Debenhams

Debenhams Job security & advancement reviews

Still haven’t got paid for my last month of work as they used COVID 19 as an excuse to pull out of Ireland and leave us all jobless with all our stuff still in there
The progression inside the company is very slow, but offers a fair stability. Depending on the time of the year the demand of work varies a lot and can be quite hard to learn what you need
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life. -The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage. -There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing. -Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here. -The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Although I was only hired as temporary Christmas staff I really enjoyed working in Debenhams and found it to be a great work environment. They have some fantastic managers and a great training system.
my contract was temporary, for the most part it was enjoyable.. however the job description was far from what was expected and felt for the level of work required the salary didnt reflect this. My rota changed daily and without prior notice
i enjoyed my time at Debenhams.The people i worked with allowed me to gain knowledge of the retail environment. The training was excellent and allowed me to get to know my colleagues more also.
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.
When I first started in Debenhams I had no experience of working in retail but after a few weeks it was second nature to me thanks to the great staff and fantastic management within Debenhams.
Pros
great location
Cons
I did different things everyday, this was actually as a work experience in fourth year and i really enjoyed it, I would recommend this to everyone looking for a job
I enjoyed working here, as it was a fun friendly working environment. From this job I have learned i have an interest in working in the retail sector. It was great getting the chance to experience the busy season of Christmas in a department store.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debenhams?
I have learned from being a sales assistant you need to be confident ,you also learn new things and get to share your ideas with customers.
Although I was employed during the busy Christmas period, working here became very repetitive and the slow pace did not help. Although it had a positive environment, it is not one I would like to pursue a long term career in.
management are understanding, workplace is productive, learned cooperative skills and time management skills. Co-workers are all nice people, no real difficulties personally with the job.
Brillent great experience of the working life . Really enjoyed my time there and meeting and greeting new people. I learnt a lot of new skills like my communation skills etc.
Pros
helped me inprove my communation skills.
Cons
9 hours a day.
In this company I have been treated amazingly. I have had fantastic training and have met some fantastic people from the beginninig of my employment.
Was great place to work. Friendly staff that were always willing to help and develop new staff. I learnt a lot during my placement
working at debenhams was an experience but unfortunately the hours weren't enough but meeting new customers was interesting i gained retail experience and cosmetic work.
Pros
Cons
not enough hours
I had a great time in debenhams as a sales assistant. my fellow staff members were always so friendly and helpful. my supervisor darragh was one of the best supervisors i have ever worked for. I would return to debenhams again if a job opportunity came up
I enjoyed working at Debenhams, I was treated well by all staff they were friendly and welcoming. I learned a lot from working here, I learned communication skills and team work. I enjoyed the retail position, the co-workers where very friendly.
I was a Sales adviser, I was in charge of maintaining the shop floors standards, a cashier, and would also help customers to shop and to be of assistance if they need it. During the Christmas period I was often left in charge of the temporary staff members and make sure they were doing what was asked. The management was really good and firm, it made me really what to further my career in retail. I love working with people and enjoy helping others. My co-workers where always more than helpful and i really enjoy working as part of a team. The hardest part of my job was during the busy periods i.e Christmas, this was a challenging experience but i really enjoyed the work load. The best part of the job for me was meeting new people and working as part of a team.
Pros
Good managment, friendly staff, many hours, flexible
Cons
Climing the ladder of management wasnt really available.
I worked on the man's department as seller. This work placement gave me more the luck to improve my English. I really enjoy it.
  1. Job Security & Advancement