BoyleSports Employee Reviews

Worst company to work for
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Wicklow20 October 2019
I’ve never seen a worse run business in my life, all about customers they don’t care about the staff at all they won’t pay us close to competitors expect you to work on your own for the day not being able to access the bathroom freely with no extra pay and certainly no thanks! They send you from shop to shop without asking! Any problems they fob off to other regional managers no one wanting to be bothered it’s an absolute joke of a company and my advice would be stay well clear of Boyle sports unless you want to be treated like a dog
South east
Bookmaker (Former Employee) –  Carlow2 October 2019
Dont care about their staff at all once they have customers in the shop they dont care
No staff safety at all
The only good thing about this job is the customers
Simply put it very close to modern day slavery
TRAINEE DEPUTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry22 September 2019
The job advancent stars on this are misleading, you have advancement because if you last 6 months in a shop you could well be the manager by default because everyone else has left due to the horrendous condition, almost all of the canteens in the shops are in the toilet so you can eat your sandwiches while your colleagues do their business. Third world stuff Ridiculous long shifts, 13hours day but the expected opening and closing of the shop can take longer possibly a 14 hour day, you will not be paid for overtime in this respect. Staff shortage is extreme so they expect you to travel country to different shops at drop of a hat, cover shops alone, this means no regular toilet or lunch breaks when your alone. Standerds expected are high but lack of staff to train prevents this. Abuse from customers is simply laughed at by higher management
Absolute Cretins
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 September 2019
Small number of decent collegues, new employees expected to work 6 night a week, wages are so bad. Upper management are just tossers and no help given, I don't know how this company get away with their lack of breaks, single manning for 12 hour days and the general disregard for staff safety.
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ballyfermot, County Dublin21 August 2019
Busy work environment but enjoyable! Got to met very charismatic individuals both working and serving! Could be very strenuous at the times but worth it.
Busy, Rewarding Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry9 August 2019
Very Busy place to work, very eye opening about the world of the bookmakers. Very fulfilling place to work at times but some days can be long and very boring, Very nice days if you are deeply interested in horse and greyhound racing.
Pros
kind staff
Cons
long hours, little bonus
Horrific
Training Dep Manager (Current Employee) –  Ireland6 August 2019
Disgraceful wage bar the fast you work 50+ hours a week and are hounded on days off. No security. No staff appreciation. Most possibly the worst company to work for. The only thing that is half decent is the staff WITHIN the shops is what keeps the place going. Management do not care whatsoever. No social life as you're doing 12 hour shifts
Pros
Some decent people work within shops
Cons
Everything else
Productive hard work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lucan, County Dublin20 May 2019
for being away from where I live was complicated because of taking the first bus in the morning, or picking up the last one to go home when I decided to go to work at night to advance the work the other day. was a good experience, for being my first in town, so I was able to learn to get around here and do a good job of cleaner. knowing a new work environment.
Pros
nothing
Cons
far way for my home
Enjoyable
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donabate, County Dublin10 May 2019
Hours are 12-8, really enjoyed working here. Gained knowledge of working with sums of money and I enjoyed getting to know the regular customers and meeting new faces each day.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
fun place to work
Deputy Manager of the shop (Former Employee) –  Athy, County Kildare10 May 2019
very long hours, 13 hour days
hard to balance business and pleasure
made great friends working here, higher up management can be difficult to get on with
Pros
good christmas bonus
Productive place
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Ennis, County Clare11 April 2019
Boylesports is a great place to work and there is lots of job opportunities with the company to further your career. The hours can be long at times but over all its a brilliant company to work for.
Pros
very flexible with hours
Cons
long hours when your a manager
Awful company avoid
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth28 March 2019
Rubbish company to work for treat their staff like dirt. You are made promises at your interview dont listen they are all lies staff hate the company with a passion.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, rubbish pay could go on for ever
Long hours no thanks
deputy manager (Former Employee) –  County Dublin28 February 2019
During my time working for boyles I was with the company 4+ years and received a pay rise of 10 cent per hour the only rise in my time with the company! The hours are long and get thrown into different shops on a daily basis it can be dangerous customers can be very aggressive we get no support from regionals if we are genuinely sick we are told to find our own cover. There is no prospects they give u plenty more work with little or no benefits staff are not nearly trained enough and are expected to train new comers. Most shops don’t have areas for lunch for staff.
Cons
Long hours no thanks!!
Overall review
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Dublin, County Dublin25 February 2019
Very poorly run company, don't care about staff only thought process when any problems arise is if the customer is okay and if they are still gambling. Hours can be long with only 30 min break for shifts of 9+ hours, rostering is a weekly issue, being thrown into unknown shops far from your base shop, having to share staff members with other shops on daily basis just to try and save a day's pay even when there are staff available to work. Starting minimum wage and with a mangers wage of only 2 or so euro more even though the stress and expectancy levels for both wage brackets are huge and very rarely receive any sort of thanks for going far and beyond the job description.
Pros
Welcoming and nice staff
Cons
Everything else
Not happy place to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 February 2019
Didn't like working there.hours were unbearably long left alone Manning the shop at late hours.little things like been taking for granted,drunk people verbally attacking you with no support whatsoever.absolute nightmare at times.wages are poor the long shifts are brutal and nobody cares.
fast paced
technical
flexibible shifts
strange hours
not very good pay
not much room for progression
not much training
but no real responsibility
Enabling addiction
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth10 January 2019
The larger festivals, e.g Cheltenham are fun but everyday life in Boyle Sports is sad to see. Lads in there all day every day wasting lives.
If a customer wins but loses ticket and doesn't realise they have a winner, staff are not allowed to tell them. Mr. Boyle keeps it!
Boylesports
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Galway30 December 2018
While working there our customer base increased by 20%.
I was lucky to have a strong manager who supported me and any training I had to do, because of his leadership I was very willing to cover shifts, come in on days off or learn extra tasks to decrease his workload.
Very low wage & poor communication
Acting Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin, Dublin, IE18 December 2018
Wage is very low considering the situations staff have to deal with, especially shop managers who have have a heavy work load with little to no thanks
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Long days & low wage
Not a nice place to work
Call agent (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth15 August 2018
unsocial work hours
bad pay
HR are little or no help
Promotions offered without any incentives e.g later hours with harder work for the same pay that may be increased after 6 months to an extra .60c an hour