Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Showing all 33,033 reviews

nice people with a great work environment

Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

no benefits

Ok for first time job

The work is good but the pay is terrible. Too strict for what they pay and recognition at all. The people were great, manager not so great. Can't make a living by yourself at this place.

Pros

People

Cons

Pay

Corporation Rule, the individual has no power

Easy in and easy out. You as a person are not of value. A ton of work responsibilities with pay that does not equate. Toxic management, they value the submissive over the cooperative talent. High employee turn over rate.

Cool

Decent pay, terrible management, unruly work conditions. Hard labor. Want their sales associated to perform 10 jobs at once. I generally worked well with others until management stepped in.

Management doesn’t care. Long hours, favoritism, they work you every day 24/7 and is really hard to use your pto. You have to wait to get your vacation if someone has scheduled before you.

Alright job

Pay is not to well 9 an hour for cashier gets really busy most of the time always stocking and have to keep checking register for customers back and forth gets really tiring and exhausting not recommend for the hours and pay

Management is awful

I would never work for this company again. I loved the actual work but Management has no clue of training. You work your butt off for nothing. Employees do what they want with no consequences

Does not pay well, does not care about employees

Dollar General expects too much out of employees and does not come anywhere close to making up for that in pay. The company does not care about employees lives and does not care about anything other than making money.

Pros

You get paid sometimes

Cons

Too much pressure, Not treated fairly, overworked, underpaid, uncared for

Life Sucker

Working here will literally take the life out of your eyes. Store manager is made to keep store open if you have call offs or are understaffed. You’re given so much freight but no hours or support to actually get it done.

Pros

Communication

Cons

80 hour work weeks, No hours, to much freight, no support

They make you work for it

Every location only has 2 people working at any given time, unless its audits or 15 min overlap in schedule, so you end up doing a bit of everything. The problem is that they expect the cashier to ring up customers and unload atleast 3 rolltainers a shift. Every manager I've had says its possible, but when they are stuck having to help with the line and then do their rolltainers its impossible. 3 people, if they just had 3 ppl a shift it wouldnt be bad.

Pros

Paid weekly

Cons

Short breaks, management can't leave on break, too much responsibility

Just disappointing

The workers dont get enough hours. Some the manager and the assistant are rasict and they treat customer like animals. Im 18 and they thought they was go cut my hours. My pay was 60 dollars for one week.

Exhausted, overworked, bad management

Working at Dollar General was the worst work experience in my life, I was exhausted and stressed all the time, running back and forth between putting stuff up and customers, constant nagging from Assistant manger, then getting wrote up for something I didn’t do. Some company this turned out to be. Store closing early when I went to clock in. Never again will I EVER work here.

Not worth it. Find something else

So much work for so little pay and will try to make you stay past the end of your shift. Will try to make you when even if you're sick. Work environment was toxic. Especially when dealing with customers.

Great place

This is such a great place to work and the pay is very competitive. The place is set up nicely and the manager is the biggest piece of trash!!

Fun workplace

Things was fun at first but started to change sometimes a job can be really cool and other times, but that’s just how jobs are hopefully one day things get better

nothing

management like to talk down to their store managers and work you to death. there is no balance between home life and work. They expect more out of one person and expect a miracle over night

thay dont care if a family member may die or is very sick. thay tell you to come to work or your fired.this really happent to me. i don't think any one should work for the dollar general

Manager was Bad

Managment in this Dollar General was intense. Many promises, no return. Favoritism at it's finest. It was plain tourcher on some days. Manager loved to bark orders, but never helped with projects. Manager was always late, hours late. Sometimes no call no show.

I loved my job…but

Loved my job but dg didn’t give enough hours for the store to get freight out and on the shelf for customers to buy. You only had so many hours a week and the manager had to make up the rest. even if it meant working alone. it would be an awesome place to work if only they would give the managers more hours and they paid employees better..

Worst Place I've Ever Worked

I worked here for almost 4 years and it was the lowest point of my life. I went from 4 panic attacks a week to none at all after I quit. This company doesn't care about it's employees. All they care about is how much product they push out the door. They overwork you to the point of exhaustion and then write you up when you can't keep up anymore. I hurt my back so bad I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and my first day back they put me in a department where I had to lift whole pallets worth of 50+ pound cases. And then wrote me up for not making rate. I had to take FMLA again because it threw my back out again. No job is worth this mistreatment.

Thrown in

You're sort of just thrown in day one with little training and you're left to man the store by yourself. There were so many things I didn't know but when I asked, there was very little explanation. Honestly it just seemed like management didn't want to take the time to train, which I do understand since the turnover rate is high. It was just frustrating as it felt like everyday of work was a "fend for yourself" sort of day, and that's hard for someone who wants to do well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement