Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews in Tralee, County Kerry

Learned a lot about customer service, merchandising and presentation standards. Made a lot of good friends and colleagues over the time i spent there. Management were fair enough but the hours were not great. Christmas was obviously the busiest time to work there and there would be no work life balance and crazy hours. Holidays and entitlements were fair enough and the discount was very handy at times. Overall i enjoyed the time i spent there.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
work life balance not great
If you are well to work many doors will open for you, great company to work for , really focused on training so you can delivery results , would recommend debenham as employers
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop. In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given. The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams. Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management
A typical day would include taking new orders onto the shelves and organising them in order of size. I would also have to supervise the changing rooms. Nice and helpful staff, work is relatively straight forward yet keeps you on your feet. Overall an enjoyable job as I get to see the new fashions and styles and also channel my creativity when making new clothes displays.
Pros
Discounts on lunches
Cons
Sometimes boring
Really good company to work for. Nice and relaxed. never stressed. enjoyed my time there. Only left to follow my dream job. Managers were always fair.
Started in Tralee Branch from the transfer of Roches Stores at the time. Amazing management and staff and great bunch to work with. Well organised. I was always very busy so days went very fast. Always upbeat and positive. Good training and proceedures. A fair system for all everyone got the same treatment.
Pros
Overall very good
Cons
I enjoyed working in Debenhams. All fellow staff members were very helpful and nice. I loved the environment on the shop floor and generally enjoyed a busy day of work. The training was very good enabling me to perform well. I learned how to manage time efficiently, give the customers first preference and to obey instructions and hit objectives. The hardest part of the job was working the till on a very busy day.
Pros
extra pay on sundays
Cons
sore on feet all day
My co workers were very helpfull and friendly amongst my arrival. My manager and supervisor were very fair in the work place also.
  1. Tralee, County Kerry