Dixons Carphone

Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews

Found 57 reviews matching the search See all 1,524 reviews
Dont work here
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Clondalkin, County Dublin14 January 2020
Dont work worked for there for two years treated awful by the staff, d
there is always problems with pay and never pay over time , constant turn over
Do yourself a favour - find somewhere else to work
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ireland7 January 2020
I applied here because I liked working with technology and liked working with people. However, I quickly came to find that the job from day one is forcing you to hit targets and and is not what you would expect. You are forced to be a robot and sell sell sell. If you miss ONE thing out of a plethora of products you need to sell, the manager gives out to you. The acting manager at the time disclosed they wish they were just a sales consultant as they lived to sell - this was obvious in how they carried out their managerial position covering for a manager. Essentially they didn't really care about me - I was basically just a number that had to sell. Nothing more.

You need to reach a certain amount of sales every month across different areas - failure to meet any of these, and the manager shouts at you, making you feel worthless. These targets (KPIs) also contribute to your commission earned (which by the way is paid 3 months after). Here's how commission works in this stingy company:

- 30% you receive automatically
- The 70% is split up into different channels you need to hit, ranging from contracts to broadband sales

This 70% is almost impossible to get. Doesn't matter if the store is dead or customers don't want to buy the product - you don't hit this you don't get the commission - it all goes into the companies pockets.

The atmosphere can get very intense and heated. When it gets busy, higher ups can't help you very much - and when you do make any sort of mistake, you get scolded to the point where you feel almost useless - not to mention that any mistake you make
  more... in a contract can lead up to €20 being deducted from your pay.

The atmosphere got so bad that an employee had to take a week off due to mental health reasons. The job is seriously mentally draining, and you would feel like this coming home after work (in which sometimes you would have 10-11 hour shifts), especially after some time working in the company. People (especially the higher ups) talk behind employee's backs and are quick to blame one another.

Compared to other companies which only deal with one network, you are paid excruciatingly less than what they are. And at CPW you have to deal with so much more including setting up phones (which the other companies don't do) - all at minimum wage!!!

The only positive aspect of working here is that I actually got on with a good few people here - but like me were miserable working in this job.

To anybody reading this - I was excited to start working here. Please don't ruin your life working for this company.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dublin11 November 2019
Carphone Warehouse is an amazing Job to start off in if you are in collage end of school year etc
Helps you to understand technology alot better and makes you understand how to cope with face to face customer services
Stay clear
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry24 September 2019
What can I say except stay clear of this place, firstly the management, the manager himself is nothing but a bully and his management team are far from qualified to run a store. If you are not part of their click forget about it as favouritism is rife. Expect to be called in on your day off with the promise of a paid day off in return that you will never see. Wages are a joke and constantly wrong and their so called bonus system well it’s easier to find hens teeth than get a bonus
Worst place to work for
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Ballymount, County Dublin7 April 2019
Worst place to work for I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for them management is very poor and when call sick they give u a lot questions to and talk behind your back to other staff
Pros
Cons
Way the management in office treating there staff I would never recommend somebody to work for these
Fantastic oppertunitys, staff and overall work enjoyment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry12 March 2019
I loved my time with currys pc world, The training i recieved was 2nd to none. If you enjoy working in a fast paced, rewarding role then currys is the place for you. All staff were welcoming and so helpful. Great oppertunitys to progress further in the company. I never had any issues with managers or staff, will always help you out whenever they can. Overall just a fantastic place to work
Pros
Friendly co-workers, rewarding salary, hours
Just A Number
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somewhere26 February 2019
I have given quite a lot of my time to this company. Just under 10 years so I think I can give other people an idea what it's like to work in this environment.

The care for staff is their biggest downfall, promised so much and never delivered. Coming first in the country numerous times with sales and promised so much from regional managers all to be taken away from us and not even given a reason why. We were just asked to look at the next target. Keep on pushing while the staff are literally out on their feet.

Been put forward for the best store in the UK/Ireland and told us to get the store into shape, we were down on our knees just to get it right and were promised a visit from the head of CPW to review us and see where we stood on winning. Not even a call was received, the head of CPW just ignored us and the regional managers also just fobbed us off. After given so much into the store the morale was completely taken from us.

But yet we needed to keep going, we are machines, that's the only way they seen us. The regional managers fight among themselves, who had the bigger ego and it spread like wildfire. That puts the staff under extra pressure so someones ego will get a pat on the back but they seem to forget that the staff were down on their knees cleaning just to get some recognition from the insane work that we did. For what exactly.

The pay is ridiculous for the work and responsibility that is expected from you.

Next to no training is giving, you are thrown in the deep end fairly quickly and expected to sell sell and sell.

The only pro's
  more... I had from this job was my work colleagues, that is something I will always take from this place.

Would I recommend working here, Yes if you want to be treated like a machine, but your better than that......You really are.
Pros
You may meet nice people, you may not !
Cons
I could keep going !
Never ever again
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Galway24 February 2019
Staff A+++++ management forget it they don't care about you or other staff plain and simple definitely not worth it at all there a disgrace don't even try this position as a team leader trust me regret is a understatement
Pros
Great sales stff
Cons
Management and targets
work hard/play hard culture
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Santry, Dublin, IE13 December 2018
work hard play hard culture and was undergoing rapid scale at the time. Young workforce and a fun place to work. I learned a lot while working there and still use the skills today.
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo27 October 2018
Worst place to work for is Curry's PcWorld.
Managers don't care about staff and are so fake.
Safely say never ever work for them it's not a nice place and you would see that a few weeks into the job attitudes change.

Don't bother look else were trust me in this it's not worth the stress management hassle.
Pros
None unfortunately
Cons
Pay is pad the managers don't care no chance of advancement
Ok
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Limerick10 October 2018
Worked with great people, however the store was in a bad situation and management rolled the excrement downhill, i need more characters to fill this piece.
Horrible place to work .
Customer support technician (Former Employee) –  Curry's PCworld Limerick2 October 2018
Do yourself a favour and don't come anywhere near this company . After working there for 5 years , it's safe to say it's the worst company I've ever had the misfortune to work for.
Pros
Work colleagues
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, poor everything .
Terrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland4 September 2018
Payment does not reflect targets and whats expected.

No commission based system, their argument is you gain a bonus each month - Less than 50 euro extra a month in most cases.

Just a number, staff are not valued. Staff are their an X amount of years - still on the same pay.

Management very unhelpful - give no incentive for staff to sell and moan when targets are not met - lowers confidence, constantly being compared to other branches.

Internal growth for staff or progression is non existent.

Staff moral is always low. Miserable place to work.

Avoid this company.
Pros
Learning the social aspect and customer service is helpful
Cons
Very basic pay, unrealistic targets, terrible management.
Fun place
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry13 August 2018
Very commission based work . Need to be good with phones and technology. Clear phone voice needed as you will spend a lot of time on phone to phone companies
Disgusting company with Managers to match
Head Office Support (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 August 2018
If you value the make of your car more than the way people behave then you will fit right in. No values or morals, anything goes especially when it comes to people.
Wages
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo Town, County Sligo7 August 2018
The amount of work you have to do and targets for the money the pay is a absolute joke. €9.50 is what they get paid and the amount of stuff you do for that is a joke seriously.

Don't even bother asking for a bouns it's another con job. There is also supposed to be commesion on some things oh guess what you will never get it and still expecting too do what they ask

If this job paid a bonus and also paid €15 a hour which would be more acceptable then.
I would say go for it other then that don't waste your time.
Pros
Great staff look out for each other
Cons
The pay is ridiculous surprised anyone wants to work there for it.
If you to live at work . Work here.
7.5 tonne driver (Former Employee) –  Irl24 July 2018
Worst place you could ever work avoid!!!!
You work 13 hours a day. Vans over loaded. Too many drops. You work thru your Tacho breaks as don't get travel time between drops. Vosa would have a field day here . Drivers taking out their card. Health and safety a joke. Ripping off the elderly
Too much to list
Pros
If your face fits your okay
Cons
Long hours. Overoaded vans . Bad managers
long hours low wage
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, County Cork19 July 2018
I really enjoyed the job itself, engaging with customers and selling but the hours were less than ideal there pay is minimal and they like to keep adding the responsibility and targets with out rewarding efficiently
High expectations, little reward
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 June 2018
Worked for this company for 2 years, couldn't wait to get out in the end. Managers given very little hours to dish out between employees, therefore never had enough staff and if one person was sick the whole place was thrown into turmoil. Pay is just a few cents above minimum wage which is ridiculous for the job your expected to do. High targets and managing contracts and lots of personal details. If one person shines in sales a lot of pressure is put on them to carry the store. If you make a mistake on a contract 20 euro is deducted from your commission, even though you may only actually earn 4 euro in commission for that sale. Very little progression opportunities, often very low staff morale. Only thing that kept me there so long was that all the staff were miserable together. Very high turnover of staff. Definitely not a job for long term.
Pros
Getting to know new technology if your interested
Cons
Low staff, low commission, high deductions from commission
Grand company
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dublin16 April 2018
A good company to work for overall, lots of pleasant people to work with but salary and commission has been lagging behind competitors somewhat recently. Seems to be a company on the up however with many new streamlined processes implemented.
Pros
Almost always more than enough staff working so as to never be to busy
Cons
Can be difficult to deal with people in head office to get issues resolved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.