Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Found 64 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,528 reviews

It's okay if you want to get experience

Overall this job is great for gaining experience as a barista but I would not do it long term. Depending on the Costa that you work in it can be very quiet or extremely busy. I happened to work in one of the busiest ones and it was, at times, very stressful. I would say 50% of the job is cleaning or doing dishes, especially if you are closing. Long hours are very tiring as you are running around on your feet all day. You only get an unpaid 30 min break for a ten hour shift which is ridiculous. The pay stays the same no matter how long you work there which means their turnover is extremely high and they are always looking to hire. Team leaders earn some cents extra for doing an awful lot of work. Appliances can be broken for months and management doesn't seem to care. Overall the company is very stingy and tries to squeeze as much money as they can out of the customer but none of it comes back to the employees. I would work here to get experience as they do train you in everything but not long term.

Pros

Free coffee and 50% off food while on shift

Cons

Unpaid breaks, tiring long shifts

Underpaid and overworked

If salaried you will go often be expected to go over contracted hours to suit the stores needs and you will not be paid for them or get them back. Unrealistic targets to hit, constantly understaffed and just expected to work harder and get on with it and do the job of 3-4 people. No time to clean, made feel like you can’t call out sick. Company is greedy and out profit over staff everytime

Terrible place

Probably the lowest place to work in. Poor management, negative culture, low service. Actually the service is at such a low level that it is embarrasing. Most of the stores managers does not speak properly english and if there is any complaints from customers or some difficulties it is so stressful because store managers are not able to communicate with customers.Most of the time I felt embarrasment to work in Costa Coffee. Also they treat their staff very poorly. There is no any bonuses, not even free sandwiches, unpaid breaks, minimum wage and there is no any respect from head managers. Literally such a negative, degrading place to work in.

Okay job for a first job

Let me say that unless you have a close friend in costa.. you will not learn how to make coffee.Don’t even bother applying to Costa if you want to become an expert barista. Over 1.5 years I worked there I went on the coffee machine a few times and finally.. only in my last month of working, I started going more. It’s insane how the head office AND the regional managers don’t care about you!!!!I know I’m not alone on this as my old coworkers were the same.A lot of favouritism is involved. You will be working there for 1.5+ years but someone who just started 4 months ago will go behind the till or make coffee. The company uses you for their own profit; sell, clear the tables, keep the place tidy, boost extras, covid care - all for minimum wage!I got tips maybe 3/4 times during my whole time there? All that hard work and where does it go!I feel like this is a job just to keep you financially going. And in fact I do not recommend it. Just from my experience. Maybe there are better Costa stores out there but I’m never going to forget the stress and anxiety I had while working there.

Pros

Discount, coffee

Cons

No training from head office provided at all.

Good for experience, hard to stay in

Good for getting entry level barista experience, I was hired in with no experience and taught all aspects of the job. Experienced older members were helpful and taught the role well. High customer turnover means you have to learn to make coffees quickly, but my store wasn't too busy compared to other Costas so it can be an especially good for learning in a semi-quiet store.Pros: Staff were lovely, I made good friends there and people were always friendly and nice to work with. Despite the stressful work environment there was almost no drama among the baristas, people were emotionally supportive when needed and problems could be sorted out very quickly. Good place for making friends too.Reliable opening/closing hours meant I always had the evenings free. Weekly rosters were given, but sometimes they wouldn't be updated until the day before the new week started.Cons: Repetitive tasks. Work was shared out and people took turns on different jobs, but they still got old very fast.Terrible management added unnecessary stress to all aspects of the job. You would get given out to regularly, staff meetings and 1-1s always turned into screaming matches, with little to no praise given. You would find yourself monitoring your superiors' moods, and if they were having a bad day it was almost guaranteed it would be taken out on someone.One day I checked the next week's roster and found I only had one shift (before that, I had worked 3 days a week consistently, going up to 4 or 6 during times of high staff turnover). Speaking to management about it didn't help, my concerns were dismissed -

Pros

Barista training without experience required going in, very friendly team who work together well, evenings free due to opening hours

Cons

Repetitive tasks, unnecessary stress caused by management, no security with employment or hours

Team leader

I believe not all Costas are bad, but this one in particular (Northwood, Gullivers park) is.Everyone is overworked and not appropriately trained.The coffee shop is the filthy back of the house and the bar.Working there, I know I would never come back to have a drink or even eat there based on the health and safety issues.They can't keep staff due to poor management, and the way staff is treated.An extremely stressful environment that's constantly understaffed due to more employees quitting than they can hire.

Pros

Tips

Cons

Long hours, stressful environment

Exploitative and toxic work place

Too much work for very little compensation. You are expected to work long hours where every minute of your day is filled with physically demanding work and it never gets recognised. The standards are ridiculously high and they never stop adding more rules. It's all about meeting their business goals at all costs. They treat you like you are not a human being with needs but a robot that never gets tired. And of course you are expected to smile to customers and act like everything is ok. There were times when I had to close the shop at 10pm, even stay longer on stock count days and then open the store at 6 am the next day. You don't even get to sleep 8h. It would be easier if you get recognised for all your hard work, but you will never hear a nice word from the management.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

long hours, short breaks, too demanding, no recognition, ridiculous standards

Barista & team leader

Good to get in your training and get out. Would not recommend as a permanent full time job, low pay and no reward for hard work. Working with a good team is what makes the job bearable. Constantly expected to meet high standards even if your equipment/furniture given from head office does not meet those standards. Always expected to upsell and meet weekly targets with 0 reward also.

Pros

Free coffee, good basic coffee training

Cons

No overtime pay

Grand for students

If you’re a student just trying to get a bit of extra money on the weekends, its grand but would not recommend if going for full time and working to actually pay your bills

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Management wasn’t great

Too much demand for little money

Terrible place to work. They give you online training but not practical and then ask you how to do the job. They want 100% of you with minimum wage and if they can cut hours they will cut hours. No care at all for the employees.

Pros

Only free coffee

Cons

Not enough hours

Horrible and stressful place

Constantly running around the shop floor and cleaning. No benefits. Low wage. Horrible environment. Free coffee does not make up for it. Was being used to constantly clean the floor, customer and even staff toilets. Was expected to do numerous things, and close the huge shop floor all by myself in only an hour. Was given out to if I didn't make it in time. I lasted 4 months.

Worst place to work for.

Wage is minimum no matter how many years you work there, but prices goes up twice a year. Bearly get your breaks which is unpaid. Managment has no professiolism at all in their roles. More cleaners then baristas. If not finished work on time have to stay longer till finished but not getting paid for it. Staff is mistreated and it keeps changing so often. HR doesn't care about any of the issues rised. Not recommending to anybody to work there, they'll peel your skin of you.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Long shifts, unpaid over time, no payrise.

Long hours, too much work, stressful enviroment

I only took the job as a part time during covid. However my PT hours are 35 a week. The job is very stressful and thres work overload on each individual. You are pushed to sell extras however you have nothing from it. Customers are extrenely rude and manager does anything about it. Theres too many impossible standards you must do and emails about what was done wrong just keep comimg. If the store target isnt met the hours are cut and staff laid off. Also after closing you have to clean everything and do everything and you usually stay 20mins longer which you dont get paid for. The only thing you dont do is that you dont bake the cakes. The worst job I ve ever had ! The break area is shocking and also only 30mins break on 8,5-9h shift.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Lack of breaks, low pay, long hours, no flexibility

Nice people work for costa but are treated poorly

The only real positive I had was the people I worked with. Other than that You are on a terrible 3 hour contract and if you are very good at your job and work hard you are not rewarded. I was up for team leader 2 times in my year there and was passed up and when I requested a better full time contract they refused. You would worry constantly if you would get enough hours to afford your rent. Also you are always paid monthly regardless of your hours or position. Part-time or manager which I found ridiculous. Upper management are Overly strict on how the store is run and would micro manage every single detail. No creativity aloud. Managers have to run absolutely everything by head office and makes getting anything done frustrating and demeaning. I would not recommend anyone to work for them as they simply do not care about their employees one bit.

Poor management/conflict

I worked in cost coffee for 2 years and I wish I left sooner. Where I was anyway it wasn’t good and the head office take no action what so ever on anything happening in the store. Don’t let a manager step all over you when half of the costa coffee managers don’t even know how to make coffee.

The manager was nice and and helpfully

One supervisor abusing his authority, just when I started, 2 weeks and I did to send my resignation because was impossible worked with her, the rest of the team was ok.

The worst place I have worked

I would definitely not recommend working at Costa as the negatives definitely weigh out the positives. The shifts are very long, with the smallest break (If working a 9 hour shift, you get a 30 minute break). There is too much work overload on each individual, which means it's a constant stressful environment. It is usually understaffed (at least where I worked) due to management wanting to cut hours constantly. The salary is minimum wage which is ridiculous for the amount of work one person does in a day. The work environment is constantly negative, with higher management constantly criticizing our work, saying we are not upselling enough (i.e.charging the customer and extra €1.80 for cream, marshmallows and flake on a hot chocolate etc.) and following their ridiculous standards. There is no recognition when we do a good job, it is constantly negative, with no "well done" or "good job". The only thing that got me through this job for so long were the colleagues I worked with and the barista experience I got. Apart from that there's nothing else positive to say. If you're the type of person that handles stress very very well and doesn't mind being underpaid and overworked, go for it, but If you're not, then id say it's not worth your while.

Pros

Free drinks, barista experience

Cons

Long hours, Terrible salary, constantly criticized

Keeping the customers happy

It has been the time working at costa . Getting to deal with different people and getting educated in how to deal with different characters in a day and learn how to do the perfect coffee andsatisfying their needs

Pros

You get to learn how to problem solve and work with people with different cultures

Cons

Anything wrong that happens everyone of the team is responsible

Horrendous

Management couldn’t speak/write proper English, constantly raised voice In front of customers, deep rooted favoritism, false advertising for barista job when half the staff were only cleaners

Bad management and favouritism

I was made team leader after 2 months and was given very little training. I got all the closing shifts despite requesting some morning or mid-day shifts. Other team leaders got days and hours they wanted, I got whatever was left over. I always did Sundays opening and closing. Manager and other team leaders never did Sundays. I was asked to come in on days I had specifically booked off. Some team members are treated much better than others regardless of work ethic. Store managers and area managers are all friends so complaints get you nowhere. If a manager doesn't like you they will give you less hours or purposely give you difficult hours. Only a 30min break is given for a 9 and a half hour shift. After that you get an extra 15 minutes. Customers can speak to you any way they please no matter how rude or degrading, the manager will not defend you. I would never work for Costa again.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Everything else

People & Conditions

I was very pleased to work there, I was very pleased to meet the team, they were good conditions. It was in a quite calm place, and the people were quite pleasant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costa Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement