Debenhams Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 11 reviews matching the search See all 2,271 reviews
Management Stressful and Bullies
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry27 January 2019
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management
Hard work for little money
Visual Display Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork6 August 2018
my contract was temporary, for the most part it was enjoyable.. however the job description was far from what was expected and felt for the level of work required the salary didnt reflect this. My rota changed daily and without prior notice
Debanhams
Supervisor Temp (Limerick) (Former Employee) –  limerick7 October 2017
Would organize my team and make a list of tasks to be done on the day.

Dealing with complaints from customers throughout the store.

Closing the store.
Pros
good pay
Cons
last salary was not given
Ok place to work
Loss pervention (Current Employee) –  Dublin3 October 2017
Would never work for them again hours are to long and ask to do to much for the money they pay. When you work over time. They pay time in lieu. And you never get the time back.
Pros
Dicount card
Cons
Long hours and ask to do to much for the money they pay
good work place
dressing rooms assisting (Former Employee) –  Cork7 September 2017
It was a good job. It wasnt for me in terms of work. I found it very tedious. The days were long and I didnt get paid as it was work experience. I learned how to deal with customers.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Productive and energetic workplace, always something to do.
part of Christmas staff (Former Employee) –  Waterford, UK8 March 2017
Although my time in Debenhams was short, I did enjoy working there. It requires a patience, energy, good customer service and some knowledge of products. Attention to detail is a must and one must always strive to exceed customer expectation. Often a busy environment and required to perform multiple task. The biggest let-down for me was the pay. Not only was it monthly instead of weekly (preferable), I also wasn't entitled to receive ANY overtime pay until AFTER Christmas. I worked a lot of overtime. That needs to change for Christmas staff pronto. All in all, a good place to work.
Pros
Always something to do, never boring.
Cons
Often get late notice of shift changes, long hours, monthly pay.
Lovely environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork11 February 2017
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
busy but enjoyable workplace
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterford4 November 2015
it was enjoyable and the staff discount is very good. the co workers are great and very helpfull. the managment are also nice and i have never expeiernced any bad team work. the training is extensive. the only con is the hours while on christmas contract, they are not very flexible.
Pros
great staff discount
Cons
long time on your feet
Fun Workplace
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  WD10 June 2013
Debenhams was a productive place to work with adequate breaks and a great hourly rotation system. The managers were extremely fair and co workers were helpful and friendly.
Pros
Great Benefits long term
Cons
Long standing hours
good place to work
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  dublin25 October 2012
i like to work there by im only doing 12 i wish to have a job with more hours and its pay by the month witch i dont really prefer the managers and staff are lovely really nice place to work in
Pros
25% staff discount card
Cons
pay by the month