Dunnes Stores Employee Reviews

strict workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry4 September 2019
Was working on the evening shift so never started work till 6 each evening. didn't mind at the time as I was in college so it balanced out well. when it came to the summer months became more difficult as it was bit annoying knowing you must go to work in the evening.
Good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandyford, County Dublin4 September 2019
Good place to work, friendly people and friendly management. Hours can be tough. Pay could be better as it does not reflect level of responsibility. Not many opportunities to progress but they are there for a select few.
Could be better
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin24 August 2019
The management (mostly the head manager and some of the department managers while other department managers are very nice) act as if they own their workers, very rude and often treat them horribly which creates a horrible atmosphere. Pay is decent and often forced 25+ hours on part timers.
Good job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castlebar, County Mayo22 August 2019
Worked for nearly two years here as Shop Assistant. Good job stability & good pay. Salary gets higher the longer you work at the company which is a big positive. A lot of customer service & communication skills gained. Hours might be difficult for some people so you have to adapt.
Good wage and friendly coworkers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway20 August 2019
Good wage as paid well and extra on sundays and given good holidays. also good for when need to request time off. Floor managers were good and enjoyed working with coworkers.
great enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary15 August 2019
I felt that during my time here my retail experience grew to a new level. I had more responsibilities than previous work experiences and I feel that this helped build my confidence
Pros
great people
Busy and fast paced
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin12 August 2019
Typical day included, stocking shelves, facing off the store, if required i would go on tills. The hardest part about this job was the late night shifts.
Educational, Enjoyable, Friendly.
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 August 2019
In the morning we get assigned to a specific job stocking shelfs, floor clean up etc.

when we are finished (if not instructed to a different assignment) we face off goods, help out consumers etc.

management was very helpful and friendly.

Although I only worked here for a short period of time, I have learned a lot

For me the most enjoyable part of the job was how much I learned from this experience

The hardest part of the job was fixing a broken freezer
Workplace
Traffic Controller and Pusher Trolley (Current Employee) –  Dublin7 August 2019
The team is very close, you can use the kitchen, a kind of refectory.
You can use the microwave, refrigerator, you can bring food from home or buy at the market and prepare, if you prefer you can buy at the restaurant that is inside the mall. Missing a location aid, and also improve car park signage.
Pros
We can use the kitchen free
Management style very old fashioned and poor pay
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtownmountkennedy5 August 2019
The Management style in Dunnes hasn’t changed in 40 years; no lee way either as it’s an autocratic style so Dunnes way or no way!; zero contracts are the norm. Pay is bad considering the amount of work expected
Pros
Great teamwork with staff and craic with locals
Cons
Antisocial hours and poor communication between managers
Avoid if possible
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork3 August 2019
As management you receive minimum training and are expected to work over time, less than progressive wage, unrealistic expectations. When something is going well and are exceeding expectations you receive no clarity of the fact but then looks for a reason to make his staff look worse. Still in the old school ethos and I doesn't follow proper probation meetings. Avoid is a must
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mallow, County Cork2 August 2019
Management haven't a clue what there doing favouritism is an obvious issue between management and staff anger problems with managers on top of all male managers being sexist check out staff feel as if they have some entitlement whitin the store and look down upon all other staff no sense of job safety as your always threatened with firing over small things Managers sit out the back all day on phones wayching videos and do nothing but give out
solo but enjoyable
Store Assistance (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin31 July 2019
at start of shift you're assigned to an isle to manage. sometimes you get to interact with customers for recommend products. if you are on dairy, it fun run in and out for cheeses. from multiples days of enjoyment from working I learn that not every single produce is required to be put up. culture is a plus for both solo and team. while working alone you can hit up with the person beside your isle for wheelies to save space in the isle. the most difficult part is when your stock low or cant find that one produce on the list of items. the best part of working for dunnes is there is no time limits on how you do it but it have to be neat and tidy.
Pros
in shopping center, sizable hours, staff 10% discount
Cons
solid 4 hours of policies at introduction, locating items in warehouse
Nice First Job
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 July 2019
Worked here for a month in December of 2018, worked checkout. I was trained very well for this position. The management and other staff were very helpful for getting me ready for this role and I enjoyed working as a checkout operator. That being said, I don't see myself wanting to work checkout longer than a month in any location.
Pros
Cons
Monotonous
Having worked for Dunnes rating **
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry28 July 2019
not a nice company to work for,staff were constantly called to office for warnings over silly things, just to pass the day for the management, you weren't allowed to have conversations with customers just take there money & go into the next customer, never ask for a change in a shift as they would do the opposite .overall rating 50 because met great friends for life
thriving and friendly workplace
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishopstown, County Cork22 July 2019
I really enjoyed my time working for dunnes stores. the management and staff i worked with were always so friendly and helpful when teaching and introducing me to the reigns of how the deli was handles and what steps and tasks were to be taken throughout the day.
Pros
10% off with staff card. was allowed to be shared with family and friends
Cons
no bus routes close to the workplace
Dont work for them
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Tallaght, County Dublin18 July 2019
Worked in dunnes for 3 years and met some amazing people, Managers are arseholes which no doubt comes from up above, pay is good if it was minimum wage nobody would work for dunnes
Pros
Cons
No life
H yn un h
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork16 July 2019
PROS

Hours
Pay
Flexible for students
Time and a half on Sunday

CONS

Hard on the body initially
Working very late
Boring and repetitive
Lazy Coworkers getting away with the bare minimum
Hectic at Christmas
Management treats us like were disposable
Mixed feelings
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth4 July 2019
PROS

Hours
Pay
Flexible for students
Time and a half on Sunday

CONS

Found social aspect toxic (drinking, smoking, bitchiness)
Coworkers on your back if they thought you werent quick enough
Sexist (in my opinion)
Hectic at Christmas
Management treats us like were disposable
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo3 July 2019
- i enjoyed working here as the management were lovely and very welcoming.
- i enjoyed interacting with customers on a daily basis.
- staff were a delight.
Pros
discounts