Debenhams Employee Review

Management Stressful and Bullies
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry27 January 2019
A typical day at work for me included constantly being rushed along by management/supervisors and over-worked whilst management and supervisors often stood around talking or went on long breaks while the rest of us had scarce breaks whilst working non-stop.

In the time that i worked there i had gotten sick in my mouth at work 2 or 3 days and was feeling very drained and dizzy. When i asked if there was anyway i could go home i was told no and was often bullied into staying even though sick people should not be at work especially when working with food! That was even in the training we had been given.

The work you do there is too much considering you get paid minimum wage and the food is extremely over-priced there. If you work 5 hours or even 5 hours 59 minutes you get a 15 minute break and if you work 6 hours you get a 30 minutes break. In that time you are supposed to eat something and take a break for yourself whilst being back at work before your break is up so you are not late. When i worked there i often went downstairs to get lunch cause the food upstairs did not appeal to me at all and i often found that i was watched and given odd looks by a certain supervisor, because i dared get my lunch from anywhere but Debenhams.

Although what i have said above is mainly negative, i can say without a doubt most of the staff i worked with were very nice and made working there okay.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, little breaks, bad management

Other Debenhams Employee Reviews

Good company to work for
companyManager (Current Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry6 December 2019
If you are well to work many doors will open for you, great company to work for , really focused on training so you can delivery results , would recommend debenham as employers
Do not recommend
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Dublin3 November 2019
I would not recommend working for debenhams to anyone. Management is a disgrace. No encouragement or ever anything good to say. Mistakes are picked up on I instantly but good work is never recognised.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.