Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Went downhill overtime.
I've worked with Debenhams for around 4 years not on and of during the Summer months and Winter months. When I began I really enjoyed working there the environment was ok. There were cliques of employees who have worked there for more than a few years, but with seasonal staff changing regularly it was easy to make friends. I was fully till trained when I first started, and shown the in's and outs of the company and how everything ran. The staff who are new in now in 2019 have bad training and are unsure on how to do many things in the store such as speak to customers at the till and how to do recovery on the floor. Many family members are being hired which isn't giving people outside of the work environment a chance to work with the company. Many young employees are leaving and the management is low also. The pay is monthly and the hours are based on a fixed contract. I am currently working 12 hours per week and have been asking for extra hours constantly which I am not being given, whereas new summer staff are being given them which I find completely unfair.
Pros
Understandable about holidays and request days off work.
Cons
Pay, training, hours and management.
I Dreaded Going to Work
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life.

-The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage.

-There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing.

-Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here.

-The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Good Work Environment With Excellent Managers
Although I was only hired as temporary Christmas staff I really enjoyed working in Debenhams and found it to be a great work environment. They have some fantastic managers and a great training system.
welcoming and enjoyable
i found it very enjoyable and wecloming from the second i walked in the door, work was good with good hours the employees there made my week very easy and went by very quick, they also explained to me what the working life was like
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
working hours
productive
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
Typical retail workplace
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
exciting
i enjoyed my time at Debenhams.The people i worked with allowed me to gain knowledge of the retail environment. The training was excellent and allowed me to get to know my colleagues more also.
Great
I loved my work with debenhams i learned so much and the staff are amazing i highly recommend debenhams as an amazing store and amazing staff and would work there again.
nice people
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.
Friendly staff
I did a one week work experience with Debenhams in Whitewater, Newbridge. I worked independently most of the time and was asked to do different tasks from time to time. I developed my organisation skills, time management skills and communication skills as I did my work experiemce.The staff that worked there were very friendly and always helped me with any task I found difficult. There wasn't any difficult parts to the job as I was only doing small tasks. The most enjoyable part was being able to reduce the work load on the staff, it was a stressful week as they were preparing for stock take.
Pros
Being allowed to work independently.
Cons
Having to leave one task to attend the dressing rooms constantly.
When I first started in Debenhams I had no experience of working in retail but after a few weeks it was second nature to me thanks to the great staff and fantastic management within Debenhams.
Pros
great location
Fun workplace
A typical day in Debenhams was just like an ordinary day at work, there were barely any customers in the morning, but as the day proceeded it got busier.

I learned how to use the price marker and learned how Sales work. The hardest part of work was to stand for a long period of time. (I was allocated to the Fragrance department)
Pros
Nice staff
Friendly work enviroment
I enjoyed working here, as it was a fun friendly working environment. From this job I have learned i have an interest in working in the retail sector. It was great getting the chance to experience the busy season of Christmas in a department store.
Fun Workplace
I have learned from being a sales assistant you need to be confident ,you also learn new things and get to share your ideas with customers.
Lovely environment
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
Working Environment
I enjoyed working in Debenhams. All fellow staff members were very helpful and nice. I loved the environment on the shop floor and generally enjoyed a busy day of work. The training was very good enabling me to perform well. I learned how to manage time efficiently, give the customers first preference and to obey instructions and hit objectives. The hardest part of the job was working the till on a very busy day.
Pros
extra pay on sundays
Cons
sore on feet all day
Good fun
Very good work environment great place to work friendly staff. Loved working there would recommend to anyone applying to
Great Place to work
Learned a lot there in regards to dealing with general public. My sales techniques were refined and improved on. Was the highest seller of store cards in the country.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
No job satisfaction
Enjoyable workplace
To work at Debenhams was really enjoyable place... I learned how to be kind on customer service. How to serve customers at the till
How to focus when customer aren't happy

Tidy up and keep the store clean and nice
challenging and enjoyable
Fast pacing work environment. Mangers communicated well with employees. Lots of client interaction on a daily basis, which I enjoyed.
really enjoyable
i loved working in Depenhams, i only did work experience but i really enjoyed working there, the staff are so nice and the customers are really nice too.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.