Debenhams Employee Reviews

Found 85 reviews matching the search See all 2,157 reviews
I Dreaded Going to Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackrock3 July 2019
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life.

-The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage.

-There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing.

-Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here.

-The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Was very productive and a very fun place to work
Sales Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cork4 June 2019
I worked here for a week for my lcvp work experience and it was a very fun week and I learned a lot from it for example how to specifically lay ou the shelves and how to deal with customers. The staff are very friendly. The only hard part in the job was the long hours but the friendly staff made it fly.
Pros
Lovely staff make it easier
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Limerick23 May 2019
Brilliant company to work for. I loved working there. Staff are lovely and everyone is friendly and work hard together as a team.
Very close relationships built along the way.
Good Work Environment With Excellent Managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin1 February 2019
Although I was only hired as temporary Christmas staff I really enjoyed working in Debenhams and found it to be a great work environment. They have some fantastic managers and a great training system.
Management Stressful and Bullies
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry27 January 2019
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management
welcoming and enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare23 January 2019
i found it very enjoyable and wecloming from the second i walked in the door, work was good with good hours the employees there made my week very easy and went by very quick, they also explained to me what the working life was like
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
working hours
Awful Management
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Ireland17 December 2018
The work was fairly typical of a retail job. My main criticism was with the management. They were extremely unfriendly and unapproachable. They rarely had the lunch/break schedule done out so staff often had to seek out a manager to ask to take a break. Hours were long and pay was poor. Shifts were often changed without any notice. The other staff were generally friendly. We started the job untrained and unable to use the tills, other members of staff had to guide us through it.
Pros
Easygoing environment
Nice staff to work with
Debenhams temp security (Former Employee) –  Bull ring bham4 December 2018
I was hired to man the doors , And try to prevent stock loss. The position was good as you get to interact with customers. The downside is that you get a lot of rowdy customers which can be challenging at times. But if you keep strong and be respectful, you’ll be fine.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Some rowdy customers
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry2 December 2018
A typical day would include taking new orders onto the shelves and organising them in order of size. I would also have to supervise the changing rooms.
Nice and helpful staff, work is relatively straight forward yet keeps you on your feet.
Overall an enjoyable job as I get to see the new fashions and styles and also channel my creativity when making new clothes displays.
Pros
Discounts on lunches
Cons
Sometimes boring
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick24 October 2018
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
Friendly and motivating
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork4 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff and management, the inhouse training is excellent and its a very welcoming environment, working to the best of your ability is expected but any errors a staff member makes are calmly discussed.
Pros
Discounts at Christmas and offers through the store are of benefit
Cons
Early hours
Typical retail workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 August 2018
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
Hard work for little money
Visual Display Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork6 August 2018
my contract was temporary, for the most part it was enjoyable.. however the job description was far from what was expected and felt for the level of work required the salary didnt reflect this. My rota changed daily and without prior notice
Safe and Productive workplace
Shop Assistant/Sales (Former Employee) –  Limerick26 July 2018
When I worked in Debenhams I learned how to use a cash-register and how to make the window displays properly. I also had to work a lot with people which improved my communication skills and inter-personal skills by working with customer queries.
Pros
Friendly collegues
Fun Workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway16 May 2018
Got treated like one of their own, all very kind people and fun to work with, good teamwork and communication skills in the workplacement. treats customers with a lot of respect
Pros
discount after working there for 3 months
Cons
long breaks
exciting
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare9 April 2018
i enjoyed my time at Debenhams.The people i worked with allowed me to gain knowledge of the retail environment. The training was excellent and allowed me to get to know my colleagues more also.
good place to work
food adviser (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 March 2018
friendly team , profesionnel management , lovley place to work , good traininig helpful , nice atmospher in work i learn a lot thing in debenhams like nice cosutmer service and manuel handling as well
Cons
extra hour
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare20 February 2018
I loved my work with debenhams i learned so much and the staff are amazing i highly recommend debenhams as an amazing store and amazing staff and would work there again.
Energetic but monotonous workplace
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 February 2018
As much as I enjoyed my time in Debenhams, I found the job very unchallenging thus making it boring. I found management very unorganised which often affected results in terms of sales and staff turnover. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed providing training as part of my supervisor role.
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Longer hours than wished for
nice people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 January 2018
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.