Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,598 reviews
it’s a fun place to work but also always very hard working, staff are so lovely loved working here for a first proper job in sales and cashier got a great experience 💗
In store management and colleagues were great, head office are only interested how many Debenhams cards you flog which may be part of their downfall, it puts people off shopping when they have a hard sell on a card before they can pay. We didn’t get what we needed to do the job, I worked in travel money and wasn’t allowed a much needed email, head office rarely answered the phone, make any mistakes they come down on you like a ton of bricks. Had to be on call during my unpaid break as not enough staff. I could go on....
Pros
Great colleagues, 25% discount if you have the credit card
Cons
Minimum wage forever, (10p per hour extra if you ever get made senior sales, is it worth it?) Having to flog Debenhams cards, having to be totally flexible with hours, head office are no help
I worked in a 3 month contract for Debenhams and was happy there.People were friendly and everyone chipped in to help others.I’d work there again.Good luck all.
i am working in MH ALSHAYA brand DEBANHANS since 8 years ,its one onf best word wide company , its a best place to learn allot for future for new joiner
Pros
if u work in resturent
Cons
30 days
Great culture but overkill on procedures and making the company as lean as possible. Unfortunate victim to covid business closures and loss making business
Worst place I've ever worked and management was awful. You are literally just a number to them. Members of staff very clicky. Very hard to get a shift swap.
Pros
Zero pros
Cons
Unsociable hours. Have to force people into signing up to credit cards, penalised for not doing.
I got interviewed for a Christmas Temp role for 2020. I arrived on time whereas some people were late and the supervisors did not seem happy about it. The interview process was nice and easy as they asked typical retail interview questions such as what customer service means to you, a bit of information about yourself etc (people have said some of the questions on glassdoor). I was told I would have been told if I got the job by the end of the week, and was offered the job exactly one week after my interview. Unfortunately I didn't get to work here as the lockdown has come and the stores are shut but it seemed like a busy but safe environment and all the staff there are really helpful.Pay is not as great as other stores offer at this time of year but it is good enough for a student.
Pros
Easy interview
During my time at Debenhams, I had the worst experience. I was bullied by multiple managers, a lot of favouritism, no empathy for employees and a building full of asbestos. Debenhams is by far the worst place I have ever worked. The pay is bare minimum, the hours are bare minimum. When you ask for more hours/overtime you are filled with false hope and usually find the minimal hours are given to the favourites. Likewise with any career progression. A lot of staff were off sick because everyone hated working there. The managers did not care about the employees only how many account cards they could open, also the managers would spend the majority of their time watching staff on CCTV to micro manage without being on the shop floor and to make sure the staff weren’t talking. The only way you could get a staff discount was by opening a credit card (at the time) I was essentially bullied out of the job, it was the worst place to work and I’d never go back.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Managers, hours
Managers are so rude and disrespectful you are treated like dirt the store manager will not give any eye contact or even speak to you directly you are invisible.
Pros
Friendly team to work with
Cons
No respect from managers
The team I worked with were amazing, I loved my job! The Management, policies, support , pay and company as a whole I found to be poor. The pay minimum wage at best, support, recognition, flexibility and guidance were none existent !
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
It was compulsory to wear their clothes !
Minimal progression opportunities. Staff morale low as to uncertainty around future of the business. Need to be more commercial and attract a younger customer base .
I worked there for nearly 6 years and only left as made redundant during covid. I was heartbroken. I miss all the staff and most of the customers. There are a lot of good people past and present at the Bury store and would be back in a heartbeat. You are praised when you do well and they are always thinking of new ways to encourage you to do better. They are very customer focused but realise a happy team is important. Any problems are dealt with respectfully and very caring if you had personal problems which is not always the case in some companies. I would highly recommend.
Pros
Considerate, thoughtful team
Cons
Occasional late nights
The job is average.Colleagues were great to get along with, if it wasn't for them I would not have stayed as long as I did.Most of management not so great, pushing staff to get accounts constantly, and the ones that did got the most pressure to get more, was not fair and caused a lot of stress within the store.
Pros
Work life balance, discounts
Cons
Management, pay, pressure of accounts
As long as you do your job properly you are left to get on with your job but management helpful if needed too. work as a team to achieve daily requirements
Pros
Free food and drinks
Cons
Rude customers
Christmas temp job. Busy work day with some downtime at less busy times. Some existing staff would pick on the new people and shift their work into us and gossip most of the day. However, manager made me feel welcome
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Not very inviting
The management in debenhams is a joke, I was falsely accused of something and treated like a criminal after working above and beyond for them for 3 years. After they realised i had not done anything i wasn’t even apologised to. Caused me so much stress for weeks, for no reason. I also wasn’t properly trained for a role but would get shouted at when I didn’t carry it out properly due to lack of training.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Given overtime without asking
Hard to work for if your face fits you will be ok. The harder you work the less chance of promotion the less you do the better chance you have. Department manager ok store manager terrible (walks around and dont even say hi). Too many people in the wrong positions ie supervisors who shouldn't be in that position (again because the store manager likes them). Worked at Birmingham for 15 years met some great people but also the most disappointing management and company i have ever worked for. Avoid this company they dont care about the staff (no air con in summer and no heating in winter which is why so many staff wear scarf and gloves in winter on shop floor)
Pros
Brilliant customers great team (not all) pay ok
Cons
Very bad store management, rotas changed on a daily basis, pressured into working nights, expect to work over and not get paid, loose pay for being 1 minute late.
I loved working there. Everyone was lovely and i always had something to do. The pay was fair and there were benefits now and again. Sometimes there wasn't alot of staff so was alone and was quite difficult.
Pros
Lovely people
You get used to the bullying and lack of support from your managers. Wages are a joke, company was fined for under paying staff twice. Leave and days off cancelled without consultation
Pros
Cons
Expect your day off to be cancelled with consultation
Job is advertised at 30 hours but it’s on 16 hrs available when offering the job. Then as a Christmas temp I was on the till for all of my shift. The 20% off for staff can take a while to process so by the time you get it it’s actually too late. They don’t tell you your last shift or give you any notice the section manager comes up to you thanks you for your help then tells you you can take the rest of the week off on holiday and it’s cheerio the don’t give you the chance to respond .
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Very hard work, you don’t get paid enough for what you are expected to do. Managers are ok and lots of gossip goes on. Not all bad some nice people.
Pros
No pros
  1. Employee reviews