Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,510 reviews
Learned a lot about customer service, merchandising and presentation standards. Made a lot of good friends and colleagues over the time i spent there. Management were fair enough but the hours were not great. Christmas was obviously the busiest time to work there and there would be no work life balance and crazy hours. Holidays and entitlements were fair enough and the discount was very handy at times. Overall i enjoyed the time i spent there.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
work life balance not great
We found out on social media that our store was closing and we were being made redundant. Staff treated so poorly including the managers.

The people in the store made you want to go.

Too hot in summer (no air con and sweat bucket) freezing in winter (wearing fleeces)

Pressure to do store cards
Pros
Great people
Cons
No work life balance
Terrible building , sanitation was APPALLING I didn't even want to eat or take off my coat there. Staff were all rude and hated being there. No aircon in 40°C heat. Everything was broken. Management need training. Their staff need discipline. They tried to fire me when I was signed off work for being chronically ill. No privacy, constant gossiping and I wasn't even a disliked person. Save your health and mental wellbeing. Dont work there.
Cons
Just about everything
It's a very easy job and I progressed quite easily, getting a promotion within a few months. The hours are very fair and getting more hours is relatively easy. I will say it could get incredibly boring at times and the customers are the rudest customers I have encountered in my 6+ years of customer service. It's not a long term type of job in my opinion.
Pros
Relaxed, good hours, fair pay
Cons
Boring, rude customers
Friendly team and helpful staff, good communication with management
Nice company to work for with good range of products

Would like to work for Debenhams again
Great place with a fast-paced working environment. Very approachable and friendly peers to work with and great management. Also very understanding managers who are eager to make your work life balance with your everyday life
Pros
Friendly astmosphere
Cons
Sometimes overwhelming
Unfortunately this company is struggling at the moment and are in administration for the second time in a year. Until the business improves and they come out of this process I would not recommend employment with them
I had a great time at Debenhams when I was there and the atmosphere between colleagues was great which made everything a lot more enjoyable and gave me a great bit of experience in managing stock and managing time to efficiently work with care and attention to what I’m tasked to do.
Pros
Easy to get into
It was an amazing place to work, but I put that down to it closing. It was very laid back because I started working there towards the end. Staff were lovely and got on with everyone.
Pros
Independent and team work
Cons
Very big stores so you don’t get to know everyone
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Debenhams! Management were always around when needed and staff were more than friendly. Good pay for retail job aswell, only wish they had more full time hour contracts going so I could get guaranteed more hours! Other than that, fab company to work for and I miss it dearly.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debenhams?
Managers play favourites, no communication from management to staff . Pay is not worth what your expected to do, far too much negative pressure on targets.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Everything else
The whole company is corrupted! They don’t employ people who really wants to work. They never acknowledge hard working staffs.
Managers and seniors are all corrupted
Pros
Good deptmt store and staffs benefits
Cons
Managers ands seniors are not professional in their job/ duty
You have no work balance to family balance and they like you to give them 100% but they don't always give back
But saying that you do have and make Very good friends
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Some bad management
A good place to work and very supportive management. As I as working for 8 hours a days, it use to be a bit tiring on a busy day. Learned a lot of new thing which as this was my first retails job. always had the support of the management at all times.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
non
Worked at the Hull store for a few months.. All the company care about is opening accounts even if they have to bully you to do so, they refuse to pay overtime when you have to stay behind or give you time owed, no staff and they work you to the ground they also refuse to give you the holidays you need even when booked a year in advance... Working here made me physically ill
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Everything else
Worked at debenhams in a couple of departments. It was ok overall but I did feel the career progression was not very attainable and the work environment could at times be hostile. Worked really hard and was given very positive feedback both by customers and by managers in other departments but my manager seemed resentful of my having children and took a personal dislike to me which was made clmaking it hard for me to progress. Once I left and moved on to a different role I was very quickly promoted to a management role.
I really enjoyed work at Debenhams
Brilliant company to work for. I loved working there. Staff are lovely and everyone is very friendly

I was on a 12 hour contract but I done a lot of overtime

It was the best job I’ve ever had and I got great Customer Service & Retail experience from DEBENHAMS
I was there for 7 years and they push you hard. I want to stress if you don't sell the credit card they basically push you out the door. And management are not supportive.
Pros
20 percent discount
Cons
Hours. Wages. Management
Working for Debenhams was great. I worked in the cafe working my way up to Supervisor position, a lot of the time it was fast paced.
The team I had were really good fun and there was always banter and a laugh but we all worked hard too.

I have health conditions and my manager worked around me to help me manage these conditions.

Working
Pros
Good Family Unit, Understanding Manager, Regular Customers, Training available, Promotions available.
Cons
How we were made redundant. No notice. Just ended.
Whilst the employees and in store management were for the most part nice, head office and out of store management were definitely trying to get something for nothing from pretty much all employees
All the staff and management always very chatty and made you feel comfortable in the work place no one ever judged you and will have lots of friends there always there to help each other
Pros
Like one big family