Galway Bay Hotel Employee Reviews

Hospitality
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Salthill, County Galway12 December 2019
If your looking to advance in the hospitality industry there's no better place to learn and grow than the GBH. It caters for so many different conferences and events, as well as the various departments in the hotel. There's great room to advance and gain lots of knowledge.
Absolutely awful workplace, DO NOT work here.
Bar Person/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Salthill, County Galway15 August 2019
I have never experienced as bad a workplace in the first five minutes of arriving there.

As soon as I arrived for my trial I was told that if I don’t comply with their super strict dress code (I had black jeans and black shoes on but apparently that wasn’t good enough. Had to be black slacks and purely black shoes with no hint of other colours)

I was made fun of for not being able to afford any better shoes, because I’d spent the last of my money on the pants I was forced to buy by the staff on duty during my trial. I was made to walk 3.2km in the rain to and back to the hotel to get those pants and then I couldn’t afford the shoes because I’d spent it on the pants. Then, the staff member on duty asked me to repeat the fact that I couldn’t afford shoes, for the other staff to hearand humiliated me further by making me lean over the bar and repeat back to him what shoes all the staff wore.

Absolutely horrendous place to work, don’t bother wasting your time here. I told their HR departsment and got absolutely no response back.

Their wage is barely competitive if that at all so it’s not worth the effort whatsoever with the attitude the staff give.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Terrible staff who you just cannot work alongside whatsoever
Stage
Serveur polyvalent (Former Employee) –  Galway24 May 2019
J’ai apprécié de voir l'organisation D’un autre pays et de travailler dans un hôtel. J’ai appris beaucoup de vocabulaires
Pros
Langue
Cons
Le temps
Good tips, bad work & life balance
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Galway15 May 2019
Worked in the hotel restaurant for years. It was a good craic, we were all a good team working in a very fast pace environment, the stress caused by it was affecting all staff members, from the waiting staff n management to the chefs. You had to be perfectly organised, keep smiling widely to the customers whilst thinking how to be in 10 different places in the same time: in the kitchen where food was waiting, on another floor to look for a teaspoon (lack of comunication between the departments) and at your approx 8 tables (2-6 people at each) you had to serve at the same time, quick yet efficiently. The fault of that was that the restaurant was poorly managed, giving way too much pressure on one person with their policy of saving money on staff. The roster was always prepared last minute, for the minimum table coverage, and it was constantly changing- if there were cancellation you would be send home, if the reservations were increasing you would receive a phone call on your day/just evening/just morning off asking to come asap.
If you need a summer job, and they always need people for summer, you're desperate and fully flexible, go for it. You will grow an extra set of arms and legs.
Don't think about this job for a long-term. You will work on summer time more than you ever wanted, starting in November you will have no hours.
Pros
Good tips, free food (leftovers), beautiful view, good craic
Cons
Incredibly irregular life style, exhausting shifts (on split you need to be there in the morning and evening), constantly changing roster, extremely busy summer, deadly quiet November-February..
Poor Management and Organisation
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Galway1 March 2019
Shifts would regularly extend long into the night with no warning or extra break. Often Managers did not coincide with each other about guests. Lack of organisation in the bar and between bar and restaurant. Slight exploitation of staff.
Pros
Free Luches
Cons
Shifts not guaranteed to end on time
Great place,nice hotel
Galway - Waitress (Former Employee) –  Galway14 November 2018
Customer service,prepared cold and hot bufet.
Diffrent shifts.Experience on the weddings.Working with nice people,learned every day new things.
The worst it was working on 2 shifts during one day.
Pros
free food on the breaks
Cons
long evenings
Anonymous Business
Food & Beverage Assistant - Tending bar (Former Employee) –  Salthill, County Galway24 October 2018
The management is lacklustre, at best. There's no order nor is there anyone who can constructively assist you as an employee. The pay is terrible for the hours that you work and rarely, were you paid on time, there was always some excuse for negligence that was 'someone else's fault'. Fine for temporary work but if you're planning on working here full-time, may God have mercy on you.
Pros
Free dinner (if you got a break)
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistencies for pay, no tips unless the manager at the time decides to share, just a terrible place to work.
Poor management but excellent staff
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Salthill, County Galway8 June 2018
Staff in the hotel are all very good, duty managers are all excellent are their job but upper management is unfriendly and unhelpful. Pay is laughable and the treatment of staff in terms of advancement and improved pay is also laughable
Pros
Staff are excellent good team work and free lunches
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, bad management
Poor wages terrible staff
accommodation assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway5 June 2018
Accommodation is full of unfair management where you’re expected to do so much work for so little money. The wage is unlivable on and the management is unfair and unfriendly
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor wages
hard but enjoyable
Bartender /Waiter (Former Employee) –  Galway Bay, County Galway28 August 2017
extremely fast paced work. learn lots on the job and meet lots of new people. need to have good social skills and be a fast learner. no room for error.
Pros
free lunches, good co-workers
Cons
unsocial hours
Lovely Staff
Commis Chef (Current Employee) –  Galway Bay, County Galway14 November 2016
I really enjoy working in the hotel, I'm not looking for a new job because of the staff or anything it's just that I would like to improve on my baking a pastry skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours sometimes
F&B Assistant
F&B Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway, G20 December 2015
Every day I had to check, if all employees came to work. I had to check how many guests were supposed to come, check if the restaurant was clean and all tables setted. I worked one step ahed and prepare all documents and paperwork for the next following day.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Overtime job
Great Hotel in Oranmore surrounded with Golf Course
waiter (Former Employee) –  Galway, Oranmore, Ireland11 November 2015
Great experience, my first place to work in Ireland, fantastic overview of Galway Bay, busy hotel, golf players, lot of fun
fun place to work
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Ireland19 March 2015
management is good to work with, u learn a lot, quite a close net team. hardest part is when it gets really busy. the most enjoyable when everything goes smoothly.
Pros
free lunches, live round the corner
Cons
long hours, living away from home
Very productive, high quality friendly workplace
Chef De Partie (Former Employee) –  Galway, Ireland1 April 2014
Great hard working team producing great looking tasting food, high standard of food quality and management. 8-10 hour work shifts, always get full break everyday. Working in clean organized environment. everyone pulls their own weight.
Fun,great enviornment
Porter (Former Employee) –  catering12 November 2013
Many different duties to do
Had great management to supervise
Learnt people skills
Pros
Porter
Fast-paced office with busy working environment
Sales and Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Galway, Ireland3 January 2013
A typical day included reaching sales calls targets, identifying potential new customers, contacting current clients, devising new strategies to attract clients. I was also in charge of social media and SEO management. From time to time, situations wold arise where your help was needed in different areas so it was important to be flexible and willing to help.