us! We have a 6 monthly Glint survey where all colleagues can share ideas and give feedback on their specific stores, plus our National People's Forum is there to hear ideas and escalate these to our Board. Our Board members are often out in our stores to listed to our colleagues and share feedback, plus our internal Yammer network is an open forum for all colleagues to raise concerns, ask questions and help each other. We also have our #MyB&Q Yammer page where colleagues are encouraged to share their ideas for continuous improvement across our business and rewarded for the best ideas.
Bad place for a career. Especially if you are from an ethnic minority background. They even set up black people to commit mistakes. I was once set up with a broken pallet carefully wrapped to be on upper shelves with a forklift. They kept cutting my hours.
Pros
Cons
Lots
17 August 2020
Thanks for your comments - really shocking to read that this has been your experience as we do so much as a company to encourage inclusion for all colleagues. We have a really diverse colleague base at all levels so find it hard to read that you feel that ethnicity is a barrier for career progression. We'll be sure to share your comments with our Wellness & Inclusion Manager so he can look into this further.
12hrs a week
3 evening shifts

Almost family friendly hours

Would have hated to work in a full time role

Very little training, poor team work.

Little management support, in a time pressure role.

Pros
Cons
Poor pay, my role changed hours
17 August 2020
Thanks for your comments, sorry to read that you didn't have the best experience. Our new colleage induction programme has been a little neglected of late due to the challenges we've faced with corona virus, but we have a new, simpler induction programme launching in September which should help with colleague training.
The Dearne valley store lacks leadership, managers are very low calibre, Lack basic common sense. Communication channels are pathetic. The staff morale is at rock bottom.
Pros
Collegues on shop floor
Cons
Management is dire
17 August 2020
Thanks for sharing and we're really sorry to read that you've had a bad experience with Managers in your specific store. We'll be sure to share your feedback so that changes can be made.
One of my favourite jobs I have had. Much less stressful than many other retail jobs. Progression can take along time - employees seem to work for years at B&Q before they are "ready" for promotion.
Pros
Never take your work home with you
Cons
Progression is time-based, not skill based.
17 August 2020
Thanks for sharing your views and for the 5 stars. We'll be sure to share your comments regards progression with our L&D team as they're keen to encourage internal promotion wherever possible. We currently fill around 68% of our roles with internal promotions, but we can always do better.