Barnardo's

Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,392 reviews
I loved working there on work experience the staff were extremely nice and I learned a lot from there they showed me how they steam and they would tagg the clothes we were showed to make the shop look better by putting the clothes in the same colours I highly recommend someone to work the
I volunteered at Barbados for a short while. When I was there I learnt new skills. The members of staff and other volunteers were warm and welcoming they made me feel part of a team
I volunteered at my nearest barnardos and I loved it , the staff are so nice and helpful and it was always a good atmosphere, you get a employee discount on stuff in the store and if something is unable to be sold employees can take it home instead of the bin would 100 percent say volunteer there its very rewarding
it was interesting working behind the shop as I was able to understand the process on what happens. A typical day was, you had a lots of clothes to put on racks and labels on. there wasn't anything difficult about the job it was quite easy.
Pros
free time
Cons
not organised
This is a one-person role, training is one day reading a power point. Plus volunteers are like gold dust..trying to keep volunteers is even harder as inductions are quite book heavy. The KPI’s are unreasonable, the workload too extensive for one person to manage 50 plus bags of donations a day, 100 on a Wednesday.. on top of incessant stock rotation & constantly doing overtime/volunteering due to shortage of staff. Conditions are also unacceptable. Toilets without lights, fire exits blocked, no where to even sit to eat your lunch. I would never get my hour lunch I would have to close the shop & take only 10 minutes to eat as I would often have no support. There should be security in every shop also, many times I felt unsafe & vulnerable due to thieves or troublemakers. No amenities, one heater for a shop also. Worst job ever
I worked here for around a month and could do no more, first of all when I applied I assumed it was just another sales assistant job, but you are actually an assistant manager without the pay bonus. They barely train you and get frustrated when it takes you a while. One of the volunteers was stealing donations and rather than get rid of her they moved her to another store??? They made me work in a different store on my own and when the takings went missing, they blamed me, although the manager had told me their had been thefts there before. It was obvious this had been going on a while and I was a scapegoat they could blame for it. I got threatening emails for weeks afterwards, then they quickly changed their story to "we suspect you and two other people." Clearly something dodgy is going on within this company.
Pros
Cons
Bad hours, bad management, bad staff
A really get place to work the team are really nice and kind and funny. They don't have a dress code but I recommend you dress nice as there will be a lot of customers
Awful place to work. A lot of bullies and the old guard. Management has no experience of residential only rest bite. Never saw manager, gave no training always muck up your pay. Payroll unhelpful. Kids are great and some staff. Really demoralising place to work. Avoid.
Working for barnardos was a memorable experience. The Volunteers were very nice and welcoming, they are a big help. The other staff were also very helpful. The main problem with barnardos is that upper management doesn’t care about those working in their shops. Lone working is a big part of the job, if you don’t have any volunteers in that day you will find yourself running the shop on your own.
Pros
Very nice volunteers, staff and customers.
Cons
No support from upper management.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barnardo's?
Can be worked to the bone, expected to work overtime without extra pay, however Managers and chief have huge pay. Internal structure run very much as business, of-course good for the longevity for any company but can be at the detriment to staff and service users. PBR a huge thing for Barnardos, and when on contract the staff are put under extreme pressure to perform. Good training offered but no job progression.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Overworked underpaid
Management isn’t understanding what so ever. As a Sales Assistant you are trained as part of management because you will more than likely be left to run the store yourself 3/4 days a week. However the pay does not reflect this (you will get less than the actual manager for doing the same work) and there is no chance that they will pay you overtime!
Pros
It was a learning experience
Cons
Management and pay
Love working here. Great place great managers! Caring and very supportive. Love my job so much. Great job satisfaction. All staff are very passionate with the work we do for children and families.
Pros
everything
Cons
On the face of it everyone is nice. Manager is nice but in truth she’s there to pass the time. Has no clue about young people and their challenges. Doesn’t like making difficult decisions, doesn’t like challenging people and as result ends up annoying staff. Constant comparisons about how other teams work but misses the point that they are led by strong managers. The Mids have assessors who are forceful and therefore the manager bows down to their request having no regard for the tutors and other staff. It’s a mess to be honest. The funded programme doesn’t get the time commitment it requires and numbers are not exactly truthful!
Pros
Tutors who care, nice office and work areas, good money
Cons
Poor ETS manager who doesn’t understand the needs of young people and cannot make decisions
I really enjoyed working there. I learned a lot about customer service while i was working there as volunteer and it helped me to build my confidence and learn team work.
Like minded people all working to ensure the young people are given the best opportunity to flourish. Excellent management support and ability to progress knowledge and career. You have the ability to learn from peers during in house training sessions. Monthly management suoervision
Pros
Excellent management support and ability to help young vulnerable people.
Cons
Charity work does not pay well.
Barnardo's is a great place to volunteer and it gives you a lots of great skills and experience in the retail industry. Throughout my work experience I gained a lot of skills in retail and done amazing tasks. The managers I've had throughout my work experience were all supportive and gave me great crictism and feedback on my tasks and what I needed to improve on. The working hours I had were great and every work day was normal or completely different with sorting out different types of stock, working the till, dealing with a customer problems and many others. The volunteers I've had throughout my work experience were all great and working well in team tasks was really good. If any students are thinking of finding a job in retail or looking for any work experience in general, this is one of the best places to work at for work experience in the retail industry.
As this was my work experience I didn’t get paid,however I did pick up on a lot such as dealing with customers,helping them find what they want and making sure everything’s out away nicely
Treated like dirt most of the time by the manager who makes negative remarks. Then also proceeds to sit on their backside not doing anything.Then left to do most of the work on my own. Cannot complain to any higher management, as they only take the word of the Manager.
Pros
Good cause, Volunteers if any, Customers
Cons
Not many volunteers, Lazy management, Rude management
I worked here for several months, and it's safe to say that they keep you up on your feet. It's entirely voluntary, so I wouldn't recommend working here if you're looking for a job that pays, nonetheless, I would recommend to any young teens who are looking for a voluntary job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Non!
Barnardos is a worthy charity but it is more high end retail now than actually a charity They have no regards for their staff or about salary increment
Pros
Worthwhile charity
Cons
They don’t care about their staff
Project was in collaboration with the NHS providing a fantastic service to vulnerable families. The role required lots of travel so organisational and prioritisation of tasks was key. Well supported by a fantastic manager.