Clarion Hotel by Choice Hotels

Clarion Hotel by Choice Hotels Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere to work in but employees are expected to work above and beyond for minimal reward. Long hours and multiple 6 day stretches where you're required to work 8,10,12 + hours.
Pros
free food
Cons
management gap
Its been a few years since I worked for Clarion, but I did enjoy it and it provided me with the experience and skills I needed to advance my carreer in hospitality.
A good place to work. The people that worked there when i was there weren't professional. Especially management. The manager got fired for stealing.
Pros
U can get your requested time off
Cons
U never knew when you were getting off
Not the best place to work. Managers sucked and the establishment was kinda gross. I worked in the Ramsey tavern to be a bartender and was refused any kind of training behind the bar. The customers were entitled and rude and the Manager wouldn’t let me work any tables either. The cooks were cool, and some of the janitors were cool but clearly everyone there hated their job.
Pros
Some of the banquet staff was cool and the guys that helped out with setting up.
Cons
No breaks, no business
Used to be great when it was a different hotel, switched to Clarion and the owners didn't know what they were doing. They fired every seasoned manager so we all did our best to pick up the slack, without the help or acknowledgement of the new owners. We were underpaid, overworked, and told to hide certain things from guests, such as bed bugs, no hot water, heating/cooling issues in rooms and told to sell them anyway until someone complains..then we were the ones to deal with that too. At least it showed me what to notice when it comes to booking a hotel personally.
Pros
Coworkers were nice, tried hard
Cons
Owners, cheap, filthy, no work/life balance
I loved working for this company. I learned alot more management skills. And great benefits and great rewards. If I didn't have to move. I'd still be working for them.
Cons
It is great to work as front desk manager in summer if looking to make extra bucks in summer. Also, the hotel is only busy on weekends so employees can do their work on weekdays.
Training module was very helpful. The owners treat their employees with kindness and respect. I learned quite a lot of accounting skills and proper procedure of auditing. The company has great friends and family benefits.
Pros
Use of the Gym and sauna for free
Cons
Healthcare is expensive
Too much favortismDoesn't matter how hard you work they have their favorites.And only smokers get a break if you don't smoke you don't get a break
I came in as a housekeeper, was promoted to inspector and then asked to train at the front desk. I have always appreciated the opportunities they gave me. And now I live in another state and actually have become a hotel GM. If it weren’t for the kind management who took a chance on me I wouldn’t be where I am today. At the Clarion I worked with good people who worked hard everyday and the company fed us lunch everyday -which not only feeds the body but feeds team spirit. Thank you Clarion!!!
Pros
Growth opportunities, good management, free lunch
Cons
Was not allowed to sit while working shift at the front desk
The general place had a weird vibe to it, everyone was nice but it seemed like a cover-up for everything there being under-the-table, and I didn’t even know what position each staff member had, nor was I given a schedule. AT ALL. People were extremely difficult to get into contact with and when I was able to do so, I was asked to come in an hour beforehand. Unprofessional.
Pros
Seemed to have a flexible schedule but I wouldn’t know.
Cons
Literally everything else.
I have worked at this hotel for over 7 years. The property has undergone three brand name changed during that time and had 3 different owners. I have had close to a dozen GMs and probably trained over 50 new hires. Turnover is high but this is normal for the hospitality business. I liked the job and did it well so they kept me throughout all the changes. Clarion is the best of the three brands I worked under. They offer health care, even though it isn't that great and once you pay the monthly fee half your paycheck will be gone, at least It's offered. They give raises (other two brands did not) even though my last raise was 25¢. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the work life balance and low stress environment and because my spouse is the bread winner I just needed a job to pay my personal bills. Frontdesk work is good for a bit but not as a career if you're looking to climb any metaphorical ladders.
Pros
Great GM, healthcare options, Pto, sick leave, low stress environment (most of the time).
Cons
Work all holidays & weekends, schedule can vary wildly, high turnover (same as any average hotel).
Loved my time working here. Enjoyed the other co-workers. Clean hotel, pretty decent rooms. pool is huge and great staff. I enjoyed the time i worked there and
Just like all franchises every place is different, but my managers were always fair but expected honesty and commitment to showing up in return. Hotel desk work is not hard, and there's often downtime, so take time to ask questions if you don't understand. Choice Hotels has an extensive training library so you have plenty of resources. Show up for your shift--too many people just no show and expect understanding. And lastly, sign people up for the rewards program!! You get points in your own employee Choice Hotels account for every sign up, and they quickly build up into 25 dollar gift cards if you ask everyone to sign up. I was paying for my groceries all summer with those gift cards.
Pros
management, employee signup bonuses
Cons
downtime and dealing with customers, but you'd have that anywhere
The owners of my property did nice things for us for the holidays, but they were over all bad people. Very rude and stuck up. System was easy enough I suppose.
Pros
Holiday dinners, fairly steady work
Cons
Bad owners Low pay
This is why they have a huge turn over at that company because they are losing good help but keeping bad help they have their favorites plus the breakfast sucks you need to go look for yourself seriously
Pros
Gursts
Cons
The management are great people to work with and to work for. The hours vary depending on the job and the events occurring but nevertheless if have an emergency occurring in your life there will always be a way for time off. To be continued...
Good work, long hours, fair pay. It's a good job for just starting your food and beverage career. Benefits are lacking, but may have changed now. Good crew to workWith.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Not a company that you can grow with. Not Professional at all. There is much room for improvement. If they treated the people that keeps their hotel running better and paid them more they would be a better business..
The manager at the time was hiring me for an executive position and never even gave me the things I need to even be in the position then later denied me for the position I was hired for. I moved to a much bigger hotel company and gained the position and the necessary tools to be an executive.
Pros
Cons
Bad environment to work in
Management as well as the owner do not care about the staff. You work 2 different job descriptions that are different in pay, but only receive the one.