Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Review

Management Stressful and Bullies
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry27 January 2019
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management

Other Debenhams Employee Reviews

Slow progression
Food Assistant Advisor (Former Employee) –  County Cork4 March 2020
The progression inside the company is very slow, but offers a fair stability. Depending on the time of the year the demand of work varies a lot and can be quite hard to learn what you need
My time at this work place
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin2 March 2020
My time at this work place was very good the staff were very friendly and welcoming me into there team. My big tip is when working in any job when it is quite and you find that you have less things to do is to keep urself looking busy and not to stand around doing nothing. If you see anyone ask do they want help with anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.