Clarks

Clarks Employee Reviews

Ireland23 reviews

Found 23 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,746 reviews

Productive and Sales Target

Clarks is a good company to work if your a full time students who’s looking for a part time. The hours can be flexible for students especially the fact that there’s no full time hours for staffs except managers

Pros

Team work. You get along well with other staff members as they’re there to help and support you.

Cons

Feel pressured to reach Sales Target, A bit of pressure from the kids section especially back to school.

Good company , look after their staff , great bonus , incentives , salary

Highly reccomend .Great company to work for , great money , great bonus , good incentives , treat staff well , management very approachable & helpfull . Good communication with management & head office . Very good staff training programme .

Pros

Great incentives & bonus

Cons

Very fair to evertone regarding hours, time off, holidays

Productive and fun workplace

You have to hit a certain amount of sales a day and can become competitive , have good customer service skills, and stand on your feet all day.

Fun workplace

I loved working in clarks only because of my fellow sale associates. Management picked their favourites and had no problem making everyone aware of who that favourite was e.g getting time off. The work life and social life balance was horrible in this job as you have to request a day off a month in advance which does not work for most times you need a day off. Some members of Management did not know how to treat staff members and were very rude towards them. The only pro to this job was the people I worked along side. Management expect you to do kids fittings in 5 minutes even though slots are usually 15 minutes when booking appointments and it is very difficult to do that when parents let kids run wild within the store. I feel there was too much stress in this job that didn't need to be there due to how target driven the job is. If you were not green for the week you were questioned as to why and if it happened multiple weeks you were put on a 'report" that a manager had to fill out every shift you were in for that week. They expect too much from you for such little money.

Pay rate doesn't match difficulty of work

I worked in Clarks on Grafton Street for a couple months, and didn't have a very good experience. You are given targets to reach, often over €1000 in a 7 hour shift , but you are not given any incentives, commission, or benefits for reaching these targets, unlike in other sales based retail environments. Most of the staff were lovely, but management was horrible and uncooperative. I had booked holidays months in advance and was the rostered in for that week. When I told management, they informed me that they expected me to find cover for my shifts myself, even though I had the week booked off far before they made the schedule. The customers can often be very fussy and rude, expecting you to wait on them hand and foot. For minimum wage there are many easier and more enjoyable jobs you could apply for.

Boring job, management is not great and store targets are too high.

Issues with management and with the company setting targets way too high for the footfall in the store. The job pays minimum wage, but expects more than what is worth it for this payment level.

Good for students

I worked with lovely people in Clarks, however they’re very target driven and often will criticise you for not meeting sales targets when you’re told not to leave the kids department, where the shoes are less expensive and sales take longer. You also were told to have a kids shoe fit and sale in 5 minutes - just not possible when parents leave kids to run wild and treat you like a babysitter. Management wasn’t great, and seemed to pick and choose favourites. I frequently would request holidays and have them approved only to find I was then working on my approved holiday, or I would be scheduled to work whilst I had a class despite having informed them I had college. They frequently would block of weeks of a year where staff couldn’t take time off, yet the managers would go on holiday. I also frequently was asked to stay longer on shifts, even after explaining it wasn’t possible for me, as they don’t have to pay you for an additional 15 minutes work. Often they wouldn’t have enough staff in, meaning you had to do more work to cover. Pay was minimum wage, with pay and a quarter on Sundays.

Enjoyed my time working here. Had to leave for travel and time issues. The management is friendly. Everyone has equal opportunity. Working hours are flexible. Training courses are provided online. I worked mainly in kids and women section. It was very good experience being my first part time employment in dublin. The managers and colleagues always helped me with any problems I had as a beginner.

Challenging, good experience yet underpaid

Working at Clarke’s gives you really good experience in both sales and working in customer service. The atmosphere is friendly and pleasant. The downside is that the pay is minimum wage for a job that expects a lot from you and constantly reviews your selling behaviours. There is also barely any opportunities to advance in your career unless you want to work full time.

Pros

Free seasonal shoes 33% discount on all stock incl sale

Cons

Minimum wage although high expectations put on you to reach sales targets, no commission or incentives

Challenging but rewarding

Working in Clarks for the last 3 years I have gained amazing experience. The job is challenging - it’s for someone who is good at selling and extremely social. However, the rate of pay for sales employees is too low for what is expected (meeting targets and KPI’s). Sales team should be paid more or make commission to encourage them to meet sales targets. It’s a more challenging retail job, however the experience you receive working there and the training I had when I started was incredible. (The training has gotten worse since due to lack of time and resources for team leaders).However, the job is extremely inflexible. If you want a day off you have to request around a month in advance and management also ask why which is none of their business. You are expected to be fully flexible Monday-Sunday which means there isn’t a great work/life balance. You also have to book holidays a year in advance which is ridiculous. Rosters are also given about 2 days before the commencing week which makes it impossible to make plans when you can’t get days off.Since the company has been taken over, it’s become quite stressful and they are expecting full flexibility from all staff members regardless of their contract hours which is a ridiculous request considering most of the store contacts are 8/12 hours and the staff is mostly made up of college students.In saying this, you will never get better job experience. What I learned in Clarks will be valuable no matter which career I find myself in. The pay for team leaders is amazing and definitely reflects what is expected of you. This was -

Pros

Great training, good discount, excellent experience.

Cons

Poor flexibility, high pressure, poor pay for sales assistants.

Stressful environment, tolerates bullying from management

Management are a disgrace. Bully several staff and get away with it. Store and assistant manager do nothing and rely on supervisors to do all the work for them. Area manager is well aware of how staff are treated by management and ignores it.

Pros

Cons

Subject to bullying, expected to start early and stay late (unpaid) treated horribly.

Fun Workplace

I enjoyed working in Clarks Shoe Shop on my summer holidays, it was a nice place to work and all the staff were very nice. It was a very busy shop to work in but I gained lots of experience from it.

Mean Manager Assistants

Everything was nice at the start. But then after a while the lead staffs started to bully. They would criticise my errors in front of customers embarrasing me on many occasions. Instead of making sales i was told to clean all the shelves in the store then I would be asked why I didnt make much sales during the day/week. They treated me badly and my colleauges even noticed it. The pay was really good but they cared more for sales than the workers. One time I had stomach cramps and was told to come and work anyways and I could not work to my best that day. I asked for Sunday's off but they stopped after 3 weeks and continuosly gave me Sunday's although I specifically requested Sunday's off. It wasn't the best work environment because you would be told off if your not seen being busy even if there were no customers and the area was tidy.

Pros

Discounts and Pay

Cons

Mean staff leaders

Everday is different

A great place to work which invests so much time and effort into training. Not just training their new staff but also seasoned members who have been there for years will all get refreshers. It's a great environment.

Excellent

A typical day at work was busy but fun! Everyone who worked in Clarks Dundrum were friendly and helpful. I learned many things, but I mainly got to improve on my customer service skills. I learned how to measure children's feet correctly and in a professional manner. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unfriendly customers but the most enjoyable was dealing with all the friendly customers!

Pros

Good pay, worked weekends

Fast paced and enjoyable workplace

My job mainly included approaching customers and assessing their needs in a competitive and fast paced environment. I have gained a lot of knowledge about customer care and how to overcome objections. I thouroughly enjoyed working as part of a team but can also act on my own initiative

Awful company to work for

I worked for Clarks for almost a year. I found them to be quite unprofessional in many ways. They would make workers start about 15 minutes early for their start up meetings and up to 30 minutes after their shift and not receive any pay or incentives for working extra. The would also try to include staff meetings (groups or individuals outside of working hours) to suit themselves. It was the first time I had seen this kind of system in a job which is unethical and unfair. I found them to be very unhelpful at times with hours. There was a couple of times I asked to start earlier so that I could finish earlier to tend to matters at home which would have made no difference whatsoever to the business however they were unhelpful and only wanted to suit themselves. The management were particularly bad, the store manager worked only 20 hours per week where as the assistant manager worked 6 to 7 days most weeks and ran the shop while the store manager had trouble with simple tasks while the assistant was out. On a couple of occasions another employee with whom i worked with had been screamed at, abused, given no help when needed, shouted at and on one occasion a manager threw a shoe out at them out of anger. The list could go on but I highly recommend avoiding working for the company. Or not buying their highly overpriced products.

Pros

Hard to find any

Cons

hard to get by on hours given

Lovely job

i loved being employed by clarks wonderful cooperative people and helped me every step to improve my sales and enjoy my time the only thing i had a problem with was my working hours i got on average 12 hours a week if that maximum i have gotten was 20 and that was a once off and each shift was late night or evening which ruined any chance of a social life over summer

Pros

high wage and lovely staff

Cons

short hours maximum 20 hours a week

management

Learned to manage people and use my skills in different ways with many people. Every day was a challenge and new experience.

Good people

I never really settled in working there but a bunch of great people. I did not like the targets set I thought they weremto high and hard to reach

Clarks shoes

Clarks is a traditional company which focus on everyday targets. They have what they call a start p meeting every start of shift which is good to motivate and get the people who are starting on the day update on how the day has been or is going to look like. They also focus on delivering excellent costumer service and treating every costumer as a VIP.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarks. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Clarks with

• Clarks
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?