Bank of Ireland logo

Bank of Ireland Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.3Job security & advancement

Excellent place to work

Good place to work, excellent pay rates, friendly welcoming staff,convenient location, good work life balance. Am still working here now .............

Poor workplace culture and no permanent opportunities

Contracted 12 monthsApplied for 15 jobs (both externally and internally)Feedback from HR extremely poor and no follow up. Told there is no possibility of to apply as contractor. Would not recommend anyone to this company if contracted and looking for permanent position.

Pros

Close to city centre

Cons

Poor training, poor team collaboration, hierarchical. HR are not helpful

Good work life balance

Regular Office hours and work life balance Nice team And interesting projects Hours were regular and overtime optional Various teams working in same area

Pros

Hours

Cons

Office

I did not enjoy working for BOI

I worked with bank of Ireland for 10 years. I found this company to lack organisational ability and offered little or no opportunities to employees who wished to better themselves or seek promotion.

I enjoyed my time in BOI, learned loads and the experience was invaluable. Great company to work for. Management were mostly great with a few exceptions as per every company. Great company for advancement and my colleagues were brilliant.

Productive workplace

Bank of Ireland is very good place to start your career in finance. In the bank there is a lot of space to grow and in one year that i am in the Bank i can tell i learned a lot about finance, and that will definitely help me in the future career.

No work life balance.

Management style & overall management team need to enter the 21st century. No work life balance, little understanding of life outside of the bank. No opportunities for working from home, part time work or job sharing. A lot of very highly skilled mothers have left their employment because of these issues. It needs to be addressed if women are ever expected to stay in the workplace. Although it is not just a problem in bank of Ireland, it is particularly prevalent from 20 years experience working there

Excellent

I loved working with Bank of Ireland. It is a very good firm. Got chance to work on multiple projects with different skill sets required. They offer wonderful opportunity in terms of working and learning parallel.

Boi risk

Good hours, amazing management, great co-workers. Perfect place if you have a family or want an amazing work-life balance. Cons to that is you aren't improving, and the skills you learn here are not sufficient enough to keep you as a competitive candidate in the future. You will never be outside your comfort zone

Good place of work

I really liked working in the branch, as one day is never the same. Things are different in every branch. The staff where friendly in general. Company' employment benefits are very good, but if you are on temporary contract, it is harder to avail of all of them.

Jobs at Bank of Ireland

See more jobs

Fast moving environment with opportunities to learn and and progress

Great opportunity to learn and upskill yourself in banking. opportunities for further education and qualifications. Career progression possible if you put work in.

Over qualified for the role

This was a contract role - Over qualified for the role - Job was not what I was expecting however I needed the job at the time. The programme going on was huge and would have been interesting if you were involved in the meat of the work.

Progressive workplace

If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, this can be a good place to work. With various locations available, travel times can be reduced. salaries vary depending on experience and grades. There are good educational supports available within the company.

Pros

subsidised canteen, good senior management

Cons

shift work timimgs can change to meet changing business needs

Terrible - avoid at all costs

Worst place I have ever worked. No respect for staff and zero emphasis on promotion based on merit. No formalized training on entry to role, expected to learn on the job.Bullying environment where management use policy to create a toxic environment for staff members. Performance assessment metrics are subjective (not formalized) and open to manipulation by team leaders. A number of staff are on long term stress leave and management make no efforts to resolve causes of work related stress.Promotions are not based on merit. Easily influenced people who will not challenge status quo ineffective processes or unfair treatment of staff members. Zero staff morale/protections in place and no desire to make the environment a efficient, effective, and motivated workplace.

Pros

Salary is comparative with market rates

Cons

IT in dark ages, management uneducated and uninformed, no respect for staff.

not the greatest

moving within BOI is difficult. salary moving internally doesnt go in line with the role. they do provide great training and other education systems are out dated

Pros

education

Cons

salary and progression

flexible working in multiple roles

Learn in role, on job. Could work on management in all areas between colleagues to work together, staffing numbers would assist in this area also. Large amount of information to be learnt in all areas, fast paced roles in which you must be willing to be flexible in working.

Can be stressful due to staff shortage .

The banking sector is changing with the times. There is however a shortage of front line staff to assist with customer expectations. Customers expectations are changing as is the way that banking is progressing. It is becoming more automated and less paper transactions.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Lack of staff.

Good Company, Opportunities Have Become Limited

I am fully QFA(Qualified Financial Adviser) as of July 2017 have worked on both the operations(back office) side and the customer to customer helpdesk & query side. I have also been part of a project Team to identify Fraudulent transactions & cancel fraud payments before leaving customers account. If unsuccessful we also made our best effort to recoup the customers funds. Currently my day to day tasks include processing, ordering, re-issuing, & cancelling Business Credit Cards. I am in direct contact with the Companies themselves for any requests or queries. I also compile MIS reports & QA of all work carried out by the Team on a Day to Day basis. I like to work here as staff are treated well & fair, but opportunities are becoming more limited, with robotics systems being rolled out. Also there are very few employee incentive schemes.

Pros

Comfortable Working Environment. Job Security

Cons

No Free Lunches. No Colleage Rewards. No incentives i.e. bonus, gifts, promotions etc. Very low focus on employee moral, which I feel is vital.

Enjoyable

as someone who always worked in hotels and the service industry my time in back or ireland was a welcome change, i enjoyed the pace of the bank and the management were amazing.

Pros

9-5, Weekends off

Cons

difficult customers

Hard working fast pace

I worked with Bank of Ireland on a Summer internship. It was a great learning curve for me, but the bank I worked in was very old fashioned and allot of workers didn't like the change of automation or welcoming new employees.

Productive and enjoyable place to work

Bank of Ireland is a great place to work, They are very friendly and fair, you are rewarded for hard work. They believe in furthering education and there are multiple course available for staff to take to enhance their skills and develop their career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement