Dimension Data

Dimension Data Employee Reviews for Engineer

Engineer10 reviews
A ok place to work with
Lot of exposure to new technologies.
Many benefits such as free beverages and snacks.

Pathetic transport service.

No proper process.

Work culture is very lenient
be wary
My direct management was excellent and overall I enjoyed working for the company but be wary the entire US/UK and Canada groups of my division were suddenly laid off without warning. Our job responsibilities were transferred to our Indian team to cut salary costs. I understand cutting costs and outsourcing but to walk into work one day and be told that you are laid off effective immediately left a sour taste in my mouth. My last job gave us 6 months warning, letting us know that our job would be outsourced. That was more than fair.
Pros
excellent work life balance and direct management
Cons
suddenly laid off without warning
Intern salary for a qualified pro.
Good learning place but DD Cape Town, not a good place for young black pro. Qualifications means nothing. Only place i saw interns with qualifications teach L2 engineers without papers work.
Pros
Exposure to good tech
Cons
Limited to what you can do
productive
backup environment with a broad line of backup technologies. Good environment to work in. Everybody lives within the culture. Contract with standard bank was a god opportunity to learn backups in a huge environment
Good Workplace
Enjoyed working at Dimension Data, very nice office at Observatory.

Everybody is friendly, working very nicely together with everyone.

Very nice canteen and they are the main Tech Sponsor of the Tour De France.
More fun in work place and my colleague are very supportive
Working with a big company is a gift for me, I learned a lot things like Avaya products. Most of the time I am in the client performing maintenance, troubleshooting and etc. The hardest part of my job is to be a standby engineer, if there is an issue I am the responsible to resolve that issue. Sometimes our SD call me late at night and sometimes I need to go to client on weekends. The most enjoyable part is when I assigned to a project to other location.
Shocking
Full of false promises, spend millions on a massive party at the end of the year just to make people redundant a couple of months later. No training whatsoever, HR are an absolute joke, the whole of the company is somewhat incestuous.
Cons
Long hours, no training, redundancies, false promises, poor management
na
Work can sometimes differ from the job role offered - Workplace can be too hectic and demoralizing at times - No personal life - Avgerage salaries
***You've been warned***
The people are nice and say the correct things.
Most co-workers are nice and easy to get along with.

The job is a piece of cake and allows you to work from home some of the time.

They claim they want to see you succeed but there's no formal training provided and very little in house training.

Office politics are high because people want to keep the focus off their inability to manage.

I normally stay clear of these outdated little companies and I was recently reminded why.

NO process documentation so you can be arm chair quarterbacked later.

The good old boy / girl network at play.

The management is the worst I've seen thus far and I've seen bad management before. (people playing the game collecting a check, nothing really to offer).

I'm still trying to figure what the company sells and how they dupe companies in to purchasing the service.

I've seen employee turnover of 25% in less than a year.

People either leave or switch departments (if they have relationships inside the company).

It's a temporary stop for any talented professionals.

The job security is high because who would want to stay.

If you can handle the BS then this is the place for you!!!
Pros
Fun people, decent benefits
Cons
Low paying for the industry / MICRO-management / dead end - no growth potential.
Work Hard Play Hard
This is a wonderful global company to work for. Work and personal life balance is great. People are great, just like family.