Play YouTube video button
Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club

Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club Employee Reviews

Featured review
Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club selected this as a representative review
Food & Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, Co. Kildare21 January 2019
I spent 6 1/2 years here and it was a great place to work.
My days were always different where it could be dealing with weddings, large functions and conferences.
I enjoyed working with all team members.
Pros
Promotion, bonuses, great team
Give this place a miss
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare28 November 2019
GM and Sales manager have not got the experience to run an establishement like the Glenroyal. Not enough training for staff. HR Manager never seen to be engaging with staff and not enough support for department heads. Very hard to get staff.
20 years experience I have never seen a place run so bad.
Not worth it
Accomodation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare6 October 2019
Training is decent and general staff are very friendly. Management not great and take advantage of staff. Too little notice for the roster and never given weekends or bank holidays off. This was very difficult to plan your normal/social life around. Too much work for one employee due to being understaffed. Not given time and a half for Sundays or Bank holidays and the wage isn't worth the money. Split shifts also a part of the job.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly staff.
Cons
Split shifts, overworked, low wage, weak work/life balance.
Official response from Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club
16 October 2019

Hello,

I am glad to hear your feedback on training and staff members. I am sorry to hear you had this experience. We are working with the teams and management to make improvements every day. If you wish to discuss your feedback further, please email me directly on talent@glenroyal.ie

Best wishes
Talent team

Focus more in the actual work not in the budget in every department
Porter/Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare30 September 2019
Focus more in the actual work not in the budget in every department.
For example in the accommodation dept, each week is different and sometimes the work that is being done is worth more than what the hotel is giving us in our budget
colleagues were sound, but management were impossible
dogsbody (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare16 January 2019
i made lots of friends working here, but the hotel boss is a micro-manager who is always in your face, and is more interested in image than in doing things right. i was often assigned jobs that were outside my department that i wasn't trained in, and then getting a hard time when they weren't done right, like being assigned work in the leisure centre. manager is more interested in cutting corners and giving you a fake smile than he is in doing things properly. very long days here and total lack of organisation.
Pros
staff are sound
Cons
manager is clueless and only interested in image
Do not look after decent staff
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare31 May 2018
The staff working here are lovely but management have absolutely no respect or gratitude for the decent staff. Very large number of staff leaving and new staff starting in a short time, unfair letting go of staff and do not treat their staff well at all. Pay not good for the work load and hours some staff have. It is a pity as most of the staff and guests are lovely but as an employee your just a number, very bad experience working here and witnessed bad experiences for other staff that left or were let go!
productive and fun placeto work
Fitness Instructor and personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Kildare24 September 2017
A typical day is a 6 or an 8 hour shift.

I have learned that presentation and good standards are key to members being happy and content.

Management kept a close eye on the leisure club to make sure jobs were getting done and that we remained to keep our personal standards.

The culture of the business is to create an environment for people to come in and exercise freely and easily at their own pace. Likewise, if you want to come in for relaxation, the 2 pools and hydrospa area is a relaxing area for members to unwind and switch off.

The hardest part of the job wold be to try and keep everybody happy and satisfied however that is very hard but rewarding when a member acknowledges your hard work.

the most enjoyable part of the job is giving people their fitness routines and seeing results that make them happy. That is one of the most enjoyable moments to have in an industry like ours.
Pros
free access to the leisure club
Cons
shift work
Fun Place, busy environment
Night Duty Manager, Receptionist, Barman, Waiter (Former Employee) –  Ireland21 March 2014
Great development work. You can learn excellent cutover service and diplomacy. Difficult to organise work life balance because employees are required to work on weekends and till late hours. Great team work but ocassionally can be exhausting. Strongly recommend to anyone who want to progress in customer service.
Pros
Free food, great team environment.
Cons
Weekends & night work, long hours, very limited wages.
A typical day at work
Gym Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cill Dara, KE8 October 2013
I worked in Glenroyal Hotel in the Leisure Centre. I had to clean the machines, make sure that all the free weights were put back on the rack after people had used them, took part in teaching little children how to swim, gave a helping hand up in the aerobics studio room setting & tidying up after the classes, took the pool tests after every hour and made sure that the toilets, showers and the changing rooms were clean.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club Reviews by Location