Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Employee Reviews

Ireland141 reviews
The job itself is not too difficult although you need to be prepared to deal with unpleasant customers and difficult situations. Strict deadlines to meet everyday and overall overworked for just above minimum wage position.
Pros
Canteen on site, ongoing compliance training
Cons
Understaffed, no pathway for progression, management biased
Experience gained in staff education, product development, nationwide delivery of systems, & products, procedures and compliance within a regulated environment
Pros
job security, wide variety of tasks
Cons
travel to city centre
Good environment to work in, willingness to apply the agile methodology and change management practices to support the program of change. Culture and environment always has you on your toes.
I enjoyed worked for Bank of Ireland. The money was good, made lots of friends, managmenent were very reasonable and fair. Worked there for a good number of years.
I've been working with BOI for the last few months while they implement the move to self service and half day cash services in branch. I received no training whatsoever and was expected to hit the ground running. Every day is a challenge when dealing with customers who are told they can only access part of their account balance due to cash counters closing, who are made to cancel a DD or SO online, or who have to give notice to withdraw over 5k. In my opinion the branch staff are there to take the abuse and get on with it for a poor salary. The job itself has become somewhat easier since the changes have taken place, however my colleagues and I still receive daily complaints from irate customers, with some personal attacks. Most of my time is spent showing customers how to use the self service devices, setting up new accounts and registering customers for 365 Online. The afternoons are usually very quiet as customers just use the devices without requiring assistance. In my current branch, the staff get on very well and pull together for the sake of getting a job done but the workplace culture of BOI and the supposed perks and progression routes they advertise, are non existent. For a younger person, it is not ideal as there are no outlets or potential for staff events.
Pros
Staff get on very well, work is relatively easy once you get settled, working hours are not very long.
Cons
No consideration for staff, poor salary, no social events or potential for networking.
Customer Centricity prevails. Strong work ethic within teams and across channels. Supportive culture - of self, team and all work colleagues. Focus on personal and professional development - consistent support available in this regard.
A very inclusive, accommodating and opportunity filled company. Good benefits and a great working atmosphere. Sometimes atmosphere was quite relaxed, and it wasn't the most innovative company.
Pros
Inclusive
Cons
Lacked innovation
Bank of Ireland has provided me with a career in financial service,customer service and customer care, which i now would like to enhance going forward.
A typical day at work is Exceeding my goal and this is paramount.

What have learned - Do not give excuses but learn and make corrections.

Management in BOI - Have always work to details and loyal to my employer.

My last employer (BOI)The workplace culture is one of the best have experienced.

Hardest part of the job - I will not call it the "hardest part of the job" but learning on the job. There are days the target looks impossible but as a professional Business Analyst, research is my weapon and have always used it to combat a bad day and it as never failed me.

Enjoyable part of the job - When I achieve and exceed my goal as a professional Business Analyst in a project.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Conservative management within a fair and friendly work environment. Hardworking ethos. Constant deadlines and pressure but fair attitude to holidays/time off and good rewards for success.
Bank of Ireland really don't value their staff. Their workplace culture is almost non existent and it can be difficult to get credit for the work you have completed. Neither show signs of changing any time soon.
Pros
Few and far between
Cons
No workplace culture what so ever
I worked there for 13 years and I had a great time and learned so much. I made so many friends, learned so much, learned how to take up learning new systems from just one lesson. It teaches you how to be well disciplined and how to look after yourself and self manage your work. Attention to detail is very important.
Pros
people who we work with, culture
Cons
15 minutes for toilet break
I work on a large ticket Portfolio which consists of complex residential and commercial assets. It is my responsibility to manage these cases and implement solutions on all non performing facilities.
I have worked in BOI as vendor partner but yes I can say t is very easy and comfortable working with BOI, management is super good and takes care of employee's interest. Highly recommend to work there.
Short staffed on a continuous basis
Received no training

Badly managed

Culture of bullying

Hardest part of the job is the lack of focus on the customer

Most enjoyable part of the job was the work itself and the customers
Cons
I was embarrassed to work for them when it came to customer care
I had a great experience there. I just left because I needed to relocate to London.
Great staff

Amazing kitchen

Good facilities

In a nutshell, a great place to work. And I would return there.
Pros
Nice chilled environment & career opportunities
Cons
Work really long hours for very okay pay. I don't know why I'm writing this review, I worked as a free lancer for three days, this doesn't apply to me
Fun to work and a had a great workplace culture. It was a 9am to 6pm job and 5 days a week. Lucky to have on the job learning experience. People were friendly and ready to help.
No day is the same, always very busy. People are extremely friendly and caring, no question is too small. Have made friends for life. People that work for BOI are extremely hard working in my experience.
Pros
Nice people, good learning opportunities if you've the time, busy
Cons
Internal politics
Interpret data, analyse results using statistical techniques and provide on-going reports;
Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and analyse by using relevant software;

Identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data set;

Filter and “clean” data, and review computer reports.

My greatest achievement during these months is that I could analyse and search data expertly by using Oracle, a kind of data stream software based on SQL (Structured Query Language) which I have never heard before I came to the bank. In fact, it is widely used in all financial areas and it is a basic language for data analytics.
Dealing with customers needs day to day and working as part of a team. Always tried to keep smiling and keep positive with both customers and staff. Alot of changes in banking in past 5 years as like alot of other businesses keeping up to date with technology, self service devices and on line banking. Majority of customers and staff embraced this change and hardest part of job was to keep explaining the Banks reasons for doing day to day banking differently. Most enjoyable part of job for me was meeting all sorts of people in a very busy branch.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Short staff and machines breaking down
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.