Debenhams Employee Review
Went downhill overtime.
I've worked with Debenhams for around 4 years not on and of during the Summer months and Winter months. When I began I really enjoyed working there the environment was ok. There were cliques of employees who have worked there for more than a few years, but with seasonal staff changing regularly it was easy to make friends. I was fully till trained when I first started, and shown the in's and outs of the company and how everything ran. The staff who are new in now in 2019 have bad training and are unsure on how to do many things in the store such as speak to customers at the till and how to do recovery on the floor. Many family members are being hired which isn't giving people outside of the work environment a chance to work with the company. Many young employees are leaving and the management is low also. The pay is monthly and the hours are based on a fixed contract. I am currently working 12 hours per week and have been asking for extra hours constantly which I am not being given, whereas new summer staff are being given them which I find completely unfair.
Ratings by category
Understandable about holidays and request days off work.
Pay, training, hours and management.
Learned a lot about customer service, merchandising and presentation standards. Made a lot of good friends and colleagues over the time i spent there. Management were fair enough but the hours were not great. Christmas was obviously the busiest time to work there and there would be no work life balance and crazy hours. Holidays and entitlements were fair enough and the discount was very handy at times. Overall i enjoyed the time i spent there.
work life balance not great
Want to know more about working here?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.
Based on 2,529 reviews
Ratings by category
Questions about Debenhams
- What would you suggest Debenhams management do to prevent others from leaving?4 people answered
- What should you wear to an interview at Debenhams?3 people answered
- Why did you leave your job at Debenhams?3 people answered
- What is the dress code at Debenhams?2 people answered
- How do you feel about going to work each day at Debenhams?2 people answered
- I just want to know if you accept work experience for lcvp (around 5 days at least)2 people answered
- How long does it take to get hired from start to finish at Debenhams? What are the steps along the w…2 people answered
- How does someone get hired at Debenhams? What are the steps along the way?One person answered
- What is Debenhams sick leave policy? How many sick days do you get per year?One person answered
- How is feedback from management delivered at Debenhams?One person answered
See all questions and answers
Debenhams Reviews by Job Title
Debenhams Reviews by Location