Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Showing all 5,744 reviews

okay place to work

pretty monotonous but overall not that bad. Friendly coworkers, good employee discount. The work environment is filled with nice people.low pay for the workload

N/a

Great work environment. Management really listens to your needs. Get dibs on first books in stock. It is like one big family. If I didn’t have to move then I would of never left

Nice place to work

Nice people, good environment but little room for growth and not great pay. Flexible hours are good for students but occasional late nights and overnights not great for people with families.

Production based work

Pay are too less compare to others and work progress based on production There are most enjoyment functions in company building as outside picnics program by company

Pros

Cafeteria are there

Cons

Two short break

Book lover

Book people are the best people. Unfortunately this job is less about books and more about corporate retail. The advancement opportunities are barely there. Huge homeless, transient and drug problem. Long hours, big demands for productivity and barely any compensation. A “be grateful for what we do give you” attitude.

Pros

40% off books

Cons

Schedule suck

I loved working for this company

It was a great company to work for. Life just got in the way. Also when management got reshuffled the new management wanted to change everything that made our branch successful.

Easy to get the hang of

It’s a basic job, but doesn’t have a great part time wage. There are some good people there and you’ll be able to interact with your coworkers . Nice discounts offered if you enjoy shopping there.

Pros

Up to 40% off on books and other items

Good starting job

Good place to work the pay isn’t good. Definitely a fun job if you don’t mind repetitive work. Really relaxed work environment and dress code. I really liked working here.

Inclusive atmosphere and teamwork

I enjoyed working with people of all ages, from students to people retired from professional positions. Being able to borrow hardcovers to read, as well as advanced reader copies or older paperbacks, was a fun enhancement of the job. I thought I didn't know much about music, but found I did not mind the occasional times I worked in that job. It took awhile to adjust to the physical aspects of standing and cashiering all day, but the exertion led to sleeping well at night, even after unwinding from the pressure of closing and cleaning up quickly once patrons left for the evening.

Great if you love books, but thats it

I worked at BN for about 4 years. I loved it, and dont regret my time there. I was one of my locations best booksellers in terms of memberships and books of the month. Great customer service and great feedback from them. Despite ALL that I was constantly turned down from promotions.Management wants you to go above and beyond but not offer you any incentive. They love to play favorites and create a hostile environment. At times the environment felt very cliquey. Some members of management knew this but really didnt do anything about it. I felt any issues I brought were often ignored and I was often looked down on for bringing these issues. I have a deep love of books and desire to be a writer.

Fun workplace with lots of time for reading

I loved working at Barnes and Nobles because the environment was very relaxing and perfect for reading. Helping customers is also fun as you are able to direct them give them person suggestions and expand your personal library in the process.

Decent

The job itself and my coworkers were incredible. They hire great people and it was easy to get along with everyone. Management was horrible. They didn’t respect their employees at all.

Bookseller

Company says they want more store autonomy then 2 months later makes stupid unilateral decisions only to reverse them later. The discount and coworkers are good.

Pros

Discount

the teamwork

I am very happy working at B&N, I am a Barista, work register and bake. My café Manager is so accomidating I love working with customers and making drinks

Favorite job

I am a reader, so working at Barnes & Nobles was a natural fit for me. I definitely would say it was one of my favorite jobs. But, the hours were minimal and varied. I would have enjoyed working full time or maybe getting into management. Both the staff and management were pleasant to work with.

Pros

Check out books to read for free

Cons

minimal and varied hours

Typical retail/ customer service job

I stopped working at barnes and noble in 2019, right before Waterstones took over. Since then I have heard that working conditions are a lot better and the dress code is less strict

No opportunity for advancement

This company was ok. Much improvement in all areas is needed. Training was difficult and too much information to process given for a short amount of time. There was no opportunities to advance. Customer service calls are timed. The training staff was very limited and questions remained unanswered and yet you were held accountable. Finally the job was more detailed than initially discussed and the salary was not the best.

Easy work with good work enviroment.

I worked at Barnes and Noble distribution center for about 5 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working there. Everyone was very kind and welcoming and the work was not difficult in the slightest. Occasionally I'd be sent to do other work which was more intensive, but overall the work was easy and I really liked my time there.

Good job, horrible environment

That actually job was very fun for me and I enjoyed everything about it. The environment was the most toxic work environment I had ever been in. Bad management ruined the job for me. I started dreading every day I had to work and I know other coworkers felt the same.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Terrible management, never gets cleaned, some of the rudest customers I’ve ever worked with

Great Place to work

I recommend working here. It is a great place to be and very fun to sell books. The best part is recommending the books to people and also employees discount.

Friendly employees, nice senior café manager, but terrible store managers.

A majority of the employees were very friendly and there was one friendly manager working in the café, however, the store managers made the employees uncomfortable and often times left them feeling overworked, especially for the low hourly pay. This was probably due to the amount of turnovers the store would get, and I don't blame any of them for leaving. A common occurrence as a barista specifically would be a manager snatching your co-worker and leaving you on your own; and that's on the days you actually get help in the café. Most of the time, you'll just be alone up there all day, which can be just awful as lines can get very long at the drop of a hat and you'll have to hope that one of the few workers that are café trained are available to help you. You are better off getting a job at McDonalds, at least you'll have higher pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement