Debenhams

Debenhams Work-life balance reviews

Learned a lot about customer service, merchandising and presentation standards. Made a lot of good friends and colleagues over the time i spent there. Management were fair enough but the hours were not great. Christmas was obviously the busiest time to work there and there would be no work life balance and crazy hours. Holidays and entitlements were fair enough and the discount was very handy at times. Overall i enjoyed the time i spent there.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
work life balance not great
It was a fun and entertaining experience, the people are great to work with and I felt very comfortable working with them. The supervisors and managers were great and great help.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
The progression inside the company is very slow, but offers a fair stability. Depending on the time of the year the demand of work varies a lot and can be quite hard to learn what you need
If you are well to work many doors will open for you, great company to work for , really focused on training so you can delivery results , would recommend debenham as employers
- I had an 8 hour contract so my social life was still very much intact, they give good breaks and very manageable shifts. Thus, it was easy to balance work and life. -The way you’re paid is VERY confusing, I often worked overtime hours, but I wouldn’t be paid this overtime till the following month. Everyone who I spoke to there always regarded strange situations with not receiving the correct pay. It was a nightmare. I received minimum wage. -There’s no room for advancement, as soon as my contract ended I was done, this was true for every seasonal employee, even the best and hard workers. NO ONE was kept on. Disappointing. -Management was horrible and rude, often made nasty comments. One manager rudely mimicked an employees laugh. There was no joy working here. -The one positive thing was the employees who I made lasting friendships with.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Negative energy
I worked here for a week for my lcvp work experience and it was a very fun week and I learned a lot from it for example how to specifically lay ou the shelves and how to deal with customers. The staff are very friendly. The only hard part in the job was the long hours but the friendly staff made it fly.
Pros
Lovely staff make it easier
Cons
Brilliant company to work for. I loved working there. Staff are lovely and everyone is friendly and work hard together as a team. Very close relationships built along the way.
I was hired to man the doors , And try to prevent stock loss. The position was good as you get to interact with customers. The downside is that you get a lot of rowdy customers which can be challenging at times. But if you keep strong and be respectful, you’ll be fine.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Some rowdy customers
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
When I worked in Debenhams I learned how to use a cash-register and how to make the window displays properly. I also had to work a lot with people which improved my communication skills and inter-personal skills by working with customer queries.
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.
Would never work for them again hours are to long and ask to do to much for the money they pay. When you work over time. They pay time in lieu. And you never get the time back.
Pros
Dicount card
Cons
Long hours and ask to do to much for the money they pay
It was a good job. It wasnt for me in terms of work. I found it very tedious. The days were long and I didnt get paid as it was work experience. I learned how to deal with customers.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
When I first started in Debenhams I had no experience of working in retail but after a few weeks it was second nature to me thanks to the great staff and fantastic management within Debenhams.
Pros
great location
Cons
A typical day in Debenhams was just like an ordinary day at work, there were barely any customers in the morning, but as the day proceeded it got busier. I learned how to use the price marker and learned how Sales work. The hardest part of work was to stand for a long period of time. (I was allocated to the Fragrance department)
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Whilst working in Debenhams I learned a lot about the retail trade, assessing customer's budgets and encouraging their interest in the products I was selling. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day and the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was when I made a sale. The workplace culture was pleasant and I enjoyed the interaction with other staff members. A typical day @ work was from 9.00 to 5pm. What I learned from this experience is that I very much enjoy with people and also the challenge of retail sales. The management were very helpful.
Pros
working in a pleasant environment
Cons
Although my time in Debenhams was short, I did enjoy working there. It requires a patience, energy, good customer service and some knowledge of products. Attention to detail is a must and one must always strive to exceed customer expectation. Often a busy environment and required to perform multiple task. The biggest let-down for me was the pay. Not only was it monthly instead of weekly (preferable), I also wasn't entitled to receive ANY overtime pay until AFTER Christmas. I worked a lot of overtime. That needs to change for Christmas staff pronto. All in all, a good place to work.
Pros
Always something to do, never boring.
Cons
Often get late notice of shift changes, long hours, monthly pay.
I have learned from being a sales assistant you need to be confident ,you also learn new things and get to share your ideas with customers.
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
My day was always busy I would always find something to do. I learned how to deal with a lot of different situations that arose during my time in Debenhams. Learned new skills in stock management which I enjoyed, I grew in confidence when managing the floor especially when I was on my own. When working in a team I always got my staff to do their best to make the day go smoothly and get the jobs done to the best of their ability and to get the best out of each person. I never felt my job was hard as I prioritised work for each day and kept calm to get everything done. Working with my co-workers and managers was very enjoyable as I got on with everyone and I wanted to learn more to help improve my role as supervisor.
Pros
Discount and holidays
Cons
Late nights not good hours if you have a family
A typical day at work in Debenhams was always productive there was always something to do. I learnt about how the world of retail works and also the. My co workers were very friendly and embracing they made it easy for my to fit in. The hardest part of the job was making sure that various clothes where put in their correct places due to size and type of cloth. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with their various difficulty.
Pros
In town
Cons
the