Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Job security & advancement reviews

Ireland160 reviews

Clear
3.3Job security & advancement

If you're ambitious, motivated in financial services and sales, this is definitely the career for you

Good vibrant organisation to work for with promotion if you're ambitious, also they offer various schemes to join including a pension scheme which you contribute to through your salary

Pros

Subsidised canteen, pension scheme

Cons

Can be stressful, very slow progression

No Opportunities

To work here they want you to have qualifications but you never get to use them and the Management I worked didn't have any 3rd level qualifications. There is a Yes Man culture with management and they are quiet clickie.You cant take annual leave as when you start you are at the bottom of a big list and the summer is mainly gone. If you get invited to a wedding you might not get the day off if its already taken on the list.In Branch Banking the work is mainly Monkey See Monkey Do. You will be given training but not enough so you will be left feeling like a fool on occasion.Mainly contract staff now unless you build a special relationship! and get made permanent.I would not recommend leaving a job to come work here and if you do work here just use it for experience and leave at 2 years and try find something decent as otherwise they will take your good years and make you decide to "Take the Package" once you have kids and a mortgage.

Pros

you get paid

Cons

Cant take annual leave when you need, not a nice atmosphere, No Job Security realistically with banks going digital

Rubbish place to work

Worked there previous and bulling place to work. Poor management and poor training of managers. Not good about maternity leave and work life balance..

great as an entry level position but no career progression

Great when you start but soon you realise that its not a great place to work, increased workload the longer you are here with no increase in pay. No benefits, very poor systems , no career progression opportunites

Pros

good overtime, on site canteen

Cons

very outdated and poor performing systems, salary is very poor for the workload, no progression, dont want to promote people, nearly impossible to get any sort of payrise

BOI- Bristol

Disappointing management and senior team that have let many employees down and gave me the worst experience ever. I do not recommend it for the purpose of growing and progressing and learning as you work. I am grateful to have gone through this experience cause what doesn’t break you always makes you stronger.

Fun

Good place to work. Flexible working options. Good support to learn and switch between roles. Salary isn't great and progression is slow. Good management

Paid time off

Being from the United States, I was thrilled to be offered 12 weeks paid time off my first year. They were understanding, as its part of their culture to have life outside of your job.

Pros

Community atmosphere

Poor workplace culture and no permanent opportunities

Contracted 12 monthsApplied for 15 jobs (both externally and internally)Feedback from HR extremely poor and no follow up. Told there is no possibility of to apply as contractor. Would not recommend anyone to this company if contracted and looking for permanent position.

Pros

Close to city centre

Cons

Poor training, poor team collaboration, hierarchical. HR are not helpful

Good work life balance

Regular Office hours and work life balance Nice team And interesting projects Hours were regular and overtime optional Various teams working in same area

Pros

Hours

Cons

Office

I did not enjoy working for BOI

I worked with bank of Ireland for 10 years. I found this company to lack organisational ability and offered little or no opportunities to employees who wished to better themselves or seek promotion.

I enjoyed my time in BOI, learned loads and the experience was invaluable. Great company to work for. Management were mostly great with a few exceptions as per every company. Great company for advancement and my colleagues were brilliant.

Excellent place to work

Good place to work, excellent pay rates, friendly welcoming staff,convenient location, good work life balance. Am still working here now .............

Productive workplace

Bank of Ireland is very good place to start your career in finance. In the bank there is a lot of space to grow and in one year that i am in the Bank i can tell i learned a lot about finance, and that will definitely help me in the future career.

No work life balance.

Management style & overall management team need to enter the 21st century. No work life balance, little understanding of life outside of the bank. No opportunities for working from home, part time work or job sharing. A lot of very highly skilled mothers have left their employment because of these issues. It needs to be addressed if women are ever expected to stay in the workplace. Although it is not just a problem in bank of Ireland, it is particularly prevalent from 20 years experience working there

Excellent

I loved working with Bank of Ireland. It is a very good firm. Got chance to work on multiple projects with different skill sets required. They offer wonderful opportunity in terms of working and learning parallel.

Boi risk

Good hours, amazing management, great co-workers. Perfect place if you have a family or want an amazing work-life balance. Cons to that is you aren't improving, and the skills you learn here are not sufficient enough to keep you as a competitive candidate in the future. You will never be outside your comfort zone

Good place of work

I really liked working in the branch, as one day is never the same. Things are different in every branch. The staff where friendly in general. Company' employment benefits are very good, but if you are on temporary contract, it is harder to avail of all of them.

Fast moving environment with opportunities to learn and and progress

Great opportunity to learn and upskill yourself in banking. opportunities for further education and qualifications. Career progression possible if you put work in.

Over qualified for the role

This was a contract role - Over qualified for the role - Job was not what I was expecting however I needed the job at the time. The programme going on was huge and would have been interesting if you were involved in the meat of the work.

Progressive workplace

If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, this can be a good place to work. With various locations available, travel times can be reduced. salaries vary depending on experience and grades. There are good educational supports available within the company.

Pros

subsidised canteen, good senior management

Cons

shift work timimgs can change to meet changing business needs

Terrible - avoid at all costs

Worst place I have ever worked. No respect for staff and zero emphasis on promotion based on merit. No formalized training on entry to role, expected to learn on the job.Bullying environment where management use policy to create a toxic environment for staff members. Performance assessment metrics are subjective (not formalized) and open to manipulation by team leaders. A number of staff are on long term stress leave and management make no efforts to resolve causes of work related stress.Promotions are not based on merit. Easily influenced people who will not challenge status quo ineffective processes or unfair treatment of staff members. Zero staff morale/protections in place and no desire to make the environment a efficient, effective, and motivated workplace.

Pros

Salary is comparative with market rates

Cons

IT in dark ages, management uneducated and uninformed, no respect for staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement