Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 25 reviews matching the search See all 2,266 reviews
I Dreaded Going to Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackrock3 July 2019
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life.

-The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage.

-There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing.

-Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here.

-The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Good Work Environment With Excellent Managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin1 February 2019
Although I was only hired as temporary Christmas staff I really enjoyed working in Debenhams and found it to be a great work environment. They have some fantastic managers and a great training system.
welcoming and enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare23 January 2019
i found it very enjoyable and wecloming from the second i walked in the door, work was good with good hours the employees there made my week very easy and went by very quick, they also explained to me what the working life was like
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
working hours
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick24 October 2018
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
Typical retail workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 August 2018
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
exciting
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare9 April 2018
i enjoyed my time at Debenhams.The people i worked with allowed me to gain knowledge of the retail environment. The training was excellent and allowed me to get to know my colleagues more also.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare20 February 2018
I loved my work with debenhams i learned so much and the staff are amazing i highly recommend debenhams as an amazing store and amazing staff and would work there again.
nice people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 January 2018
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.
Friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare22 November 2017
I did a one week work experience with Debenhams in Whitewater, Newbridge. I worked independently most of the time and was asked to do different tasks from time to time. I developed my organisation skills, time management skills and communication skills as I did my work experiemce.The staff that worked there were very friendly and always helped me with any task I found difficult. There wasn't any difficult parts to the job as I was only doing small tasks. The most enjoyable part was being able to reduce the work load on the staff, it was a stressful week as they were preparing for stock take.
Pros
Being allowed to work independently.
Cons
Having to leave one task to attend the dressing rooms constantly.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 July 2017
When I first started in Debenhams I had no experience of working in retail but after a few weeks it was second nature to me thanks to the great staff and fantastic management within Debenhams.
Pros
great location
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 June 2017
A typical day in Debenhams was just like an ordinary day at work, there were barely any customers in the morning, but as the day proceeded it got busier.

I learned how to use the price marker and learned how Sales work. The hardest part of work was to stand for a long period of time. (I was allocated to the Fragrance department)
Pros
Nice staff
Friendly work enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick4 April 2017
I enjoyed working here, as it was a fun friendly working environment. From this job I have learned i have an interest in working in the retail sector. It was great getting the chance to experience the busy season of Christmas in a department store.
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin16 February 2017
I have learned from being a sales assistant you need to be confident ,you also learn new things and get to share your ideas with customers.
Lovely environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork11 February 2017
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
Working Environment
My role was a sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry23 January 2017
I enjoyed working in Debenhams. All fellow staff members were very helpful and nice. I loved the environment on the shop floor and generally enjoyed a busy day of work. The training was very good enabling me to perform well. I learned how to manage time efficiently, give the customers first preference and to obey instructions and hit objectives. The hardest part of the job was working the till on a very busy day.
Pros
extra pay on sundays
Cons
sore on feet all day
Good fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork6 October 2016
Very good work environment great place to work friendly staff. Loved working there would recommend to anyone applying to
Great Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patrick Street, Cork24 August 2016
Learned a lot there in regards to dealing with general public. My sales techniques were refined and improved on. Was the highest seller of store cards in the country.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
No job satisfaction
Enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 March 2016
To work at Debenhams was really enjoyable place... I learned how to be kind on customer service. How to serve customers at the till
How to focus when customer aren't happy
Tidy up and keep the store clean and nice
challenging and enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork City, County Cork23 February 2016
Fast pacing work environment. Mangers communicated well with employees. Lots of client interaction on a daily basis, which I enjoyed.
really enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick City Centre, County Limerick9 February 2016
i loved working in Depenhams, i only did work experience but i really enjoyed working there, the staff are so nice and the customers are really nice too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.