GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 50 reviews matching the search See all 8,041 reviews
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin6 October 2019
Everyone was nice it as a good working environment the Manager treated everyone nicely the pay was given out evenly I have no complaints about the job
Pros
Good money
Cons
I had to travel far
transition year student (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal20 August 2019
Great place to start a great career , hour wage could be a bitter for the start but everything apart of that is great , great atmosphere within team members.
Toxic and chaotic work environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Dublin26 April 2019
Don't work here, unless you're really desperate. When I was working in store, staff were being constantly threatened by head office to sell, sell, sell an embarrassing amount of 'extras' at the till. And the incentive to sell? Well, if you don't reach your targets, you will be disciplined. Simple as. The cherry on the cake, is that all members of staff in a store (bar the manager) receive minimum wage. No bonuses or raises for long term members of staff. Nothing. There was numerous times were I was left to manage the store I worked in, because head office couldn't source a manager. As a keyholder, I was left to manage a busy (and understaffed) store. I was doing payroll, rostering staff, opening/closing, auditing/stock-keeping, interviewing new staff. No bonus, no manager pay. Just minimum wage.

There is also a culture of bullying in stores, there are some very nasty managers whose behaviour is ignored in large part by head office. The bullying amongst managers can range from verbal abuse, to cutting your hours and giving them to his/her favourite member of staff. Whatsapp groups created by managers to mock their own members of staff too, it's vile.

Honestly, my mental health improved the day I left this toxic work environment and I haven't looked back since. I'm sure there are some nice managers and stores left in the company, but how head office facilitates such a toxic workplace and damaging culture is really beyond me.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Untrained managers, low pay, depressing environment
Gamestop
Sales area (Former Employee) –  Mayo Abbey, County Mayo26 March 2019
great company to work with with many benifits even dou i was only there for a short time hours were quite nice also with sundays off so couldnt complain
Fun workplace
Merchandising administrator (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin25 January 2019
Very Good work environment. I was an intern here , but they treated me as a part of them.
very fun job for those who like challenges and new things everyday and also Games!
Pros
A good place to work
Cons
None!
I didn't have a good experience
Account Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin27 November 2018
The environment is really bad. Very bossy people working there in the management. It was a bad experience overall. Very difficult to learn something as the organization is very bad.
anti productive
Key holder/Sales-assistant (Former Employee) –  Sligo14 November 2018
bad work ethic created with bad advertising and lower ideal sales targets. Due to new province managers and overall leaders. Loved it upon first starting but the gentleman who got xtra vision shut down within two years of being the manager of all Ireland stores managers and sales techniques, got that place closed, and I would perhaps wager we will see a similar closing of alot of gamestop branches in Ireland and will remain open in Dublin and other very highly populated cities.
Pros
great customers
Cons
horrid work ethic/anti sales approaches ordered by regional managers
no payment
stock check, cleaning, organize shelving (Current Employee) –  dublin city centre12 November 2018
very boring as I stand around all day stacking the same shelves that don't need stacking
but the employees are lovely
its okay I just don't like traveling into town
Pros
good lunch time and leaving time.
Cons
boring
good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Finglas, County Dublin24 October 2018
Good work environment would recommend for gaining experience in a busy retail environment with opportunity to progress into a managers role...........
Ridiculous expectations for little benefit
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 October 2018
A typical day would include keeping the floor tidy, talking to customers on the floor or at the till, testing consoles, trading in games, processing games, restocking the floor, tidying the collectibles/t-shirts, hoovering, mopping, and counting up the cash at the end of the day.

For all it's faults, I did learn a lot here (hence 2 stars instead of one). Customer service skills learned here can be brought into pretty much every other job you go to. This includes diffusing tense situations, creating a rapport, and so on.

Management is.... So so. I don't want to go too much into it for fear of being defamatory. In terms of my actual managers, they have generally been at least alright.

Workplace culture is actually alright. I enjoyed working with most of my colleagues, though a few unpleasant people made their way into the workforce. Most were great, and made the job (almost) worthwhile. There were other people that would sell their own mother to get ahead, and those people seemed to go far.

The hardest part were the KPIs and the way management expects too much of the people actually working with the customers. Staff turnover has increased monumentally since I started because the demands of the job are not worth the minimum wages that are given. There are no bonuses for selling the right things. When customers come in, we need to convince them to buy a million different things, when all they wanted was a game. I appreciate that KPI's are a natural part of any retail job, however GameStop takes it to the extreme. We had to hit each of these, plus keep the shop looking
  more... well throughout the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other staff members and having the chats with customers who have a shared interest or humour.
Pros
Retail experience
Cons
Few benefits, theft, unreasonable expectations
very fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arklow, County Wicklow9 September 2018
Due to my keen interest in the product that they sell i found this a really great place to work. There were a variety of tasks to perform all of which made the day pass really quickly.
Pros
The merchandise
Cons
long walk to work
A great experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Sligo City Centre, County Sligo16 August 2018
although i only did work experience there i was treated as a regular employee and there was a great degree of professionalism when dealing with any problems that arose. During a typical day i would clean shelves, process trade ins, prepare console for resale and sometimes i would help customers. Great place to work.
Pros
good hours, very comfortable place to work, friendly staff
productive and fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundrum, County Dublin12 August 2018
manager at the time was lovely and always helped to make sure you reached your goals. was a very nice place to work with good staff and good management.
Empresa muito Dinamica
Assistente de Gerente (Current Employee) –  County Galway6 August 2018
Muito foco no cliente.
Dia normal é sempre muito cheia as lojas com uma base muita alta de clientes fieis.
A empresa oferece treinamentos basicos e avancado depedendo do seu proprio desenvolvimento.
O Local de trabalho é bem leve e com pessoas muito legais e eficientes.
Mais complicado sempre sao os Clientes que estao tendo um dia ruim, mas nao deixar isso estragar o seu dia é a chave para continuar tendo uam boa performance.
A melhor parte é o Reconhecimento.
Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kildare17 July 2018
Work environment is great as you are surrounded by an amazing atmosphere. It's really fun being part of the gaming industry - you get to learn so much about the field.
Fun work place and enviroment
Floor staff (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth7 June 2018
Typical day involves immediate sign in, shop floor management, stock replenishment, dealing with customers, hitting targets via sales and aiding customers with all queries they may have.
Pros
Great working enviroment
Cons
Bad communication between out of shop management levels
Good place to work but has cons.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin26 April 2018
I did enjoy working in gamestop. The work was not difficult, and the environment was relaxed. However the competition between staff sometimes brought tension into the workplace. There was not many staff-benefits such as discounts etc.
Pros
Relaxed workplace
Cons
Competition and no benefits
productive and entertaining place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bray, County Wicklow12 April 2018
A typical day at work was to provide customers with an enjoyable experience among the gamming community . What I learned was that although management wasn't the easist to work with it didnt effect how much i enjoyed working there and how everyday gave me a positive outlook on life and would love to work in that environment again
Pros
store discounts
Cons
Christmas rush
Fantastic
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dungarvan, County Waterford18 January 2018
Best place ever to work, I am loyal customer to game stop. The job itself was not hard or easy as it was the perfect job to work in. The staff were all nice to me.
Weeks Internship (Former Employee) –  Dublin3 January 2018
Gamestop is a good place to work as the managers and staff are really welcoming. The salary isnt the best but its a fair amount of money for the work you do. Christmas is a nightmare tho. You come across your fair share of rude customers too
Pros
Discount, Nice managers
Cons
Rude customers, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

52K