Debenhams

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Slow progression
The progression inside the company is very slow, but offers a fair stability. Depending on the time of the year the demand of work varies a lot and can be quite hard to learn what you need
Friendly work enviroment
I enjoyed working here, as it was a fun friendly working environment. From this job I have learned i have an interest in working in the retail sector. It was great getting the chance to experience the busy season of Christmas in a department store.
Great overall work place
Started in Tralee Branch from the transfer of Roches Stores at the time.
Amazing management and staff and great bunch to work with.

Well organised.

I was always very busy so days went very fast.

Always upbeat and positive.

Good training and proceedures.

A fair system for all everyone got the same treatment.
Pros
Overall very good
Enjoyable experience
Debenhams was a very enjoyable place to work with friendly staff and management. I learned a lot about how how large stores engage with customers which will be very helpful moving forward.
Productive and energetic workplace, always something to do.
Although my time in Debenhams was short, I did enjoy working there. It requires a patience, energy, good customer service and some knowledge of products. Attention to detail is a must and one must always strive to exceed customer expectation. Often a busy environment and required to perform multiple task. The biggest let-down for me was the pay. Not only was it monthly instead of weekly (preferable), I also wasn't entitled to receive ANY overtime pay until AFTER Christmas. I worked a lot of overtime. That needs to change for Christmas staff pronto. All in all, a good place to work.
Pros
Always something to do, never boring.
Cons
Often get late notice of shift changes, long hours, monthly pay.
lovely work atmosphere
Very enjoyable job, I started as a Sales advisor and worked up to Supervisor of Childrenswear, which involved organizing timetables for the staff in my department and also distribution of the work load, including merchandising the department and manning the tills. Before I left the job I had started the training program for management.
I have always enjoyed dealing with the public
Pros
Staff discount
Fun Workplace
I have learned from being a sales assistant you need to be confident ,you also learn new things and get to share your ideas with customers.
Lovely environment
Friendly staff,Long hours,great lunch break,learned till management,dealing with customers and general stock recovery
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
difficult customers
Working Environment
I enjoyed working in Debenhams. All fellow staff members were very helpful and nice. I loved the environment on the shop floor and generally enjoyed a busy day of work. The training was very good enabling me to perform well. I learned how to manage time efficiently, give the customers first preference and to obey instructions and hit objectives. The hardest part of the job was working the till on a very busy day.
Pros
extra pay on sundays
Cons
sore on feet all day
Busy and enjoyable
My day was always busy I would always find something to do. I learned how to deal with a lot of different situations that arose during my time in Debenhams. Learned new skills in stock management which I enjoyed, I grew in confidence when managing the floor especially when I was on my own. When working in a team I always got my staff to do their best to make the day go smoothly and get the jobs done to the best of their ability and to get the best out of each person. I never felt my job was hard as I prioritised work for each day and kept calm to get everything done. Working with my co-workers and managers was very enjoyable as I got on with everyone and I wanted to learn more to help improve my role as supervisor.
Pros
Discount and holidays
Cons
Late nights not good hours if you have a family
Good fun
Very good work environment great place to work friendly staff. Loved working there would recommend to anyone applying to
Great Place to work
Learned a lot there in regards to dealing with general public. My sales techniques were refined and improved on. Was the highest seller of store cards in the country.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
No job satisfaction
very good place to work and staff nice people
busy and productive but fun typical day, learned good teamwork,Management were good,co workers great, hardest part of job was the monotany of daily tasks, best part was helping customers and staff.
Pros
Discounted clothing
Cons
hours went up and down
Very productive workplace
A typical day at work in Debenhams was always productive there was always something to do. I learnt about how the world of retail works and also the. My co workers were very friendly and embracing they made it easy for my to fit in. The hardest part of the job was making sure that various clothes where put in their correct places due to size and type of cloth. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with their various difficulty.
Pros
In town
Cons
the
Very repetitive and slow paced job
Although I was employed during the busy Christmas period, working here became very repetitive and the slow pace did not help. Although it had a positive environment, it is not one I would like to pursue a long term career in.
Well run workplace
management are understanding, workplace is productive, learned cooperative skills and time management skills. Co-workers are all nice people, no real difficulties personally with the job.
Enjoyable workplace
To work at Debenhams was really enjoyable place... I learned how to be kind on customer service. How to serve customers at the till
How to focus when customer aren't happy

Tidy up and keep the store clean and nice
Fast paced
Taking turns with co-workers in the changing rooms. Organising the stock on the shop floor by sizes, brands and colours so they are eye catching. Co-workers were very kind. Meet loads of new people.
challenging and enjoyable
Fast pacing work environment. Mangers communicated well with employees. Lots of client interaction on a daily basis, which I enjoyed.
really enjoyable
i loved working in Depenhams, i only did work experience but i really enjoyed working there, the staff are so nice and the customers are really nice too.
great exp.
Brillent great experience of the working life . Really enjoyed my time there and meeting and greeting new people. I learnt a lot of new skills like my communation skills etc.
Pros
helped me inprove my communation skills.
Cons
9 hours a day.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.