Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Ireland100 reviews
Still haven’t got paid for my last month of work as they used COVID 19 as an excuse to pull out of Ireland and leave us all jobless with all our stuff still in there
i found it very enjoyable and wecloming from the second i walked in the door, work was good with good hours the employees there made my week very easy and went by very quick, they also explained to me what the working life was like
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
working hours
The work was fairly typical of a retail job. My main criticism was with the management. They were extremely unfriendly and unapproachable. They rarely had the lunch/break schedule done out so staff often had to seek out a manager to ask to take a break. Hours were long and pay was poor. Shifts were often changed without any notice. The other staff were generally friendly. We started the job untrained and unable to use the tills, other members of staff had to guide us through it.
Pros
Easygoing environment
Cons
I was hired to man the doors , And try to prevent stock loss. The position was good as you get to interact with customers. The downside is that you get a lot of rowdy customers which can be challenging at times. But if you keep strong and be respectful, you’ll be fine.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Some rowdy customers
A typical day would include taking new orders onto the shelves and organising them in order of size. I would also have to supervise the changing rooms.
Nice and helpful staff, work is relatively straight forward yet keeps you on your feet.

Overall an enjoyable job as I get to see the new fashions and styles and also channel my creativity when making new clothes displays.
Pros
Discounts on lunches
Cons
Sometimes boring
a typical day was dealing with the public what I learned was people skills management weren't the nicest I was only in 4th year when I worked here and they weren't friendly
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff and management, the inhouse training is excellent and its a very welcoming environment, working to the best of your ability is expected but any errors a staff member makes are calmly discussed.
Pros
Discounts at Christmas and offers through the store are of benefit
Cons
Early hours
A lot of standing on your feet. Easy to pick up. Received payment for till training. Good starting job, must be able to talk to customers regularly in a polite manner.
my contract was temporary, for the most part it was enjoyable.. however the job description was far from what was expected and felt for the level of work required the salary didnt reflect this. My rota changed daily and without prior notice
When I worked in Debenhams I learned how to use a cash-register and how to make the window displays properly. I also had to work a lot with people which improved my communication skills and inter-personal skills by working with customer queries.
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debenhams?
Got treated like one of their own, all very kind people and fun to work with, good teamwork and communication skills in the workplacement. treats customers with a lot of respect
Pros
discount after working there for 3 months
Cons
long breaks
i enjoyed my time at Debenhams.The people i worked with allowed me to gain knowledge of the retail environment. The training was excellent and allowed me to get to know my colleagues more also.
friendly team , profesionnel management , lovley place to work , good traininig helpful , nice atmospher in work i learn a lot thing in debenhams like nice cosutmer service and manuel handling as well
Cons
extra hour
I loved my work with debenhams i learned so much and the staff are amazing i highly recommend debenhams as an amazing store and amazing staff and would work there again.
As much as I enjoyed my time in Debenhams, I found the job very unchallenging thus making it boring. I found management very unorganised which often affected results in terms of sales and staff turnover. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed providing training as part of my supervisor role.
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Longer hours than wished for
Pay and advancement opportunities aren't great. Managers and other employees very nice and easy to work with. Hours can be awkward and slow environment at times.
Excellent department store with lots of variety for employees and ample opportunities to work around Family and college. Great discounts and most importantly, a great atmosphere.
Pros
Discounts and subsidized lunches.
I did a one week work experience with Debenhams in Whitewater, Newbridge. I worked independently most of the time and was asked to do different tasks from time to time. I developed my organisation skills, time management skills and communication skills as I did my work experiemce.The staff that worked there were very friendly and always helped me with any task I found difficult. There wasn't any difficult parts to the job as I was only doing small tasks. The most enjoyable part was being able to reduce the work load on the staff, it was a stressful week as they were preparing for stock take.
Pros
Being allowed to work independently.
Cons
Having to leave one task to attend the dressing rooms constantly.
Would organize my team and make a list of tasks to be done on the day.

Dealing with complaints from customers throughout the store.

Closing the store.
Pros
good pay
Cons
last salary was not given
Would never work for them again hours are to long and ask to do to much for the money they pay. When you work over time. They pay time in lieu. And you never get the time back.
Pros
Dicount card
Cons
Long hours and ask to do to much for the money they pay
It was a good job. It wasnt for me in terms of work. I found it very tedious. The days were long and I didnt get paid as it was work experience. I learned how to deal with customers.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.