Barnardo's

Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Ireland11 reviews
I loved working there on work experience the staff were extremely nice and I learned a lot from there they showed me how they steam and they would tagg the clothes we were showed to make the shop look better by putting the clothes in the same colours I highly recommend someone to work the
The CE sponsors really weren’t very nice to work for.. they were only happy when they were squeezing every bit of work out of you, they were all take take take.. they were also very manipulative in getting what they wanted..
Cons
Doing work I wasn’t paid for
I love volunteering in the shop, it feels like a family once you settle in. You're always on your feet, and I go to the shop to get a break from studying, and I always feel welcomed.
As a student in this large scale children’s charity I absolutely loved my time there. I learned so many new things that will undoubtedly help me in my future career(s) working and educating young children.
Barnardo's was a busy fast paced work environment to work in.

A typical day of work at Barnardo's would involve the sorting of donations and making sure they are good condition for sale on the shop floor.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Barnardos is a good place to work. Its core work is to assist disadvantaged children. The company's working conditions are good and employees enjoy good working relationships with each other.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
The reason that the rating is low on salary is because it was a charity. I thoroughly enjoyed working there and my fellow workers are all top people and the small management team are great to work with as part of a team.
My day would often consist of

Opening the store and prepping it for business

Dealing with customers on a personal basis and serving on a til and dealing with refunds and customer complaints

Loading stock out the back and sorting out clothing and other items to be sold through the store or recycled

Closing the store and setting the alarm

Cleaning mirrors,changing rooms, floors,windows etc

Cash handling and doing the banking

Steaming clothes and pricing stock in the sorting room and then putting them in colour co-ordintion on the shop floor

Taking in donations from the public

Hard part of the job was the soiled items that some members of the public actually donate in order to get rid of what anyone would deem as rubbish ie soiled or torn or destroyed goods

Enjoyable part of work is the team I worked with and knowing that we were all making a difference to a childrens charity
Pros
Helping a worthy charity
Cons
some soiled donations
A typical day working in Barnardos required stock control display of store and display of store window. The shop was continuously changed around shelves being moved sections of clothing changed to different areas etc. so it required a lot of organising. co- workers were funny and kind as i was only 15 at the time it was my transition year work experience/commuinity action and they made me feel really welcome. i learnt a lot in barnardos something new everyday my co workers often said i am very mature and efficient and catch onto things quite quickly. there wasnt anything extremely difficult about the job and everything about it was enjoyable even when up to the ceiling with new stock arriving and having to go through every single item it was still an enjoyable enviornment to be in.
It is well balanced we all work well together. If one finds themselves under pressure we can rely on each other. The atmosphere is great
and we all communicate well with each other.
Pros
Nice working environment
it was a great experaince i worked with very kind and out going people i loved my job there but due to becoming pregant and my contract was up that was it . but i learned alot about costomer service and interacting with people also i opened and closed the shop i also did banking for the company the people were 100 persent in learning all the staff new things ...
Cons
10 am to 6/7 someti, es aldepended on the days
Barnardos offers support to families who are disadvantaged and supports them in reassesing their life and making changes which best support their families.