Debenhams

Debenhams Management reviews

Went downhill overtime.
I've worked with Debenhams for around 4 years not on and of during the Summer months and Winter months. When I began I really enjoyed working there the environment was ok. There were cliques of employees who have worked there for more than a few years, but with seasonal staff changing regularly it was easy to make friends. I was fully till trained when I first started, and shown the in's and outs of the company and how everything ran. The staff who are new in now in 2019 have bad training and are unsure on how to do many things in the store such as speak to customers at the till and how to do recovery on the floor. Many family members are being hired which isn't giving people outside of the work environment a chance to work with the company. Many young employees are leaving and the management is low also. The pay is monthly and the hours are based on a fixed contract. I am currently working 12 hours per week and have been asking for extra hours constantly which I am not being given, whereas new summer staff are being given them which I find completely unfair.
Pros
Understandable about holidays and request days off work.
Cons
Pay, training, hours and management.
Staff are great, Managment are very poor
I enjoyed who I worked with in the Debenhams but not who I work for as I'm constantly either given false hope or straight up lied to. The managment get very big headed and have selective memory plus can do stuff thats quite frankly illegal. Hardest Part of the job is staying motivated when your pay isn't worth it and knowing that managment are only there to critize or make it seem like they're working. I will say that the staff I work with are the best part hands down, friendly and will always have your back.
Do not recommend
I would not recommend working for debenhams to anyone. Management is a disgrace. No encouragement or ever anything good to say. Mistakes are picked up on I instantly but good work is never recognised.
I Dreaded Going to Work
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life.

-The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage.

-There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing.

-Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here.

-The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
Management Stressful and Bullies
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management
Awful Management
The work was fairly typical of a retail job. My main criticism was with the management. They were extremely unfriendly and unapproachable. They rarely had the lunch/break schedule done out so staff often had to seek out a manager to ask to take a break. Hours were long and pay was poor. Shifts were often changed without any notice. The other staff were generally friendly. We started the job untrained and unable to use the tills, other members of staff had to guide us through it.
Pros
Easygoing environment
productive
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
Friendly and motivating
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff and management, the inhouse training is excellent and its a very welcoming environment, working to the best of your ability is expected but any errors a staff member makes are calmly discussed.
Pros
Discounts at Christmas and offers through the store are of benefit
Cons
Early hours
good place to work
friendly team , profesionnel management , lovley place to work , good traininig helpful , nice atmospher in work i learn a lot thing in debenhams like nice cosutmer service and manuel handling as well
Cons
extra hour
Energetic but monotonous workplace
As much as I enjoyed my time in Debenhams, I found the job very unchallenging thus making it boring. I found management very unorganised which often affected results in terms of sales and staff turnover. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed providing training as part of my supervisor role.
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Longer hours than wished for
Friendly staff
I did a one week work experience with Debenhams in Whitewater, Newbridge. I worked independently most of the time and was asked to do different tasks from time to time. I developed my organisation skills, time management skills and communication skills as I did my work experiemce.The staff that worked there were very friendly and always helped me with any task I found difficult. There wasn't any difficult parts to the job as I was only doing small tasks. The most enjoyable part was being able to reduce the work load on the staff, it was a stressful week as they were preparing for stock take.
Pros
Being allowed to work independently.
Cons
Having to leave one task to attend the dressing rooms constantly.
When I first started in Debenhams I had no experience of working in retail but after a few weeks it was second nature to me thanks to the great staff and fantastic management within Debenhams.
Pros
great location
Cons
Low pay, and so unprofessional management.
Low pay

Unprofessional management

Less weekly hours contract.

Your roster can be changed over night without you being informed, its just not a happy place to work for.

Only positive is the colleagues you work with.
Irina Egan
Whilst working in Debenhams I learned a lot about the retail trade, assessing customer's budgets and encouraging their interest in the products I was selling. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day and the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was when I made a sale. The workplace culture was pleasant and I enjoyed the interaction with other staff members. A typical day @ work was from 9.00 to 5pm.

What I learned from this experience is that I very much enjoy with people and also the challenge of retail sales.
The management were very helpful.
Pros
working in a pleasant environment
Great Workplace
Really enjoyed my time here the staff and management were friendly and helpful. Great experience and enjoyable work. would recommend working here highly..
Great overall work place
Started in Tralee Branch from the transfer of Roches Stores at the time.
Amazing management and staff and great bunch to work with.
Well organised.

I was always very busy so days went very fast.

Always upbeat and positive.

Good training and proceedures.

A fair system for all everyone got the same treatment.
Pros
Overall very good
Enjoyable experience
Debenhams was a very enjoyable place to work with friendly staff and management. I learned a lot about how how large stores engage with customers which will be very helpful moving forward.
lovely work atmosphere
Very enjoyable job, I started as a Sales advisor and worked up to Supervisor of Childrenswear, which involved organizing timetables for the staff in my department and also distribution of the work load, including merchandising the department and manning the tills. Before I left the job I had started the training program for management.
I have always enjoyed dealing with the public
Pros
Staff discount
Lovely environment
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
Busy and enjoyable
My day was always busy I would always find something to do. I learned how to deal with a lot of different situations that arose during my time in Debenhams. Learned new skills in stock management which I enjoyed, I grew in confidence when managing the floor especially when I was on my own. When working in a team I always got my staff to do their best to make the day go smoothly and get the jobs done to the best of their ability and to get the best out of each person. I never felt my job was hard as I prioritised work for each day and kept calm to get everything done. Working with my co-workers and managers was very enjoyable as I got on with everyone and I wanted to learn more to help improve my role as supervisor.
Pros
Discount and holidays
Cons
Late nights not good hours if you have a family
very good place to work and staff nice people
busy and productive but fun typical day, learned good teamwork,Management were good,co workers great, hardest part of job was the monotany of daily tasks, best part was helping customers and staff.
Pros
Discounted clothing
Cons
hours went up and down
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.