Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Found 49 reviews matching the search See all 2,229 reviews
The worst place I have worked
Barista (Former Employee) –  Shankill, County Dublin22 February 2020
I would definitely not recommend working at Costa as the negatives definitely weigh out the positives. The shifts are very long, with the smallest break (If working a 9 hour shift, you get a 30 minute break). There is too much work overload on each individual, which means it's a constant stressful environment. It is usually understaffed (at least where I worked) due to management wanting to cut hours constantly. The salary is minimum wage which is ridiculous for the amount of work one person does in a day. The work environment is constantly negative, with higher management constantly criticizing our work, saying we are not upselling enough (i.e.charging the customer and extra €1.80 for cream, marshmallows and flake on a hot chocolate etc.) and following their ridiculous standards. There is no recognition when we do a good job, it is constantly negative, with no "well done" or "good job". The only thing that got me through this job for so long were the colleagues I worked with and the barista experience I got. Apart from that there's nothing else positive to say. If you're the type of person that handles stress very very well and doesn't mind being underpaid and overworked, go for it, but If you're not, then id say it's not worth your while.
Pros
Free drinks, barista experience
Cons
Long hours, Terrible salary, constantly criticized
Keeping the customers happy
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ashford, County Wicklow21 February 2020
It has been the time working at costa . Getting to deal with different people and getting educated in how to deal with different characters in a day and learn how to do the perfect coffee andsatisfying their needs
Pros
You get to learn how to problem solve and work with people with different cultures
Cons
Anything wrong that happens everyone of the team is responsible
Horrendous
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cavan22 January 2020
Management couldn’t speak/write proper English, constantly raised voice In front of customers, deep rooted favoritism, false advertising for barista job when half the staff were only cleaners
Bad management and favouritism
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 January 2020
I was made team leader after 2 months and was given very little training. I got all the closing shifts despite requesting some morning or mid-day shifts. Other team leaders got days and hours they wanted, I got whatever was left over. I always did Sundays opening and closing. Manager and other team leaders never did Sundays. I was asked to come in on days I had specifically booked off. Some team members are treated much better than others regardless of work ethic.

Store managers and area managers are all friends so complaints get you nowhere. If a manager doesn't like you they will give you less hours or purposely give you difficult hours.

Only a 30min break is given for a 9 and a half hour shift. After that you get an extra 15 minutes.

Customers can speak to you any way they please no matter how rude or degrading, the manager will not defend you.

I would never work for Costa again.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Everything else
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Applegreen M1 Lusk North27 November 2019
Good fast paced job, stressful at times but with right staff work was enjoyable. from taking orders to counting till and delivering great coffee, there was a lot to do but was enjoyable overall.
Fun, fast paced job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dundalk Ireland8 November 2019
I loved working in Costa,it was very dace paced an allergenic place to work.It was constantly growing and getting bigger and bigger every year and that was fun to be part of i loved interacting with old and new customers every day. Training all new staff,
Not bad
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tallaght Area and Citywest27 October 2019
I personally think that working is such a place like Costa should include a longer term break and more wedges than they are currently paying,
Many thanks
Pros
No free items
Cons
Pretty good hours
Pleased
Barista (Current Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois7 September 2019
Glad and happy with all the work I’m doing. Learning new things and opportunities for better understanding. Giving myself chance to achieve more and more.
The teams are friendly and welcoming to new staff members
Barista maestro/ team leader. (Former Employee) –  Louth Town, County Louth1 September 2019
Costa only pay minimum wage.. No matter how long you work for them unless you want to move up to team leader which gives you so much extra work for the small salary they give you.. The day to day team you hope its a good team at working or one person is left to do all the work. Its great to chat and have bants with your team. Your made as team leader to motivate the team for git money and no reward. Cleaning is huge, which is expected but hopefully you work witg clean people Would not go back to work for this company ever. If your polish youbwill do well as most of the area managers and head office has a polish team with them always.. Its great for chatting with new people and meeting people if your not flat out busy without breakd at times. Customers was the best thing about this job.
Friendly place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ballina, County Mayo1 September 2019
Honestly love working in this place, amazing team fun positive attitude. Lovely regulars who you really get to know. Excellent experience to learn business structure and brand standard. Management changes often however if you stay out of the drama you will be happy. Fair breaks. Discounted food and free drinks, only issue is monthly pay which can be a struggle. But over all very good experience and if you are willing to learn and work in a busy environment it is the place for you 😊
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Monthly pay
Wouldn't recommend anyone to work here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath22 August 2019
Staff are overworked and underpaid. Lunch breaks are minimal. Work 8-9 hour shifts with only 30 minutes break, which is badly needed as you are running around on your feet all day (no idea how they are getting away with doing this). Prices are continuously going up, but no increases in staff's wages. Full-time staff don't receive any extra wages on a Sunday. Constantly being told to cut staff's hours where possible. Lack of professionalism when communicating with certain employees at head office. Would not recommend anyone to work here as you'll be worked to the bone with little to show for it.
I would not recommened working here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Longford4 August 2019
I hated working here the staff wore nasty and rude to customers no proper Health and safety followed no customer care followed the place is a disgust best thing I did was to leave
Lovely place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare13 July 2019
Fun fast paced and lively place to work . Managers were always helpfull kind and knew how to do their job . Extra hours always available if needed and also super understanding in areas such as your needs while pregnant and take safety quite serious :)
Pros
Helpfull management and team members, comunication, need a day off you will get it
Cons
Wages could be beter
job
Barista/shift runner (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare30 June 2019
great for a starter job if you want a great team there is no better then the mates you will make in costa a warm and friendly team in a fast enviroment
Warm friendly and comfortable woekplace
Assistant barista (Former Employee) –  Ennis, County Clare21 June 2019
Costa Coffee is a friendly warm and relaxing cafe beautiful atmosphere to catch up with friends and family for the best cup of coffee in town served by the most amazing and friendly staff always willing to satisfy the customers that's why they have so many regular customers come back in for coffee day after day highly recommend it worked there over the busy Christmas period and couldn't have worked with nicer people
Pros
Discount o lunch
Cons
Sometimes long days on your feet
Bad environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Galway19 June 2019
Work can be stressful at times but nothing serious. Great co-workers. Management is horrible, no respect for workers, they rather if you fear them, bullying is normal. Complains won't change anything, if manager doesnt like you they will give you 3h per week. I don't recommend anyone to work here, there is a reason why they are always looking for staff.
Pros
Free coffee, great co-workers
Cons
Horrible management, monthly pay
Work For Them They’ll Work For You
Barista (Current Employee) –  County Wexford28 May 2019
Probably depends on the management of the particular costa you work at but the site I work at is such a great team. So flexible helps you work around life commitments. A good reliable, flexible job and decent pay relevant to the job description. Always there for holidays and days off. I would not rate upper management however such as area managers ect. Would definitely say it’s down to your particular store manager / tl’s. Perfect for people with kids, students. Very laid back place to work where you can do your job to your very best ability in peace. Nobody constantly watching you like some jobs in this industry.
Pros
Free drinks even off shift 50% off food
Cons
Only one I can think of is monthly pay
Would not tell anyone to work here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Galway18 April 2019
The pay is terrible for the work you put in and there is no appreciation for the work that you do. Formal complaints given to management are ignored and let managers get away with anything and everything. The staff were nice to work with. If you do anything wrong or say something the manager doesnt like they can cut your hours down to 3 a week which can happen quite a lot. It is quite difficult getting paid monthly also. And all the customers complain about how expensive it is when there is NOTHING you can do about it.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No appreciation
Disgraceful (current employee)
Barista/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Kildare13 April 2019
You can expect to constantly be rang and texted on your days off, looking for you to pull extra shifts. You could work way more than your contract, with overtime wage being non-existent.
The appliances and equipment constantly breaks and nobody in management seems to care.

Also, be expected to work very long hours with only 30 mins unpaid break.
Depending on the store, training is either great or non-existent so good luck with that coin flip. Management can also be very condescending.

Also if you do manage to scrape past minimum wage and become a full timer or team leader, then you'll have to beg and chase for even the slightest raise in salary. I knew someone who had worked 11 years and was still on less than 11e an hour despite their experience.
Pros
Free drinks & half price food
Cons
Any issue or query is met with "if you dont like it, get out)
hard work
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 March 2019
Sometimes can be chalenging to keep uo with they standards and new promotions. quite demanding work, you have to be strong to stay all day on feet and still smile

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costa Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.