Cork Life Centre

Cork Life Centre Employee Reviews

Ireland3 reviews
While this centre works on volunteer work only, its mission (to give young people a second chance to achieve their leaving cert) should become a mainstream option for school.

Teenagers and young adults learn much faster and more efficiently when working through the contents with a tutor, rather than in a lecture-style, classroom setting. Each person is valued and treated as an individual. This is what the world needs, because it develops creative problem solvers rather than passive listeners.

I am hoping that the Irish Education Board will see fit at some point to fund this centre and others like it, so that this becomes a viable, dynamic alternative for people in education, to the mainstream school system.

The general atmosphere is one of positive work ethic, empowerment, and appreciation. I love working there.
Pros
Making a Real Difference! Positive work atmosphere
Cons
Volunteers only - no income
I worked in the Cork Life Centre as part of my final year college placement for three months. I can honestly say it was the best experience of my college placements.

The staff were incredibly helpful and understanding, the work they do is second to none and majority of the work is on a voluntary and public funded basis, The Life Centre relies on the donations of a variety of charities around Cork City County.

During my time in the Life Centre in Cork I worked with a number of students on a one-one basis teaching them a variety of subjects from History, English, Maths, Computers, CSPE etc. These students left mainstream education for a variety of reasons, educational disadvantage, personal/family problems, learning difficulties etc.

I found the work incredibly rewarding and loved working with each student individually, learning about their background and how best to help them get through whatever issue they were experiencing. Helping them to gain an education and sit their exams even when mainstream education failed them.
Pros
Working with students one-one, getting to know each student on an individual basis, incredibly rewarding
Cons
Can be challenging in a number of ways, difficult to see some f the situations these students are facing in their lives
A typical day at work is tutoring students on a 1:1 basis English, History, CSPE and Geography while focusing on their personal and social development. I learned a lot from my managers and team about youth work.
Pros
Free lunches and it was great working with the youths.
Cons
It was voluntary
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cork Life Centre. Our community is ready to answer.
Cork Life Centre Reviews by Job Title