Dunnes Stores

Dunnes Stores Employee Reviews

Found 925 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,149 reviews

Tough hours

Good for beginners, i.e students. Poor management and no consideration for your life outside of work. Tough to change hours but good pay, draining work

Bullying management

I have worked for bigger organisations but working in dunnes is like stepping back in time senior management are stuck with dictatorship. No support 25 staff have left in the last few months. Management is toxic Would not recommend.

Cons

To many lock ups

Very fast paced role

Typical day at work was very receptive. Very little interaction between management and staff which makes it very hard to approach managers. A lot of the managers have ZERO communication skills. Customers are usually fine, difficulty with managers mostly very bad with staff and made it unpleasant to work at.

Pros

Coupons at Christmas

Cons

Toxic Managers

Nice place

Really nice people to work with, very enjoyable and nice busy working environment. Pay is good and you just work at your own pace as long as you get the work done

Pros

Pay

Shait

Fairly bad management bad pay rate unfair hours. Never would they hel you with an appointment or to change your hours for ya. Totally management orientated company

Simple work

the work tasks are very simple and easy to understand. The first superiors are approachable, ready to repeat the work task several times and even show it. Work colleagues are very correct and ready to help

Pros

Discount

Cons

Terrible company to work for

Horrible experience from start to finish. Lack of direction from higher management. No clear learning path for trainee managers. A stressful, lonely work environment

Pros

Absolutely none

Cons

Long hours, lack of support, cronyism, undervalue people, treat all employees like they're of no value, no benefits, pension, etc.

Overworked

One of the worst places I've ever had to work. This is the Dunnes Stores in McDonagh Junction Kilkenny. Managers are bipolar, they will overwork you till you are stressed to the maximum, staff are beyond rude, and stuck up, dont expect a warm welcome or a hello no matter how long you've been working there. You will be expected to work until 4am everynight including weekends, They will call you on your days off and expect you to drop everything and rush into work within the hour they ring, if not they will cut your hours, HR is an absolute joke and should be looked into, one of the best decisions of my life was leaving this toxic unbearable environment.

Pros

Cons

Long draining hours till 4am, Co workers, Managers, Hr

Pretty bad experience

Not a great place to work, pay is ok work is hard and the managers aren't very pleasant people to work with, otherwise the job is fine. People don't leave jobs, they leave managers.

Pros

Ok pay

Do not recommend

Management are unfair and stress you way too much. Give you trouble if you call in sick. So many people have quit over the past few months and it is clearly understaffed.

Pros

Decent pay

Don’t recommend

I have lots of stories from dunnes, I’ve been there for 2 years. I’ve had managers tell me I can’t have a day off when I’m sick, I’ve been shouted at in front of everyone by a manager. They expect too much out of you and put too much stress on you. The hours are terrible, especially during college working until 12am and you have to get up for college in the morning then, very unsociable hours if you’re on evenings.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Stressful work

Work LIfe

Hi all,I found the experience was great. I have gained good customer service skills I like the way I had different duties each day. I enjoyed helping others on the job. The work life balance does not exist they expect you to work constantly.

Pros

Gained alot of knowledge

Cons

Work life balance

Productive working place, lot's to learn.

Good place to work,Not good communication between workers and menagment.Lot of things to learn from all departments.Can be friendly place to work if you are willing to give your self 100%.

Pros

Vouchers, discounts, good experience

Cons

Long working hours

Productive and fun workplace

Very pleased when I was offered seasonal work there, staff are always friendly and more than happy to help newcomers. Training at the start is very comprehensive which is a major plus.

Pros

Good pay

Last resort

Ideal for summer / part time student job. Not longterm. Management are childlike in their mannerisms. Time keeping is essential but as much as 1 minute over and you are penalised. No pay for any hour you work over 39 hrs even though rostered. Treatment of staff is very poor. Discount card is a handy 10%off shopping but not worth it when the pay is excruciating and you learn to dread going to work daily.

Pros

10% discount card instore limited amount. €500

Cons

Poor management, Unfair staff treatment, Discrimination against "odd" colour hair beards and tattoos.

Awful

Been there 7 plus years, gone downhil in the last year. Management don't care or respect you, you are just a number. Some staff treated differently to others , unfair.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Lovely Place to work

I really enjoyed my time working for dunnes, The Staff and Management were all so Friendly and we all got along so well which made your day of work much more enjoyable and happy.

Good workplace

The job is very good at Dunnes, the people are very nice and the work is good, the management is not overbearing and they are generally fair with people and allow them to do their own work without too much supervision. Overall a good pace to work.

Pros

Work Culture, people and management.

Cons

Working late.

Would never go back

Great pay for an okay job. Staff are lovely and are really friendly. Majority of managers are on a power trip and have no idea how to treat their staff. For the amount of work you do with no appreciation and just stress the money isn’t worth your mental health. If you have an issue in the job they really don’t care and won’t help whatsoever the managers are bully’s

Pros

Discount card

Cons

under appreciated, managers are bully’s

Horrible

Just don’t work there. If you're young, please respect yourself enough to use your ambition and want for a sense of purpose, somewhere where it will be appreciated and not manipulated. I worked in there for a year and a half. HR, managers, most people on the shop floor, are all manipulative people. It’s simple, if you see yourself being somewhere in 5 years time. Don’t waste your time with these up starts. I’ve seen better on the end of a shoe. I will say, one of the most important lessons I’ve learned while working there, is not to roll over but bark back at the people who are abusing your good nature. Don’t take it. So in a sense I’m thankful for that. Was it worth the mental anguish? You can ask the bags under my eyes. The most vindicating thing about working there, was day I left.

Cons

Poor engagement or clarity of expectations

Negative culture where staff are treated unfairly;overworked and underdevelopedLacked structure and development of staffHours too long and little opportunity for advancement Staff and management often treated poorly

Pros

Discount

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunnes Stores. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement
  • Dunnes Stores
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?