Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Slow progression
The progression inside the company is very slow, but offers a fair stability. Depending on the time of the year the demand of work varies a lot and can be quite hard to learn what you need
My time at this work place
My time at this work place was very good the staff were very friendly and welcoming me into there team. My big tip is when working in any job when it is quite and you find that you have less things to do is to keep urself looking busy and not to stand around doing nothing. If you see anyone ask do they want help with anything.
productive and good
i really enjoyed wokring in debhamhens it was good workplace and the great employers were great i would recomend to a freind to work here unfortunitly my contract was only christmas
Pros
breaks
Cons
breaks
Ótimo local de trabalho
Restaurante descontraido e staff amigavel. Para intercambistas, ótimo local para se treinar ingles com os nativos. O único problema é que dão poucas horas por semana.
Staff are great, Managment are very poor
I enjoyed who I worked with in the Debenhams but not who I work for as I'm constantly either given false hope or straight up lied to. The managment get very big headed and have selective memory plus can do stuff thats quite frankly illegal. Hardest Part of the job is staying motivated when your pay isn't worth it and knowing that managment are only there to critize or make it seem like they're working. I will say that the staff I work with are the best part hands down, friendly and will always have your back.
Good company to work for
If you are well to work many doors will open for you, great company to work for , really focused on training so you can delivery results , would recommend debenham as employers
Do not recommend
I would not recommend working for debenhams to anyone. Management is a disgrace. No encouragement or ever anything good to say. Mistakes are picked up on I instantly but good work is never recognised.
Went downhill overtime.
I've worked with Debenhams for around 4 years not on and of during the Summer months and Winter months. When I began I really enjoyed working there the environment was ok. There were cliques of employees who have worked there for more than a few years, but with seasonal staff changing regularly it was easy to make friends. I was fully till trained when I first started, and shown the in's and outs of the company and how everything ran. The staff who are new in now in 2019 have bad training and are unsure on how to do many things in the store such as speak to customers at the till and how to do recovery on the floor. Many family members are being hired which isn't giving people outside of the work environment a chance to work with the company. Many young employees are leaving and the management is low also. The pay is monthly and the hours are based on a fixed contract. I am currently working 12 hours per week and have been asking for extra hours constantly which I am not being given, whereas new summer staff are being given them which I find completely unfair.
Pros
Understandable about holidays and request days off work.
Cons
Pay, training, hours and management.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debenhams?
I Dreaded Going to Work
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life.

-The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage.

-There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing.

-Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here.

-The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Was very productive and a very fun place to work
I worked here for a week for my lcvp work experience and it was a very fun week and I learned a lot from it for example how to specifically lay ou the shelves and how to deal with customers. The staff are very friendly. The only hard part in the job was the long hours but the friendly staff made it fly.
Pros
Lovely staff make it easier
Cons
Brilliant company to work for. I loved working there. Staff are lovely and everyone is friendly and work hard together as a team.
Very close relationships built along the way.
Good Work Environment With Excellent Managers
Although I was only hired as temporary Christmas staff I really enjoyed working in Debenhams and found it to be a great work environment. They have some fantastic managers and a great training system.
Management Stressful and Bullies
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management
welcoming and enjoyable
i found it very enjoyable and wecloming from the second i walked in the door, work was good with good hours the employees there made my week very easy and went by very quick, they also explained to me what the working life was like
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
working hours
Awful Management
The work was fairly typical of a retail job. My main criticism was with the management. They were extremely unfriendly and unapproachable. They rarely had the lunch/break schedule done out so staff often had to seek out a manager to ask to take a break. Hours were long and pay was poor. Shifts were often changed without any notice. The other staff were generally friendly. We started the job untrained and unable to use the tills, other members of staff had to guide us through it.
Pros
Easygoing environment
Nice staff to work with
I was hired to man the doors , And try to prevent stock loss. The position was good as you get to interact with customers. The downside is that you get a lot of rowdy customers which can be challenging at times. But if you keep strong and be respectful, you’ll be fine.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Some rowdy customers
Productive and fun workplace
A typical day would include taking new orders onto the shelves and organising them in order of size. I would also have to supervise the changing rooms.
Nice and helpful staff, work is relatively straight forward yet keeps you on your feet.

Overall an enjoyable job as I get to see the new fashions and styles and also channel my creativity when making new clothes displays.
Pros
Discounts on lunches
Cons
Sometimes boring
productive
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
Friendly and motivating
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff and management, the inhouse training is excellent and its a very welcoming environment, working to the best of your ability is expected but any errors a staff member makes are calmly discussed.
Pros
Discounts at Christmas and offers through the store are of benefit
Cons
Early hours
Typical retail workplace
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
Hard work for little money
my contract was temporary, for the most part it was enjoyable.. however the job description was far from what was expected and felt for the level of work required the salary didnt reflect this. My rota changed daily and without prior notice
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.