Bank of Ireland
Bank of Ireland Employee Review

Challenging and very uncertain.

23 September 2017
I've been working with BOI for the last few months while they implement the move to self service and half day cash services in branch. I received no training whatsoever and was expected to hit the ground running. Every day is a challenge when dealing with customers who are told they can only access part of their account balance due to cash counters closing, who are made to cancel a DD or SO online, or who have to give notice to withdraw over 5k. In my opinion the branch staff are there to take the abuse and get on with it for a poor salary. The job itself has become somewhat easier since the changes have taken place, however my colleagues and I still receive daily complaints from irate customers, with some personal attacks. Most of my time is spent showing customers how to use the self service devices, setting up new accounts and registering customers for 365 Online. The afternoons are usually very quiet as customers just use the devices without requiring assistance. In my current branch, the staff get on very well and pull together for the sake of getting a job done but the workplace culture of BOI and the supposed perks and progression routes they advertise, are non existent. For a younger person, it is not ideal as there are no outlets or potential for staff events.
Pros
Staff get on very well, work is relatively easy once you get settled, working hours are not very long.
Cons
No consideration for staff, poor salary, no social events or potential for networking.
27 March 2020
Same role
I enjoyed my time in BOI, learned loads and the experience was invaluable. Great company to work for. Management were mostly great with a few exceptions as per every company. Great company for advancement and my colleagues were brilliant.
15 August 2018
I worked with Bank of Ireland on a Summer internship. It was a great learning curve for me, but the bank I worked in was very old fashioned and allot of workers didn't like the change of automation or welcoming new employees.
10 May 2020
Good place to work and having more scope for leaning.Good team work.Collabrative things.Things move slowly because of regulations.Work from home facility is there .Work life balance if good.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.