BoyleSports

BoyleSports Employee Reviews

Ireland96 reviews

Chaotic and unorganised

Boyle sports is an unruly and chaotic workplace that mistreats it workers while spreading them as thin as possible. Under experienced and underpaid workers are commonly expected to take responsibilities above their pay grade, sometimes without their knowledge. People who were not managers were often asked or expected to go between shops in one day which has before caused confusion resulting in one shop being dangerously understaffed and others being over staffed.

Cons

Long shifts often asked to be worked back to back.

Only just a number to these people work you to the bone for 13 hour days on your own with no breaks

13 hour days on your own with no breaksWorking up to 50 hour and more because someone went sick and you can't leave when you are ment to.Only a number no values

Pros

Customers

Cons

Extortion

Good place to work can sometimes be fast paced and feel stressful, all staff are amazing managers are always very helpful and there is always a chance to progress if you want to

Pros

Staff are friendly

Horrible hours and management

You are expected to work long hours and do everything for minimum wage. My regional manager was very rude and childish and made multiple people cry while at work. Place is super understaffed so you get overworked and asked to come in on your days off weekly unless you put your foot down. Not to mention the treatment from some of the customers. Very stressful for minimum wage, not worth the effort.

The morbid pit of despair.

Working at Boylesports taught me a few things. Firstly, gamblers are some of the worst creatures known to man… secondly, the hierarchy of the company has one thing in mind and one thing only… profit. This is over the mental and physical welfare of not only staff, but the poor people who have fallen into an endless pit of addiction, costing them their livelihoods, families and most of all their happiness. It is neglect to the highest degree and working for them made me feel like i was an instrument to make them dirty money and nothing more. 13 hour shifts, sometimes alone, in inhumane conditions, getting abused, threatened and belittled…. whilst making minimum wage with no benefits. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy.

Long hours, working every weekend, always adding on bits to do. Always new people coming and going, Management say they are always there but when you have an issue they don’t want to deal with it. Customers can be rude. 12/13 hour shifts no need for any bookies to be open that long

Fast paced job can be stressfull

Colleagues where lovely , very fast paced job ,poor wage for level of responsibility, long hours over 7 day roster, good fun with customers but can have issues to resolve aswell ,might suit a younger adult who doesn't have family as hours are long and only close fully 2 days a year.

Fun place yo work

I loved working boylesports from the company worker's right through to management best job I havd had in years but unfortunately there was not enough hours for me. The shop is very busy so you will have to know what you are doing but training is given

Good people, bad industry

As my first job I felt welcomed by the amount of care, and attention to being trained properly. The staff in all the shops I worked in were amazing and friendly. HR helps out where they can and you are trained quickly and you can make it manager with good time and skill.Downsides are they pay the worst out of the other bookies. The benefits are not great but enough to keep you comfy. Plus the 12 -13 hour days in the shop really start to drain you after awhile. That and customers can treat you awfully over money and you don't feel entirely safe because of some violent characters.I cant say much else but the people in the company are all amazing and nice. Lots of flexible work hours but your all on call essentially to cover your shop and feel bad due to it.Pros - Good People, flexible hours, quick and effective training.Cons- Long hours, bad compared pay, pressure in stressful times.

Treat Staff Terrible

Very badly run, impossible to make plans outside of work with how the roster is done. Pay is very low and zero staff benefits, would not recommend to anyone.

Excellent place to work

I am very happy working here fantastic company and staff100% recommend this company to work for. Everything positive great working environment. Positive attitude at work

12 hour shifts, which is industry standard. Can go from boring with nothing to do if nobody is around to fast paced and high stress very quickly. I was lucky to have some regular customers who were easy to get along with.

Fun workplace

Amazing staff always ready to lend a hand lovely customers and good atmosphere in shops long hours but can be made easy work when dealing with a great customers.

Pros

Good staff

Ok place

The job itself isn’t a very physical job, the work itself can be stressful and you need to be fast and alert 24/7. There shifts are very long and you don’t get any extra money for unsocial hours the shift is 9.30am to 9,30pm. The benefits for staff and wages are little to none there is no incentive to do extra hours as you will be expected to do them then every week.

Pros

Not very physical job, can become a deputy manager soon after entering company if your motivated

Cons

Long hours, bad wages

Growth

I’ve worked with Boylesports a number of years including leaving and coming back and the shop staff become lifelong friends and you have the good with the bad in every job some customers were incredible also. It’s a company I will miss when/if I ever leave get 40 hours done in 4 days. It’s great if you have any interest in sport

Fast Paced Fun Place To Work

Love working in boylesports not just a job but good fun with the customers and staff great opportunities to move up in your position salary is very good and always sport to watch. Usually get 3 days of a week In a row which is a big pro

Fast past and exciting

Great place to work if you’re willing to put in the effort. Great opportunities to progress but it’s not for the faint hearted. If you work hard and want to progress they will make it happen.

Plenty of scope for promotion.Fair pay, hours are grand when fully staffed. Can be a difficult when people leave and no replacement.Usually good craic with team members and the customers.

Pros

Nice colleagues good training and development

Cons

Staff shortages

Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Boylesports for 4 years, The ONLY reason I stayed as long as I did, was because I love the people I worked with everyday and have made lifelong friends. Boylesports as a company, treat their staff terribly. The pay does not equal the workload you are asked to take on, they have no regard for personal lives or mental health, you are expected to be available to work any day any where, and are punished if you don't. It's absolutely crazy how overworked the staff are, also any extra hours you work don't count towards your holiday pay, so if you are on a 24 hour contract, but average 40, you are only getting paid 24 hours holiday pay. Other problems are - breaks are unpaid, you are moved around different shops at the last minute, the rotas only get completed on thursday/friday and the week starts from sunday so you can't plan your life properly. It's also extremely unsafe. You have no screens in front of your till and no security guards, even though you're dealing with large amounts of money and often drunk and/or angry people. The shop I worked in was all only young girls and we on many occasions felt unsafe and scared working. I know every induvial shop is different, but as an overall company, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Horrible

would not recommend to anybody to work here treated like absolute dirt. Bad pay, do not stick to any covid guidelines, a lot of single manning which means no break, huge turn over of staff as they cannot train people properly or keep onto any decent staff members they have. Regionals are given orders from HQ and therefore take it out on shop managers and cashiers.

Pros

co workers

Cons

Unsociable hours, little pay

Over worked and used

Up to 12/13 hr shifts, left single manning and then deduct you a lunch hour. Used left right and centre. Regionals afraid to stick up for you. People leaving left right and centre. Pay poor and will deduct you for lunch breaks even when you dont get one. You are made log that you have had one so top management think you have ...You are contacted on your day off to log that you have taken a break so it looks legal and good. A shambles of which used to be a good company .....

Pros

Nice work colleagues

Cons

Regional managers petrified of hq, Lunch hours always deducted even if single manning, Made log you had a break even if you dont, Christmas bonus a pittance, Sent to different shops miles away, No support from HR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BoyleSports. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement