DLA Piper

DLA Piper Employee Reviews

The management system at DLA Piper is at odds with itself. The attorneys rarely review you and even your supervisor has a tough time getting anything out of them. Especially at the Partner level.
Pros
Bright individuals
Cons
Sometimes that leads to an ego complex.
I loved it. Worked there online for the summer, easy, fun not too fast paced. Interesting things to learn, great pay, enjoyable people and management loved to teach.
Enjoyed working with a team of like minded individuals. We all went above and beyond towards getting the required tasks done for our department. “Direct” managers always had an open door policy and was always willing to receive staff’s input towards making policies better for the workflow. The family feel and trust built made the work environment more like a second home, where you would not only feel supported, but appreciated. Recent years, the environment took a turn due to the consistent structural changes leaving staff feeling overworked, underpaid, and neglected. Job security within our department became a major concern, so for the majority of us whom sacrificed personal time away from our own family towards meeting the high expectations due to limited staff, was faced with a major disappointment.Advice - “Upper” management should pay more attention to the workers who put forth the hard work and sweat behind the scenes otherwise the loss of valuable players will continue. Maybe seeking input from the direct managers within the trenches oppose to relying on marketing statistics will provide realistic insight towards what it takes to keep your employees.
Pros
Remote work options, schedule flexibility, firm events
Cons
Low pay compared to surrounding firms, advancements are more so based on relationships rather then skill set & experience
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at DLA Piper is horrible. They expect you to devote 100% to DLA. I work so many hours away from my husband and kids. It caused alot of conflict. My health was also effected.
It used to be a great place to work back in the day. Now, it is purely corporate and political in nature. Management needs to listen to staff more and take their ideas and suggestions seriously.
Incompetent management. Ask employees to stretch bounds of law. Partners are arrogant and disrespectful. Management does not support morale and cares only about profits.
Pros
Leaving.
Cons
Everything at the job.
One of the most exiting years of my life, that opened for me a great future. I knew I wanted to work for DLA, because I knew the head of DLA Piper Bucharest, and it was my dream to work and learn from him.When I had my interview and he decided that I will build up the Compliance practice, that was a great day.
Cons
One downside: somehow opaque in sharing clients and spreading new ideas
Très bonne expérience professionnelle. J'aurai aimé que cela dure plus longtemps. Bonne ambiance, les gens sont sympas et le travail est correcte
Environnement exigeant et disponibilité permanente
I truly loved working for DLA. Most management are very professional and respectful. The goal is to produce quality work and be considerate of others with little drama. Always learning and growing. A lot of love and laughter at DLA.
Pros
Almost every aspect of DLA is a Pro.
Cons
Training, staff still learning training newer employees
The Firm is large and diverse which will help it succeed in the current economy. It is better positioned given the direction the legal sector is going thanks to strong firm leadership and thoughtful management.
Very Nice local leadership and a welcoming work environment. Lots of fun times amongst staff and attorneys. Entire environment is welcoming and diverse.
Pros
lots of social events
Cons
This place makes you feel sad. Not a good working environment and my department was horrible. No respect and it made you feel like you were being attacked at all times
90% of the employees and lawyers are down to earth and kind. I really enjoyed working at this firm. We were like a family. I have fond memories of working here.
It is a good firm filled mostly with good people. Good management. Excellent geographic and practice group diversity and depth. Pay is good from top to bottom.
Due to the horribly phony, insincere, incompetent, clicky and nasty management and HR staff of DLA Piper, as a non-legal staff member, it was a horrible place to work. Unless there is a significant non-legal staff management change, I would NOT recommend working at this Firm. They are horrible to employees.
There are not many outstanding companies like this one. Great people, interesting and challengingwork, outstanding benefits, superb salary, with training provided and opportunities for advancement.
I cannot comment much as I was only on a work experience placement but what a fantastic opportunity it was to be included in DLA Piper's training scheme.
Love the environment and the diversity of the firm. A typical work day at DLA Piper for the most part is steady. I work in the Business Center where we produce copy, scan and print projects for the clients. It can get busy at times. I've learned working at DLA is putting your clients and their needs first.
I enjoyed my time at DLA, I’ve learned a lot and the people were very nice and helpful. DLA offers great benefits and competitive compensation. DLA also offers great training for professional growth.
I was paid minimum wage to do 50-60hrs a week, doing my own job and that of a paralegal. They would gaslight me into working extra hours because they were permanently understaffed and management (who went home on time everyday and did no extra hours ever) would get angry if I was unable to do extra hours. No benefits for all the overtime work that was done.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, minimum wage
  1. Employee reviews